• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DJC help?

TravisRoland

Smash Rookie
I am a PM Yoshi main, I feel like I have a pretty decent Yoshi, there is just one thing I am lacking from reaching Yoshi's full potential. And that is double jump cancels. Which I am really horrible at :\ any tips on mastering double jump cancels with Yoshi?

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: This is a Rising Aerial, not a DJC. Read Flux's post.

Do your move, like a Nair, then immediately press your jump button that's normally X/Y. In my experience when you do your move and jump at the same time, your move will go out quicker and the jump won't do anything.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
^thats actually not quite how it works. if you press your jump button after you do an aerial, or even at the same time, a DJC will not be performed. it also doesnt make the move come out faster, it just minimizes the time you spend in the air, giving you better pressure and mobility options, essentially like a suped up SHFFL.

In order to do a DJC, you have to do a double jump, then quickly do an attack afterwards, making sure that you are not holding the jump button which would result in a rising aerial instead. The timing of how quickly you perform the aerial depends on how high yoshi is from the ground, which attack you are doing, and if you plan to be exploiting his DJ armor. in general, the quicker you do an attack after the DJ, the quicker you will be able to cancel your vertical momentum, and quickly reach the ground (typically making it better for pressure).

whenever i execute a DJC, i usually hit up on the control stick (for tap jump) then use the c stick to do the attack, then roll the control stick downwards for a FF if needed. While using tap jump, you can hold diagonally left or right to shift your momentum in that direction very quickly. you can still get the same effects by quickly tapping x/y, hitting A, and holding a direction. Thats just a matter of preference. when doing DJC nairs, its best to just tap x/y then quickly tap A for max efficiency.

As far as application, yoshi will make the most use of DJC fairs and nairs for approaching and shield pressure. I recommend going into training mode, and doing DJCs over and over again to build up muscle memory. you will have little success if you try to just start doing it in a match, because you wont be able to control it very well. Its highly a matter of experimentation to see how the mechanics work, what kinds of momentum shifts you can get, turning yoshi around before doing so, and seeing how high in the air is optimal/how long you should hold the jump button before attacking at various heights. dont rely on informative posts to do all the work for you. we can teach you the basics, but you have to experiment with the mechanics yourself. What you put in is what you get out; its quite the technical maneuver, so if you are really looking to incorporate it into your game you will have to take matters into your own hands. once you build up the muscle memory for it, its really not difficult at all though.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Something that messes me up is not being able to fastfall after DJC aerials. DJC aerial into fastfall is different depending on the time between DJ and the aerial (plus how long you keep holding the jump button), sometimes you can immediately fastfall but if you wait too long for some reason like turning around in the DJ then you won't be able to immiedately fastfall. Another thing that can mess up your fastfall is hitlag from a connecting DJC aerial.

Also different DJC aerials can be done closer to the ground than others if you aren't doing a partial rising aerial. Nair can be done closest to the ground, and uair requires a bit more time in the air which is important because you can accidentally cancel your uair before the hitbox comes out if you do it too fast.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
^thats actually not quite how it works. if you press your jump button after you do an aerial, or even at the same time, a DJC will not be performed. it also doesnt make the move come out faster, it just minimizes the time you spend in the air, giving you better pressure and mobility options, essentially like a suped up SHFFL..
Not sure why I think DJC and Rising Aerials are the same.

Thanks for clearing that up for him.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Something that messes me up is not being able to fastfall after DJC aerials. DJC aerial into fastfall is different depending on the time between DJ and the aerial (plus how long you keep holding the jump button), sometimes you can immediately fastfall but if you wait too long for some reason like turning around in the DJ then you won't be able to immiedately fastfall. Another thing that can mess up your fastfall is hitlag from a connecting DJC aerial.

Also different DJC aerials can be done closer to the ground than others if you aren't doing a partial rising aerial. Nair can be done closest to the ground, and uair requires a bit more time in the air which is important because you can accidentally cancel your uair before the hitbox comes out if you do it too fast.
Brawl has funny stuff when it comes to using the analog stick and C-stick. It's possible to instantly fastfall without needing to input the action by holding down on the analog while using an aerial with the C-stick. Granted, this works SHs, FHs, and Rising Aerials, but for SHs and FHs you have to hold down and use your aerial when you near the peak of Yoshi's jump to make the method take effect. This is what I use when I'm doing DJC aerials, and it's extremely effective for me personally.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Brawl has funny stuff when it comes to using the analog stick and C-stick. It's possible to instantly fastfall without needing to input the action by holding down on the analog while using an aerial with the C-stick. Granted, this works SHs, FHs, and Rising Aerials, but for SHs and FHs you have to hold down and use your aerial when you near the peak of Yoshi's jump to make the method take effect. This is what I use when I'm doing DJC aerials, and it's extremely effective for me personally.
I've never tried this! I noticed that strange property of rising aerials in PM but assumed it was a bug because it fastfalls even if you let go of the analog and c-stick before the peak of your DJ. This makes DJC u-air very easy now, thanks! If only you could do the same with DJC n-air...

Top Bottom