• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I would only think eggman or tails would be ok but I don't really even like the idea. Other Sega characters like toe jam and earl battletoads and earthworm Jim are from big games but don't have a big enough following. I think megaman ryu and sonic are all the perfect representation because these are the only he franchises in my opinion big enough and these are the faces of those titles.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Has anyone ever had it in the back of their head that Nintendo could just go "The Ballot is closed. Thank you for your participation!" and leave it at that after the deadline has been reached?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I would only think eggman or tails would be ok but I don't really even like the idea. Other Sega characters like toe jam and earl battletoads and earthworm Jim are from big games but don't have a big enough following. I think megaman ryu and sonic are all the perfect representation because these are the only he franchises in my opinion big enough and these are the faces of those titles.
Battletoads belong to Rare who are owned by MS (*insert silly MS hate comment here*). Earthworm Jim belongs to Interplay.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone ever had it in the back of their head that Nintendo could just go "The Ballot is closed. Thank you for your participation!" and leave it at that after the deadline has been reached?
I actually think they will reveal a character immediatly, but then they will drag the thing with something like "He's not the only character coming, stay tuned for more news!" to keep people interested and hyped.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Send your HD refrence images of characters you want to SmashifiedArt@gmail.

I'm sending ones for Impa, Slime/Hero, Bayonetta (make sure they do her good) and Medusa.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Send your HD refrence images of characters you want to SmashifiedArt@gmail.

I'm sending ones for Impa, Slime/Hero, Bayonetta (make sure they do her good) and Medusa.
Look, Smashified is cool and all, but it doesn't really belong here imo. It has nothing to do with DLC character development.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, several people have suggested that. However, I don't think they will do it that way.

I have a feeling we will only get 1 more veteran for DLC.

Anyway, here's a good video on the more stages thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBQ1Rx70t4
Most people think we'll only get 1 more veteran, if that. I'm of the opinion that we won't even get another veteran if we've only got 2 DLC characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Has anything official suggested that there are only 2 characters left, though?
The ryu updates had 2 unused characters slots essentially confiming that AT LEAST there's 2 characters left.

There's a theory that we would be getting that amount, but there's no way to tell. Personally, I think 2 OR 3 are kinda likely with 2 being much more, but I think 4 is where it starts to be unlikely.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Has anything official suggested that there are only 2 characters left, though?
No, but a lot of people think so because of the "two slots" left in the roster, and because the Wii U roster can only fit two more characters, plus there's enough room for two more characters on certain views of the website's character list you see at the bottom of various pages.

Its all just a series of coincidences, though.

The ryu updates had 2 unused characters slots essentially confiming that AT LEAST there's 2 characters left.

There's a theory that we would be getting that amount, but there's no way to tell. Personally, I think 2 OR 3 are kinda likely with 2 being much more, but I think 4 is where it starts to be unlikely.
No, it doesn't. They could've just as easily threw in a random number of extra slots because they knew they had more characters they wanted to do, but didn't know how many.

Personally I think we're getting 3-5, probably 4.

D

Deleted member

Wolf and 3-4 Ballot characters is my bet.

Although deep in my heart and mind i know that only 2 characters left is a real possibility.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would think 4 new characters total left:

1 vet and 3 new
Or
2 vet and 2 new

Of course this is all based on what Sakurai feels like providing. He could easily give us Wolf and be done. And they left that as a wildly strong option for him, as they said the ballot would effect future titles. Sigh. We'll never really know til they say it's done.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There's nothing confirming any sort of amount of characters. I would like to think they'd do more than 2 more DLC characters. For all we know, that's just in the files because they wanted to take care of those slots.

Obviously, Smash DLC will end at some point because they can't keep the team forever. It's also not like they couldn't come back to it sometime down the road. For now, because it's basically all we know, it's probably safest to assume we're only getting two more. But I certainly wouldn't rule out a few more afterward.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
No, but a lot of people think so because of the "two slots" left in the roster, and because the Wii U roster can only fit two more characters, plus there's enough room for two more characters on certain views of the website's character list you see at the bottom of various pages.

Its all just a series of coincidences, though.

No, it doesn't. They could've just as easily threw in a random number of extra slots because they knew they had more characters they wanted to do, but didn't know how many.

Personally I think we're getting 3-5, probably 4.
......ok I feel you missunderstood quite hard here.

I said that 2 unused slots were found.

This means that they would intend to AT LEAST do 2 because otherwise, I HARDLY think they only intended one.....seriously, even without the slots, I would hardly believe that, but with the slots....I have no reasons to think that.

So what you are trying to tell me is they could have put an intentionally overkill amount of slots and yet.....the only chance it would happen is if they put only 1 character hence why I think it is safe to assume it means at least (not equal) to 2.

Seriously you replied like I was saying that it means 2 and only 2, no I meant AT LEAST 2.

I even told I believed that 2-3 were the msot likely and 4 for me starts to be unlikely!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
......ok I feel you missunderstood quite hard here.

I said that 2 unused slots were found.

This means that they would intend to AT LEAST do 2 because otherwise, I HARDLY think they only intended one.....seriously, even without the slots, I would hardly believe that, but with the slots....I have no reasons to think that.

So what you are trying to tell me is they could have put an intentionally overkill amount of slots and yet.....the only chance it would happen is if they put only 1 character hence why I think it is safe to assume it means at least (not equal) to 2.

