• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Ganon (tied) at #2 for the character they're pointing to.

I love you guys some times.

Edit:

Referring to Nintendoland being the WiiU title that he's part of, not THAT version of Ganon.... as that was one more "condition" added amongst the leaks.
You mean the thing from NWplyaer? the person confirmed to not know anything?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Can't see Banjo happening, the Microsoft thing is one thing but I also just don't think they're iconic enough, especially to modern gamers, yes Banjo-Kazooie is popular but it's not the multi-generation spanning series that Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu or Snake are

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Can't see Banjo happening, the Microsoft thing is one thing but I also just don't think they're iconic enough, especially to modern gamers, yes Banjo-Kazooie is popular but it's not the multi-generation spanning series that Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu or Snake are
I don't think iconism is the issue with them, they're perfectly well known, it's just licensing issues that are holding them back. Plus there's :4duckhunt: too.

PandaCeptions

Smash Rookie
Oni, it's all for fun.
The majority of people agree the "leaks" are all bunk.
I've been away from the smash community for a while. I'm really sorry for asking but what are these "leaks" exactly? Like, where did they originated from and what they're about. Sorry for asking but I'm just curious.

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
Unless you compare to them to the other 3rd parties where they stick out like a sore thumb
Has that stopped them from adding Roy as DLC? Not that he's third party, but I'm willing to bet that more people know what game Banjo is from than what game Roy is from. I like Roy, not Roy hating. Also Sonic and Pac-man haven't had a good game in a while, in my opinion. I doubt they mean anything to kids these days.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Has that stopped them from adding Roy as DLC? Not that he's third party, but I'm willing to bet that more people know what game Banjo is from than what game Roy is from. I like Roy, not Roy hating. Also Sonic and Pac-man haven't had a good game in a while, in my opinion. I doubt they mean anything to kids these days.
Sonic and Pac-Man both have fairly popular TV shows, not to mention that Sonic had Colours, Generations and to some extent Lost World and Pac-Man? Well, he's Pac-Man, everybody knows who Pac-Man is. You said it yourself though but they're third party, there's a pretty big difference

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Maintenance yesterday yielded no fruit. I predict nothing until holiday season. Looks like we buckle down for the long haul people. 6 more weeks until Thanksgiving / Black Friday in North America. For Glory to pass the time, or build custom stages if you're kinky. I'll try to make a dent in the challenges I have left.

Whatever you do don't let the hype die. :042:
There could still very well be a direct this week or at the very least this month, I don't think the other characters needed maintenance

Burruni

Smash Hero
I've been away from the smash community for a while. I'm really sorry for asking but what are these "leaks" exactly? Like, where did they originated from and what they're about. Sorry for asking but I'm just curious.
RogersBase, Sealth, Nikki, Octogirl... and others across twitter have basically been spreading bits and pieces of a "leak."

Here is the short version

• Getting a direct before the end of the week
  • 1st party NEWCOMER announced for Smash
  • 9/10-10 out on the hype meter
  • Not part of the ballot
  • Not a surprise that they got in; an "eventual" addition
  • Has a game on the WiiU

No, because Roy's a VETERAN who got in as a RUSHED CLONE to help promote FE6 and HAS HIGHER WORLDWIDE POPULARITY THAN BANJO-KAZOOIE. He got in due to being a veteran, not by being relevant (which is would be due to Awakening anyways). Edit: And Roy came out FIRST in Melee, so technically that's the game he's from and more people know Melee than Banjo-Kazooie. Game Set & Match

Sonic and Pac-Man "having a good game" is irrelevant because THEY'RE MASSIVE ICONS OF GAMING HISTORY SINCE THEIR CREATION TO MODERN DAY.

The one and ONLY thing truly going for B-K is having decent popularity from what they had from N64.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
RogersBase, Sealth, Nikki, Octogirl... and others across twitter have basically been spreading bits and pieces of a "leak."

Here is the short version

• Getting a direct before the end of the week
  • 1st party NEWCOMER announced for Smash
  • 9/10-10 out on the hype meter
  • Not part of the ballot
  • Not a surprise that they got in; an "eventual" addition
  • Has a game on the WiiU

No, because Roy's a VETERAN who got in as a RUSHED CLONE to help promote FE6 and HAS HIGHER INTERNATIONAL POPULARITY THAN BANJO-KAZOOIE. He got in due to being a veteran, not by being relevant (which is would be due to Awakening anyways).

Sonic and Pac-Man "having a good game" is irrelevant because THEY'RE MASSIVE ICONS OF GAMING HISTORY SINCE THEIR CREATION TO MODERN DAY.

The one and ONLY thing truly going for B-K is having decent popularity from what they had from N64.
Aren't Nikki and Octogirl the same person?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wasn't aware either of them had TV-Shows. I'm out of the loop. I still think Banjo would make a good character choice, especially if they chose to make another Banjo game. If... :|
...You haven't seen the amount of vocal uproar about Sonic Boom and see how everyone says how good the shows are? I don't watch TV but at least I know this stuff

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
No, because Roy's a VETERAN who got in as a RUSHED CLONE to help promote FE6 and HAS HIGHER INTERNATIONAL POPULARITY THAN BANJO-KAZOOIE. He got in due to being a veteran, not by being relevant (which is would be due to Awakening anyways).
I don't know what game Roy is from. I don't know who Roy is. If it was about veterans I think Wolf would have been added in before Roy. Wolf's origins has to be known more so than Roy, if not I'll eat my shoe.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't know what game Roy is from. I don't know who Roy is. If it was about veterans I think Wolf would have been added in before Roy. Wolf's origins has to be known more so than Roy, if not I'll eat my shoe.
You're right. Wolf has always been more demanded and popular than Roy. However, Sakurai's dumb and thought Roy would be a better addition than Wolf with DLC. Besides, the western Fire Emblem fanbase isn't keen on Roy. Bloody ****lord. His Critical Hit not being OHKO like Marth and Lucina references his low stats imo

Burruni

Smash Hero
Aren't Nikki and Octogirl the same person?
Are they? Didn't know.

