• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DL Super B Reverse DFS + Fair Cancels

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd bring some properties of Corrin's DL (Dragon Lunge) to your attention. Nothing game breaking, just a movement option that may be just as useful as Samus's Super Wavedash in Melee :laugh: .

Oh yeah, also in the video is me doing Fair from the ledge that cancel with no lag. Maybe someone can lab it and find the frame data for this.

I really only implemented DFS, but you can mix it up with anything. Fake approach, Ariels, Counter, etc.

Last edited:

SlaySD

Smash Rookie
I have been testing this out a lot when I first got Kamui. This is really huge allowing them to pretty much control the entire lower level at there pleasure. This is also one of the fastest ways to maneuver around surprisingly and when you mix up the wavebounces it becomes really unpredictable, also throwing in random back air to stop all momentum can throw your opponent in a loop as well.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Only day 2 and we're already making Corrin look like one of the most technical / gorgeous characters playable <3

Zyst

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zyst404
This is incredible.

Time to learn how to Wavebounce, never had a good reason to do so before, but this looks amazing and confusing as hell (Hopefully just for the opponent!)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
what do you set your special to in order to perform this? i can get it like 10% of the time, most of the time i'm bair-ing or DL'ing for some reason, what am i doing wrong? is it a timing issue with DFS?

Last edited:

ghostmag

Smash Rookie
Cool tech, I'll defintely use that.
It is an B Reverse and not a Wavebounce, isn't it? Doing a Wavebounce means to look in the same direction but changing your momentum, but here you change the momentum and change the direction.
The input is B -> Control Stick back
The input of a Wavebounce is Control Stick back -> B -> Control Stick forwards

Or am I completely wrong?

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
what do you set your special to in order to perform this? i can get it like 10% of the time, most of the time i'm bair-ing or DL'ing for some reason, what am i doing wrong? is it a timing issue with DFS?
My special is just B. C-Stick is set to attack.

It is a timing thing, but if you are getting DL instead of DFS, you must let the analog get back to neutral before B input.

I believe a window exist that separates Wavebounce and B Reverse. The first clip against Falcon is definitely a B reverse.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Cool tech, I'll defintely use that.
It is an B Reverse and not a Wavebounce, isn't it? Doing a Wavebounce means to look in the same direction but changing your momentum, but here you change the momentum and change the direction.
The input is B -> Control Stick back
The input of a Wavebounce is Control Stick back -> B -> Control Stick forwards

Or am I completely wrong?
I think B reverse, or "reverse" simply refers to reversing the said move without a momentum shift. I think wavebouncing is a sudden switch in momentum.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I think B reverse, or "reverse" simply refers to reversing the said move without a momentum shift. I think wavebouncing is a sudden switch in momentum.
B-reverse includes a momentum shift, without a momentum shift it's just a turnaround.

A wavebounce is both a turnaround AND a b-reverse combined.

Given how heavily this affects Corrin's play I think Yoshis are going to have an easy time pushing him forwards. This appears to play as important a role for Corrin as Breverse egglay plays for Yoshi.

Last edited:

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
B-reverse includes a momentum shift, without a momentum shift it's just a turnaround.

A wavebounce is both a turnaround AND a b-reverse combined.

Given how heavily this affects Corrin's play I think Yoshis are going to have an easy time pushing him forwards. This appears to play as important a role for Corrin as Breverse egglay plays for Yoshi.
Well not technically, you don't have to turn around to get a Wavebounce. While facing left you can Wavebounce to the right but still be facing left the whole time. That method is called C-Bouncing. Wavebouncing is shifting in momentum not technically switching direction. Reversing is the opposite, it's all about changeing the direction your facing and not about shifting momentum.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Turnaround = Directional input first. B second. = Turnaround B move with no momentum change.

Breverse = B first. Directional input second. = Turnaround B move with momentum change.

Wavebounce = Directional input first. B second. Directional input third. = Turnaround B move with alternate momentum change with another turn around following the reversal. This results in momentum shift while keeping the move facing the same direction you were originally facing - 2 turnarounds total.

Cbouncing is an alternate input that also allows for easier usage while grounded.

Please stop using "reverse" for a turnaround, you'll confuse people as it's incorrect terminology.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Turnaround = Directional input first. B second. = Turnaround B move with no momentum change.

Breverse = B first. Directional input second. = Turnaround B move with momentum change.

Wavebounce = Directional input first. B second. Directional input third. = Turnaround B move with alternate momentum change with another turn around following the reversal. This results in momentum shift while keeping the move facing the same direction you were originally facing - 2 turnarounds total.

Cbouncing is an alternate input that also allows for easier usage while grounded.

Please stop using "reverse" for a turnaround, you'll confuse people as it's incorrect terminology.
Okay I was confused you are absolutely correct.

In this video I did a Turnaround B and a Super B reverse. Technically just a B reverse but I'm saying super because it's much more exaggerated. Thanks for setting me straight lol

Last edited:

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Thanks to Skitrel Skitrel

This tech just got even more interesting. Since I'm not actually wavebouncing here, I'm very eager to get home and do all the different wave bounces.

D

Deleted member

How are you doing this exactly?
Haven't tried it out yet since i've been doing percent combos, etc.
Great work btw...

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
How are you doing this exactly?
Haven't tried it out yet since i've been doing percent combos, etc.
Great work btw...
Thanx, I'm simply just doing a B reverse. :GCB:+:GCN: in the opposite direction almost immediately after pressing B

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm starting to change my mind real quick on Corrin thanks to the silly things we can do with platforms. Suddenly, killing doesn't seem like such a hassle.

Thanks for the contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
This is likely due to the early auto-cancel frames of fair.
Ah gotcha. Even though it's pretty nifty I don't see me attempting to perfect this, pretty risky plus it's one of those inconsistent techs. On top of no invincibility.

Top Bottom