• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: Aiding Arenas and Counter Stages, Sticky Dammit!

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
F'N LOL. Nice Brahma

I personally hate that stage, but will play on it for a bit, than add your contributions. THX

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok these are the stages i tend to do well on as dk

pokemon stadium 1- wall infinite + stage spike + small platforms that allow you to get around projectiles, yet don't get in the way of you landing = good

lylat cruise- small pokemon stadium without walls

smashville

battlefield

castle siege- blocks projectiles in second stage, impossible to whiff upb in first

Delfino- walls and water spike

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Castle Sige is pretty good as well. On the first part, you have lips for stage spiking, platforms to help mix up your recovery, and a slant for land cancelling UpB.

Second part you have stsutes to block projectiles, as bigfoot mentioned, and you also have walk off edges for easy kills. DK also can move around this section very well, and his movement here gives him an advantage over slower characters.

Third part has edges for stage spike. This is pretty nuetral for him, though the tilting stage can sometimes mess up your recovery.

In between morphs you have walkoff edges for easy kills, but you can also be trapped under the stage, especially during the morph from 3 back to 1.

Also, on Yoshi's Island, you can footstool, spike, or bury an opponent on the ghost platforms as they go down, which usually gets you a kill unless they can tech and jump before the platform leaves the screen.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Updated THX Brahma,

1 question though.

Ghos platform son Yoshi's Island? Am I thinking about the right stage.
Yoshi's story has the weather changes,
Yoshi's Island has the annoying spinning yellow blocks?

Did you mean Aero diver?

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I am so confused about what y'all tlki8ng about, somebody please link me a video.

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
I think they are talking about the platforms off the stage on Yoshi's Island that foil my spike attempts every time. Not positive, though.

I have found Green Greens to be extremely advantageous for DK, even though it is a notorious camping stage. Firstly, he can hide behind the blocks and charge up the DK punch, as already mentioned here. This is a pretty big point here since the stage is so small that the punch is almost a sure KO, especially with super armor. Also, cargo dthrow is certain death off the stage; cargo, jump off the stage, dthrow. It's puts every character past the boundaries of the stage every time for an easy KO at any %. If they try to stop you from charing t3h punch, a simple shield grab can kill them.

In addition to that, there's also the cargo dthrow chain grab against the block walls and dtilt infinite. When the blocks are all there, you can ftilt/dtilt all but the top one or two rows away for an easy cargo fthrow stage spike. I have never seen it teched before, but it may be possible. Either way, it basically sends them straight down the hole. If they live you can either ledge stall between the two on either side of the hole with the spinning kong or just go for a spike. Lastly, there's also a real low ceiling and platforms for an easy uair/utilt/usmash/dsmash KO. You could even cargo uthrow KO if you jump from the platforms.

This is how I see this stage for DK: if the enemy is on the platforms, they're dead. If they're on the center platform on the ground and blocks exist, they're dead. If some of the blocks are gone but the top rows exist, they're dead. If they're on the side platforms after you are, they're dead. I really do think this is one of DK's best stages.

Also, I agree with whoever mentioned Distant Planet. A walk-off edge on the left is bait for the cargo dthrow KO, and you can easily feed bug with the same throw, as Brahma mentioned earlier. Plus it's a fairly small stage so it's tough to get camped on. I like it a lot.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Kyle, talking about the platforms to the sides of Yoshi's Island that the ghosts lift up and down.

Green Greens is too good though. I used to counterpick it a lot in Melee. DK owns the side platforms, as basically any of his attacks control that whole space. If they hit the ground anywhere there, or tech, punch or downB will catch them. You can also Dtilt the bottom row of blocks to knock out the first two and make a hole, then Cargo Dtoss people down into it. Haven't messed with this as much in Brawl, but pretty sure it should still work. Characters like Ness/Lucas are pretty much screwed if this happens, since they often can't make it back to the ledge, and if they UpB, the blocks eat it.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
More on the intense awesomeness of Green Greens.

SA frames on DK Punch always work against the Bomb Blocks. Making sweet KO's mid stage.

Cargo, Dtoss, until they are ~ 40% than DK Punch, it combo's the opponent into the bombs while you use the SA frames to stand there victorious.

While hanging from ledge, DK can go under any platform and reappear at any side. This is trick input but looks hellaSweet. I typically descend with a Bair, than rejump, wait upB. the active frames on upB will destroy the blocks and always make you grab ledge. If there is a Bomb block there, DK will explode the block and grab ledge at the same frame meaning INVINCIBILITY.

NICE stage guys.

General assumption, DK Rocks at Melee stages lol

UPDATE-
I was schooling a falco on-line and he almost beat me @ Distant planet. I'm still not used to that stage.

UPDATE AGAIN-
It's about time for another header update. =/

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Major update to the first post.

Still haven't included distant planet or Green Greens, BUT I added a new sub category and 2 new tech's.
GreenG's and Distant planet are on my current to do list for this thread. =)

ook

Smash Lord
In Norfair, you can use down-b in the blue capsule thing that appears, and it will be very hard for them to get in since the down-b pretty much fills the whole capsule. And if they do try to get in, they'll get stuck and keep hitting the ceiling and bouncing back down into your down-b and you can get like 100% damage on them, especially if the doors close and they're stuck in there. And even if you hit them out before the doors close, they'll usually hit the lava wave anyway.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Question: According to the 1st post, why are high ceilings considered to be an advantage for DK? Between uair, utilt, usmash, and dsmash, DK gets a lot of his vertically. Plus he's heavy and he's already hard to kill off the top to begin with; I'd imagine higher ceilings would be more advantageous for lightweights. Cargo upthrow on corneria against metaknight FTW.

Top Bottom