• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Every amiibo? Good Lord. I bought Game and Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt in a combined set and called it a day. And even then it was only so I could raise three troll retro figure players that did nothing but spam their most annoying moves against the enemy AI, for my own amusement.

I'm too poor for more amiibo. I don't even have a Switch yet. My wife and I have bills to worry about first, sadly.
I'm more than your average Nintendo fan, haha. I went out of my way to get my hands on each and every fighter in the series. Smash is my favorite franchise of all time since it bringts all of my favorite worlds into one, and every since I first played I wanted a real life "trophy set" of all of them.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I was only able to get about twelve out of the series, and of course one was Diddy Kong. I only stopped because it got really hard to find some of them, but I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo fixed that problem?

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
It is great to see K. Rool fans stepping up to support Dixie now that he is in. Obviously I always supported Dixie first and foremost, but I did always want them both in together. That set needs to be completed.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I was only able to get about twelve out of the series, and of course one was Diddy Kong. I only stopped because it got really hard to find some of them, but I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo fixed that problem?
Well, kind of. When a store wasn't properly selling their exclusive, they took them away, and during the later half of the Smash 4 set's life cycle, they started restocking old ones and overstocking new ones. I started when Wave 2 released, with my first being, fittingly enough, Diddy, which was given to me. I made it my goal to collect the full Smash roster and until a couple months ago I had the full set. I will admit, the hunter in me is still here - but the penny pincher inside me wishes he wasn't.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Mr. Kremling here, sure, for money.
Which is more important? Money or SWEET REVENGE!? The King has NEVER beat Dixie and now is his chance! This is something money can't do for him. It's gonna have to be done with his own 2 hands!!!! We need all Kutthroats support here to summon the challenger so the King can have his second finest hour!

A big reason I want Dixie in is that honestly SHE is the true rival to K. Rool. DK and Diddy have been bested by K. Rool twice now and Dixie saved DK twice and Diddy once from K. Rool. K. Rool has never captured or beaten Dixie so they have some unfinished business that should be resolved in Smash.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Which is more important? Money or SWEET REVENGE!? The King has NEVER beat Dixie and now is his chance! This is something money can't do for him. It's gonna have to be done with his own 2 hands!!!! We need all Kutthroats support here to summon the challenger so the King can have his second finest hour!
Mr. Kremling here again, honestly I hate my job and Mr. Rool, I just want the money.

Also, what if Dixie uses the cut shotgun from DK64? That would be fantastic.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Mr. Kremling here again, honestly I hate my job and Mr. Rool, I just want the money.

Also, what if Dixie uses the cut shotgun from DK64? That would be fantastic.
That would be absolutely hilarious and inappropriate. Even Snake doesn't get a shotgun. Even Duck Hunt doesn't, and his character is a reimagining of games about shooting things with guns.

Dixie would be the next Conker. She just needs to turn tail on DK's adventures to go bounce on flower boobs and fight a giant piece of **** now lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is a thread on /v/ right now about how Donkey Kong country's rep in Smash is at its peak right now.

I say those people are wrong. We still need Dixie for it to be complete. Any other Kong or representative is icing after that - But it's not a cake without Dixie

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
There is a thread on /v/ right now about how Donkey Kong country's rep in Smash is at its peak right now.

I say those people are wrong. We still need Dixie for it to be complete. Any other Kong or representative is icing after that - But it's not a cake without Dixie
Heck outta here with that! What are THEY on? I completely agree with you. The current roster makes it look like the franchise never got another game after Donkey Kong Country 1 or something.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Funny story that I never shared when I was talking about my first memories of Dixie Kong and DKC2. When the game released, I was 5 or so, and I remember thinking Dixie was cute and having a crush on her. I shared that much before.

What I forgot to share was that I got angry and jealous when I was informed that she was Diddy's girlfriend. I never beat DKC2 at that age, partially because I was young and i sucked at it.

...And partially because, from that moment on, I started having Dixie throw Diddy off the ledge to his death every chance I got, meaning I ended up attempting every level solo Dixie. True story. Poor Diddy.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
And then Dixie gets in with a perfect move set that counters all of K. Rool's moves.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Here to lend my support to Dixie Kong! She's always been my next most wanted newcomer after King K. Rool and Ridley (and Banjo-Kazooie, but I don't see that happening...).

I honestly think she's going to be added, but as an echo fighter. I think she completely deserves to be a totally original fighter, but I feel like she would've been revealed with King K. Rool if she was going to be. I just can't see them having two Donkey Kong newcomer trailers with how they've treated the franchise. With seeing how echoes can take moves from different fighters, I think she'll mostly take from Diddy Kong and take Donkey Kong's recovery, but with the hair spinning instead obviously.

I really hope she's in and she's an original fighter, because she 100% deserves it. But I'll take what we can get!

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Hey Dixie fans. First time in my thread, mostly I had been in the K.Rool thread. But now that he is announced, I continue on to support my other must have DK rep, Dixie. Although I have much more faith this time around that she will make an appearance. Thought its too bad she will likely be an echo, at least Chrom has shown us she can still be faithful with her hair spinning through Donkey Kong. I'de like to imagine that her grab might try to copy DK as well where she could pick up opponents with her hair and carry them around a bit.

Still, echo or semi clone, I support Dixie in smash.