Seriously you replied like I was saying that it means 2 and only 2, no I meant AT LEAST 2.

I even told I believed that 2-3 were the msot likely and 4 for me starts to be unlikely!
No, I didn't misunderstand what you said.

My point is, people put too much emphasis on the slots which in reality mean NOTHING. What tells us we're getting at least two is Sakurai's own statement, not the stupid slots which are totally pointless and should not be used at all. Supposedly there's two stage slots left, but the current actual stage roster pages in-game fits those like crap, too. The roster selection in-game fits better right now with either 1 or 3-4 stages left, but only 2 stages left does not fit in with anything else. And if the stage slots are pointless, what makes the character slots any better?

People are constantly trying to use those slots to assume they mean something. I'm saying that we should ignore them because they don't mean anything.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
No, I didn't misunderstand what you said.

My point is, people put too much emphasis on the slots which in reality mean NOTHING. What tells us we're getting at least two is Sakurai's own statement, not the stupid slots which are totally pointless and should not be used at all. Supposedly there's two stage slots left, but the current actual stage roster pages in-game fits those like crap, too. The roster selection in-game fits better right now with either 1 or 3-4 stages left, but only 2 stages left does not fit in with anything else. And if the stage slots are pointless, what makes the character slots any better?

People are constantly trying to use those slots to assume they mean something. I'm saying that we should ignore them because they don't mean anything.
Sakurai did say several characters from the fan service. Meaning that we will get at least 3. But if that's the case, the Wii U roster would look messy.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Doesn't it already?
Well yes, but I meant that two more characters would make the roster full on the Wii U. But, I suppose they can shrink it a little but will they have enough room? If there's more than 2, wouldn't they need to have 4 more characters to make it full again because I can't see six characters coming.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well yes, but I meant that two more characters would make the roster full on the Wii U. But, I suppose they can shrink it a little but will they have enough room? If there's more than 2, wouldn't they need to have 4 more characters to make it full again because I can't see six characters coming.
So? Why does the roster NEED to fill up all slots? Just look at the 3DS version upon release. Not even the Wii U version looked complete.

The roster isn't going to be filled up to the brim upon release, there's always going to be gaps.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
So? Why does the roster NEED to fill up all slots? Just look at the 3DS version upon release. Not even the Wii U version looked complete.

The roster isn't going to be filled up to the brim upon release, there's always going to be gaps.
Ah, thanks for the clarification

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's fun to speculate, but I think this is the most disoriented we've been in terms of what to expect. DLC is a totally new concept for Smash with no precedent to work off of, we don't have the faintest notion what's going to happen.

Which is both exciting and disconcerting. I'm gonna remain positive, but I don't know what to expect.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
^ And if you add the "SAKURAI FACTOR", well, anything is possible...

As a matter of fact, that's what I'm expecting at this point. Then, cue more waiting. :troll:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
The Ballot is more for Nintendos benefit then ours. They are getting consumer information from this poll which they can use to evaluate their business strategy.
(Use the Privacy Policy link on the Ballot for more)

Nintendo never said that they would create a character based on votes either - simply that they would consider it.

I do think that hopes are up - and I would hope Nintendo knows this, so I think they will actually release an "easy" to implement character or two a few months after the end of the Ballot (Falco Diddy for Dixie, for example).

The purpose of the ballot is similar to the post 64 one.

5mash NX will release "early" after the launch of the new system and incorporate more of these ballot/new characters and bring all the stages and characters back from BOTH versions of Sm4sh (With working Popos and Nanas), which makes sense if you think about what the NX is. Also this will give us our "complete" version of the game incorporating the prior DLC until the start of the DLC cycle for the next game.

Would get a stronger release title for the NX, keep Sakurai on longer, and development/implementation are able to reuse overlapping resources saving time and money.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's fun to speculate, but I think this is the most disoriented we've been in terms of what to expect. DLC is a totally new concept for Smash with no precedent to work off of, we don't have the faintest notion what's going to happen.

Which is both exciting and disconcerting. I'm gonna remain positive, but I don't know what to expect.
The only real major change from pre-Smash 4 to DLC confirmed is that there is a greater emphasis on fanservice. Outside of that, nothing has changed to justify a whole new look at who is likely or not and all of Sakurai's criterias such as uniqueness and such, still applies. Though to be fair, that one sole change does make a major difference- this means that any surprise characters we get will be popular but unexpected instead of characters who were unpopular and obscure among the Smash fanbase due to the whole "it's going to be fanservice from now on" statement. This is a natural consequence of the fact that each DLC character has to sell well enough to be worth the effort, time and money invested in them.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would hope Nintendo could recognize that they may actually gain a level of hatred from fans if they never make a DLC character from the ballot. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but the disappointment it'd create would be historically large within the fanbase. I would think that just to keep people happy with the company, they HAVE to release at least 1 more character post ballot. But they may not feel the same way.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Going a bit off-topic, but does anybody know what's going to happen to the DLC character threads after the Ballot ends? Will they be closed? Or will they be kept open for Smash 5 speculation?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll add that you can go to Nintenzone to talk about Smash 5.

The speculation threads will be closed down after the last DLC character is released, not after the ballot ends, though.

:231:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'll add that you can go to Nintenzone to talk about Smash 5.

The speculation threads will be closed down after the last DLC character is released, not after the ballot ends, though.

:231:
That's what I was pretty sure was going to happen. Until they confirm DLC is over, the threads will remain open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom