• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Jab Lock & Footstool Combos

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
An untech nair is not that rare. In the future, if your opponent doesn't tech your nair try one of those combo. Those were the most useful / flashy ones I could find. Feel free to add your jab lock combos to this conversation!

I was sure I posted this thread hours ago, but I couldn't find it anymore... If it been deleted for some reason, I am sorry. I didn't get any notification about it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
An untech nair is not that rare. In the future, if your opponent doesn't tech your nair try one of those combo. Those were the most useful / flashy ones I could find. Feel free to add your jab lock combos to this conversation!

I was sure I posted this thread hours ago, but I couldn't find it anymore... If it been deleted for some reason, I am sorry. I didn't get any notification about it.
My bad, I was in a hurry when I moved your post to the competitive thread so I forgot to quote you and tell you I moved it. I suppose I could just let it be in both places for now.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I've done the first two combos here, but that footstool reset is something I hadn't thought about! Is that techable? I know very little about footstooling.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
I've done the first two combos here, but that footstool reset is something I hadn't thought about! Is that techable? I know very little about footstooling.
It is not techable. but your opponent will be able to get-up with any option (get-up attack, roll, get-up in place or stay still). I am not sure how many frames of vulnerability you have after a missed tech so I am not 100% sure if that last combo was actually a "combo". The Dair might be a couple of frames too late, you might have to read to get-up for this combo to work. I would need someone to test it.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Thanks a whole lot for this. I hadn't thought of doing this stuff. Really great.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Foot stooling looks like it could be a good option when landing the headbutt at low percent. After a d-tilt trip for instance.
I'll hit the lab when I get the time later this week and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for sharing this

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Foot stooling looks like it could be a good option when landing the headbutt at low percent. After a d-tilt trip for instance.
I'll hit the lab when I get the time later this week and see if I can find anything.

Thanks for sharing this
Some characters can start a jab lock from a footstool, sadly DK is not one of them. Well, yes he can with the custom side-B that make you drop down super fast. But there is so much lag after this side B that you won't have enough time to hit your opponent with anything while they get up...

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
What about if you footstool them onto a platform after reading a jump-out-of-bury under the platform? (Battlefield left and right platforms for example)
Would that position them for some jab lock shenanigans?

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
What about if you footstool them onto a platform after reading a jump-out-of-bury under the platform? (Battlefield left and right platforms for example)
Would that position them for some jab lock shenanigans?
Hmm not sure... But I still don't think DK is fast enough to get back on the ground and lock them. You only have about 25 frames from the moment they hit the ground.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Jab locks have been receiving some rising popularity as of late. I want to find more reliable ways to set up jab locks with DK (if possible). I also play fox, and he has a fair amount of opportunity (lole)

What opportunities/setups do you find you are able to land a nair with DK? I personally rarely have had any luck using his nair as a landing option vs a decent player. I usually would resort to a spaced bair, empty jump or side - B (for blockers)
His nair can be finicky depending on which part of it you hit the opponent with it too.

Do you think that bair or dair (like ganons) might be better for setting this up?

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Jab locks have been receiving some rising popularity as of late. I want to find more reliable ways to set up jab locks with DK (if possible). I also play fox, and he has a fair amount of opportunity (lole)

What opportunities/setups do you find you are able to land a nair with DK? I personally rarely have had any luck using his nair as a landing option vs a decent player. I usually would resort to a spaced bair, empty jump or side - B (for blockers)
His nair can be finicky depending on which part of it you hit the opponent with it too.

Do you think that bair or dair (like ganons) might be better for setting this up?
I am not sure really. I was able to pull this off a couple of times in for glory, but only on pretty bad player. Good player always tech or jump out of the tumble animation. D-throw is harder to tech at low % because it send you very low to the ground. But getting a Dtilt to get the jab-lock started after a D-throw is pretty hard (almost frame perfect I think). You cannot just Dtilt because it won't reach, you need to walk about 2 pixels and than Dtilt.

I'll look it more set-up later tonight. But if you find anything on your side, make sure to post it here! Maybe there's something with the new update we haven't figured out yet that could make jab-lock easier for DK...

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Yeah I tried for a while with down throw a couple months back and wasn't able to pull it off :/
If I find something new I'll post it here for sure

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
I'm sure most of the combo fiends in the DK community have stumbled upon this video here: https://youtu.be/EePgdYZ_JtE?t=34s
I know it's mostly using platforms, but there's a few things we might be able to take from this and apply on flat stages. I totally forgot that nair jab locks at lower percents!

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure Nair isn't quick enough for a jab-lock after a footstool sadly. I'll test it just to make sure though.

Edit:

Actually it's possible! Though it's pretty hard, got it only once. At ~50% Side-B -> Dair -> Footstool -> falling Nair -> Giant Punch could be a guaranteed 0 to death.

The hard part it the falling Fair, the hitbox is pretty weird when you're trying to hit someone bellow you.

Last edited:

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Hey I was in the lab late last night and found a few things! I might shoot a ****ty video with my phone at some point for demonstration.

Tested on Mario
Setup - Dair at 15 - 22%ish is low to the ground and the person can miss this tech.
Jab lock - Follow up with two Down tilts (or jab and two down tilts)
Finisher - 10 wind punch (Guaranteed kill mid final destination)

I've actually done this (swapping the 10 wind punch for forward smash or a grab to up cargo combo) twice in about 10 matches. That being said I was fishing really hard for it lmao

Tested on Mario
Setup - Sweet Spot Bair 30 - 37%ish
Jab lock - Turn around and follow up with one down tilt
Finisher - 10 wind punch (Guaranteed kill if missed tech mid final destination)

The setup for this one is flexible. You can run off the stage and come back with a bair, or my favorite light hop double bair (second hit catches them off guard).

I gave up on extending the footstool tech for now...I just couldnt see myself attempting it in a real match with DK's options.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet

Here's a video of the aforementioned discovery. Yes I have a plethora of different names across accounts lol.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Haha loved the ending.

Hmm yeah those are great, but I feel like I would be able to tech every of those. And if I can, that means a lot of people can :p (My video had the same problem) Even good player will miss tech though, so it's a good thing to learn the follow up. I think footstools (If I can figure out how I linked a footstool to a Nair..!) and platform setup are still the way to go to get guaranteed jab-lock.

But it's great to see how scary DK can be if he get a jab-lock.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
Yeah I think he has the strongest lock game out of the cast! He can kill from 15%, which is nuts.
If only we can find some guaranteed setups.

Edit: After using this in some locals and for glory I can say that 8/10 times the Dair setup gets teched, and it's better to just go for a guaranteed follow up unless you are going for a hail mary. The Bair setup however half the time isn't teched, also Bair can setup untechables off of platforms

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Hey guys, glad to see another thread dedicated to jab locking with specific characters. I've compiled ranges for how long moves will jab lock for for every character, so let me post DK's data.

Jab (close hit) 0-104~% Note: due to hitbox additions in 1.06, only works consistently on some targets.
Ftilt (no angle) 0-24%
Ftilt (angled low) 0-28%
Dtilt (close 7% hit) 0-56%
Dtilt (far 6% hit) 0-65%
Nair (late 8% hit) 0-33%
Bair (late 8% hit) 0-33%
Fair (meteor hit) 0-9%
Dair (meteor hit) 0-11%
Neutral B (uncharged) 0-18%
Neutral B 3 (uncharged) 0-26%
Side B 0-150+%
Side B 2 0-150+%
Side B 3 0-150+%

Please note that these percentage ranges are collected from jab locking Metaknight, who is a middle-lightweight character. Heavier characters will get jab locked for longer than these ranges.

Top Bottom