Roy is from Super Smash Bros. Melee, the game you claim to main Ganondorf in.

That was is debut.Those are his origins. He was designed for Fire Emblem 6 but debuted in Melee.

He got in before Wolf. And that's just how things are.

Roy is more well known than Banjo-Kazooie now. And him getting in was a fraction of the effort that it would've been for them.

Last edited:

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
Roy is from Super Smash Bros. Melee, the game you claim to main Ganondorf in.
nononononononononononononono. Thousand times no. I'm talking about his Fire Emblem game, his story. That should have been obvious. TECHNICALLY his origins are in melee, and you know that's not what I meant.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
nononononononononononononono. Thousand times no. I'm talking about his Fire Emblem game, his story. That should have been obvious. TECHNICALLY his origins are in melee, and you know that's not what I meant.
It's still true, Melee is his first game. Sm4sh is his first game in which he isn't garbage though. Roy's Melee appearance showed him to the west and advertised FE6

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
It's still true, Melee is his first game. Sm4sh is his first game in which he isn't garbage though. Roy's Melee appearance showed him to the west and advertised FE6
I'm well aware, but what I'm saying is that his story wasn't told until his fire emblem game. So even though I played melee, I still don't know who he is, and I still don't know what fire emblem game he's from.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm well aware, but what I'm saying is that his story wasn't told until his fire emblem game. So even though I played melee, I still don't know who he is, and I still don't know what fire emblem game he's from.
There's not only emulation but I remember seeing a patched cartridge in English on ebay. Go wild. Keep in mind Roy doesn't do much damage, doesn't double easily and is made of paper

Burruni

Smash Hero
What does it matter?

Your statements were "but I'm willing to bet that more people know what game Banjo is from than what game Roy is from," and "Wolf's origins has to be known more so than Roy, if not I'll eat my shoe."

Roy's origins and the game Roy is from, is Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Approximate sales: 7.07 million copies.

Banjo-Kazooie: 3.65 million
Banjo-Tooie: 1.49 million
Nuts & Bolts: 0.75 million.

Simply stating, it's more likely that more people know Super Smash Bros. Melee than the entire Banjo-Kazooie series and possibly Star Fox (Wolf's origins).

Edit: Forgot the GBA games
Grunty's Revenge: 0.33 million
Banjo-Pilot: 0.10 million

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No Direct announcement today meaning no Direct tomorrow :glare::glare::glare::glare::glare:

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Direct on Thursday because I really don't want to wait much longer. Splatoon Direct from May this year was on Thursday so that gives me a bit of hope.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
No Direct announcement today meaning no Direct tomorrow :glare::glare::glare::glare::glare:

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for a Direct on Thursday because I really don't want to wait much longer. Splatoon Direct from May this year was on Thursday so that gives me a bit of hope.
They don't have to announce a direct at noon, you know? They could announce it at any point today or any other day.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's not a good comparison at all. Roy is from Melee, much more people know about Melee than Banjo. And Pac-Man unimportant, oh please, he's one of the biggest icons in the world, in fact I think I could get away with saying that he's up there with Mickey Mouse.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's not a good comparison at all. Roy is from Melee, much more people know about Melee than Banjo. And Pac-Man unimportant, oh please, he's one of the biggest icons in the world, in fact I think I could get away with saying that he's up there with Mickey Mouse.
Pac-Man's arguably more iconic than Mario, who's beaten Mickey Mouse, so yeah

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Mickey Mouse for Smash?!?

I would only be a little mad
Well this game... Exists...

Certainly a strange beast, it's a game licensed by Disney, developed by Namco, and published by Nintendo. Never thought you'd see something like that right?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Mickey Mouse for Smash?!?

I would only be a little mad
Realtalk.

If we were ever to get a 4th party character in Smash... Mickey'd be best choice.

A plethora of games on Nintendo to draw things form (The Castle of Illusion era), general cartoony antics, and possibly a bit drawn from his Kingdom Hearts identity.

As much as people wanna try to push the Goku angle, Mickey's far more iconic and impactful as a character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Realtalk.

If we were ever to get a 4th party character in Smash... Mickey'd be best choice.

A plethora of games on Nintendo to draw things form (The Castle of Illusion era), general cartoony antics, and possibly a bit drawn from his Kingdom Hearts identity.

As much as people wanna try to push the Goku angle, Mickey's far more iconic and impactful as a character.
He could also use things from (I know alot of people will want to strangle me for mentioning it but) Epic Mickey, like the magic paintbrush.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Realtalk.

Mickey is a third party character. Fourth party is a fan term...

Burruni

Smash Hero
And Burruni is a fan and we're talking in fan context.

It's just faster than saying impossible 3rd party :p
EDIT dammit burruni. . .
Ya know ya love me, hun.

Back to Smash.

What's the "new stage" you want most? For me, I'm still waiting for a proper Bowser's Castle stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom