• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dk problems

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
how do you guys tackle dk, im having trouble. he grabs me no matter what and edge guards to well.

Stop.Haxxoring.Me

Smash Rookie
Someone told me that you should use a lot of mid-far range attacks like final cutter and stuffs like that but I'm not sure.
I think you should always roll and airdodge alot to get away from his grabs and stuff though.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
no i got no vids but he gets me everytime when i duck and kirbiciding is the only thing that works.

Nashun

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong is actually a pretty touch matchup =/ He has a long-ranged grab that can get a crouching Kirby, powerful finishers to throws at pretty much any %, and Bair range that Kirby has trouble getting past. It doesn't help that DK is heavy and that almost all of Kirby's killing moves have extremely lenient DI options. You can try a lot of the standard bair utilt ftilt uair combos that work on all of the huge characters in this game, but DK will still build up damage like a mofo with his throw combos and bairs.

=/ And you gotta watch out for his punch, too.

Who knows, though. Maybe my knowledge on the matchup (where to DI, best way to edgeguard, best approach) is limited, but it seems this way to me.

cityondown114

Smash Rookie
i have had great luck with kirby's drill kick on DK and though this may seem ridiculous the rock seems to have a pretty good effect on Donkey Kong. His large size makes it impossible for him to move out of the way easily...and if he does the chances of him getting back to grab you are a lot less because of his lack of speed. I have to say using up kick from the ground can also help out quite a bunch

Nashun

Smash Ace
I'll be generous, so let's say DK will grab you 50% of the time you use the stone.
I'll be generous again, so let's say you'll actually hit DK with the stone 3% of the time.

Kirby's stone does, what, 16% tops?
DK's guaranteed grab combos do much more than that and have KO potential.

I'm going to stand in my view that you should not use the stone against DK.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Even if DK can't get out of the way quickly enough (???) to avoid the Stone, he can just shield and has plenty of time to do whatever he wants to Kirby. Then again, if he can't get out of the way, can't get his shield up, and can't punish Kirby - for whatever reasons - feel free to humiliate him with multiple Stones because you're going to win anyway.

Top Bottom