• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Discussion

courte

Smash Lord
is dos!!

seriously samurai panda pissed me off with that one... i do play DK... to insult the newbs
and yes there are always noobs

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I love DK. The first game I ever owned was DKC... And while I never got all that good at Melee after all those years, DK was always my favorite by far.

I can't wait until Bum gets his hands on Brawl... he's like a hero of mine :p
LOL everything you just said is what i was going to say. EVERYTHING 100%

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
DK is actually very similar from melee. The only difference i noticed from the few matches i've used him is that you cannot do anything after you neutral charged b in the air, you got to land on the ground before you can do anything..similar to an up+B. DK is still fairly strong..i'd say hes better than the dedede or ike, basically because he has far better aerials, like his back air.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've asked a mod to make some changes around here, we'll see how much gets done. The most active thread is called "Nobody like DK" thats lolz.

Every one of DK's (Insert)air Kills. I wish he had the invulnerability of Ike, but he doesn't have the startup so it makes sense...

the reQuest

Smash Rookie
It took a lot of skill to use DK in Melee (I'm sure you've all seen those combo vids... Pimp of the Jungle = King of Kong) and from what I've played, the changes in the game have made it a lot harder to pull off the headbut combo, only because the hitstun in Brawl is a lot shorter than it was in melee

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AegG1l6-QS4
Here's the combo vid I was talking about just in case some of you haven't seen it.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Not only that, but the new physics engine doesn't allow any type of reducing recovery tactics, PLUS the set-up is gone. Cargo Uthrow FTL.

the reQuest

Smash Rookie
Not only that, but the new physics engine doesn't allow any type of reducing recovery tactics, PLUS the set-up is gone. Cargo Uthrow FTL.
Seriously? I didn't use him much when I was playing Brawl, so I didnt realize they took out the set up. Why would they nerf DK so hard? That set-up and his nair were what made him usable.

^haha and yes, he should have a flashy special ... maybe involving some sort of landmaster...

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
I like DK, he is going to be my main if ZSS doesnt fit me well. DK's popularity has sky rocketed down so badly ever since those crappy Jungle Beat games. Way to go Nintendo, good way to ruin one of your icons.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
I like DK, he is going to be my main if ZSS doesnt fit me well. DK's popularity has sky rocketed down so badly ever since those crappy Jungle Beat games. Way to go Nintendo, good way to ruin one of your icons.
The jungle beat games didn't kill his popularity, being a plain villain as well as a simple one is his problem. It's up to rare to revive him...

Kips

Smash Ace
Yeah, it seems they didn't attempt to give him as much depth as say.. Bowser. He's a monkey that punches stuff- He just doesn't seem to be as interesting as a lizard with an inferiority complex that can breath fire and do all sorts of creepy stuff.

Well you have a point he is probaly the plainest character but i like him for the fact that to be good you have to have guts in mu poion. As in you have no projectilles but a decent reach and when you learn how to use him well you get a great character. I love DK and everyhing related, DKC, DK64 even Diddy. I use DK and sometimes diddy in everygame i can and plan to continue that. But I guess i like DK because he isn't popular lol also he isn't an anime warrior with a sword because for me link is good enough. Also my friends who i play Smash with used Link and Falco, two charaters i hate (i like fox and the look of wolf just dislike falco becasue of lylat wars)

I see smash as a chance to see geat videogame characters fight and be good with characters I like not "whos top tier" like I know somepeople do

And let's face it, like in all most of my DK posts there's a simple formula for his coolness
Gorilla + Tie = OWNAGE

Hey you have a point I've been a DK main since Smash 64 and even in brawl i think when brawl come out i think DK will be higher on the tier list i believe. That's what i think exactly i think that hopefully everyone just finds a character they like and play brawl instead of well the world's best play fox so let's main him.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
YoshiKong, yo believe DK will be higher on the tier list? Maybe with his juggling game, but I have yet to see a comob pulled off in Brawl.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
DK is DEAD. Wario practically took his spot. No one likes a smelly Gorilla , even Yoshi says so in Yoshi's Island DS.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
DK is DEAD. Wario practically took his spot. No one likes a smelly Gorilla , even Yoshi says so in Yoshi's Island DS.
Say what?? Dont be talkin bout DK that way, and no, it's not a dead series, (points to barrel blast released in the fall) it just hasnt had a fantastic game since DK64... Nintendo surely can make one that good..surely...

And I like Mslly Gorillas, so GTFO.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well, i find Dk a very borin character... well not boring but is just he doesnt suit my style... but is sad to see how everyone else also kind of despise him..

My best advice to you DK main.. would be to not give up...and try to bring DK to his glory days.... at least in the Brawl tiers.

Is always good that even when he is down on the list of popularity, there are always faithfull fans who will still try to make him better!!

You can do it!. Ill be waiting for some of you to kick the shidd out of my marth!

Dont let DK die!

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Face it Gannon. DK died with
1. A cool Diddy, he's a stupid chimp now, not that Bad@$$ superstar from DK 64.
2. Chunky, Lanky and Tiny are gone (don't say that disgusting freak of nature is Tiny)
3. Rare left
4. He sounds constipated
5.Rare Left
6.No Banjo to back him up.
7. RARE LEFT!

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
Say what?? Dont be talkin bout DK that way, and no, it's not a dead series, (points to barrel blast released in the fall) it just hasnt had a fantastic game since DK64... Nintendo surely can make one that good..surely...

And I like Mslly Gorillas, so GTFO.
DK is less popular than YOSHI, he's the #1 least popular... yay him >.>

fazares

Smash Apprentice
dk still works well in ffa...altough his giant punch has been nerfed.....

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ATTENTION, I PLAYED DK IN BRAWL

From what I experienced, DK seems to be very solid in Brawl.
Almost all of this throws seem to be useless (like most of the others now) except his strong back throw.
His donkey punch ISN'T THAT BAD! It still kills well, has good priority, and has "enough" range.
Speaking of range, his back air is GODLY. Good range and priority. Perfect for approaches; keep in mind you can now run forward, hold back, jump, and go forward while facing backwards. This means DK has a new level for back air spamming. Keep in mind that Brawl is more about spacing and spamming now, this good news for DK.
I couldn't get any up air combos....but I did get kills with it around 100%ish near to upper corners of stages. It seems to be more of a killing move now.
His up B seems to be just as solid as before...just a little more lag on landing though. Oh, and I actually suicided with it since I wasn't aware of the fact I can go across entire stages with it off the side now.
Fair and Nair seem to work the same. I think Nair has a better hitbox now, not to sure. Wasn't much of a Nair user in melee.

Next time I play, I'll try out his down b and forward b moves and see if I can find any combos besides Bair to Bair >_<

OOO, and vids

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Yea I like DK, but yes it's true he's super plain and frankly there really isn't anyway to update......a video game character like DK. Atleast Mario and Co. get put into new settings, with new characters and new weapons and moves sets. DK on the other hand will always have to be in a jungle, with jungle stuff. Nobody cares about jungle things and animals anymore it's all about super flashy super high tech anime fighters or realistic war games.
Funny you should say that, since all the Jungle Climber bosses were giant Kremlin mechs, and the final stages were K. Rool’s futuristic spacecraft and then an alien planet … :p

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong rules.

EVERYONE knows who is. Even if you've never played a video game you still probaly know who DK is. The same can't be said for most characters in the brawl cast.

Top Bottom