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
...And partially because, from that moment on, I started having Dixie throw Diddy off the ledge to his death every chance I got, meaning I ended up attempting every level solo Dixie. True story. Poor Diddy.
That's so Krool, how could you do that to Diddy? Lol.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright, I've got a TON of posts I've wanted to reply to, so let's begin:

Did you guys see this? What do you think?
https://reddit.app.link/BBU3UGCEkP
Yea, we've noticed it a good while back after E3. For the longest we couldn't decide whether it was from DKC1 or DKC3, but luckily an extended version played in August's Direct, and it turns out it's from DKC1, as it includes the overworld theme from that game. It's basically an update of this track from Brawl.
Welcome to the Barrel! We've already addressed and worked past the debate that happened earlier so there's no need to resurrect some parts. I'm here to reply to some other statements.
And it's not even that bad. It makes sense logistically to see Dixie fighting like Diddy, because even in DKC2 they had their similarities. Moreso recently in Tropical Freeze where Dixie is picking stuff up with her hands as well and has a gun much like Diddy's.
So I wanna point out that a logical reason why Dixie picks up stuff with her hands is because if she used her hair, she wouldn't be able to Twirl while holding the item. Gameplay-wise that puts her at a disadvantage, because Cranky and Diddy would still be able to use their abilities while holding an item yet Dixie wouldn't. Also, remember that Cranky all of a sudden has a projectile that functions like Diddy's too, just as Diddy, Dixie and Cranky can all groundpound like DK. This is likely just to streamline the core gameplay by giving each Kong moves that function like DK's and also streamline the Helper System by making sure all the Companion Kongs have a bouncy projectile like Diddy's.

Also, I stand by the fact that Dixie as an echo actually works pretty well. With a bubble gum gun that doesn't charge but shoots quickly, hair gliding as a double jump and DK's Up B except with her hair spin from DKC2, and a grab like DK's except picking up with hair... I don't see how it's so insulting of Dixie for her to jump at people, spike at people and kick at people like Diddy.

Sakurai IS a stickler for details, but he's also a game director. You're talking about the man that added Ganondorf as a clone of Captain Falcon just to be able to add Ganondorf and please his fans.
Well, quite honestly giving her that much brings her more to Dr. Mario-level clone than flatout Echo. Even with Chrom we're apparently seeing one move that doesn't match who he's based on; in this scenario Dixie's mixing and matching the 2 Kongs, getting animations of her own to justify her DK moves and boasting a jump that neither can do. And on the subject of Ganondorf, we gotta consider that Melee's development cycle was extremely short, Sakurai was busting his *** to get the game out on a strict deadline and tight schedule by using a "destructive" lifestyle and needed the clones to pad the roster. Echoes in SSBU's case aren't padding but bonus content; the context of Melee's Ganondorf is very different this time.

The rest has been addressed and settled so I won't go further.
With Dixie Kong I'll be good with DK character representation, but I'd love to instead see more stage and music variety. Also animal buddies as assists.

I don't get why there's a million "wood over water" stages, when we have things like an ongoing avalanche, fear factory where the lights randomly go off and things catch fire, bramble levels, bayous, creepy forests, mines... etc etc.
That seems like more of a problem with DK representation in general. So far it's always been Jungle-oriented to the point an outsider would think Donkey Kong is only about jungles.

So when Dixie Kong is announced which DK character will you support next? For me, I would love Lanky Kong to be in, although far more likely I would love if Cranky would be in also.
After Dixie I'm done. I've already got so much out of this series and with Dixie in my favorite Nintendo series will have everyone I want. After Rayman I'll have nobody that I seriously would like to see in; yes Crash and Banjo would be phenomenal but I'm content with them not making it in. I've finally reached a point where I have very few wants outside of wishlists and fun what-ifs.

Dixie Kong is overdue. She deserves to be in Smash: Ultimate, and she deserves to be unique.
I agree; she's a huge part of the DKC series and DK in general. Why not have all the DKC protagonists feature their own moveset? They've got their own game each and healthy fanbases. Give us unique moves and this series is set.
Of course, personally I don't have a problem with Dixie borrowing many of Diddy's assets, or his neutral game. It's no doubt they have a similar body shape, so I'm sure some shortcuts could be taken there. But I think everyone agrees that a 1:1 Diddy echo would just not make any sense for Dixie. I'd also argue that enough changes would need to be made, that she'd no longer be an echo at all. I mean, many people suggest that she could be a Diddy echo, just with this move changed and that move changed, maybe DK's up+B, maybe a new dash, maybe some of Peach's floating mechanic. But to me, at that point she may as well be a unique fighter then?
Pretty much. How much can one stretch the Echo concept until it becomes its own thing?
What I'm saying is that with Dixie being confirmed, I would not support another fighter from the series.
I love Funky and Cranky, but it would be a bit of a overkill to have them.
Dk , Diddy, Dixie and K.Rool seems like the perfect representation of Donkey Kong.
Cranky and Funky can be assist trophies.
There are another characters and series that I'd like more content in Smash Bros.

Dixie is a necessity.
THIS. The protagonist, deuteragonist, tritagonist and antagonist of the DK series all fighting in the biggest crossover game.

Awesome job! I only have one request if you think it's a dumb idea please disregard. Would it be possible to move the support list number to the top of the page right under the pic used as the opener? Reason being we have threads keeping track of supporters now and I think it would be easier acsess for visitors collecting data for research and reports. Also, I'm like super proud of how big the support list is getting and imo would be nice if that's one of the first things people see when they enter our barrel.
Sure, I don't see why not. I moved it up and tried to give it a numbered list for convenience, but there's a glitch with the forums that creates 2 spoiler tags whenever I tried. So, I just left it at the top of the OP.

I understand the need and want for a unique fighter, but with the last four unique reveals... they've all been major heavy hitters. And I'm starting to think the unique newcomers might only be heavy hitters.
I gotta ask though, with all these deconfirmations what heavy hitters are left? Geno will make waves and Banjo especially, but in terms of 1st Party Nintendo, where can we go besides a Pokemon, a Xenoblade character and apparently Isaac and Bandanna Dee?

I've read through all the posts and saw how the discussion went, and with my statement earlier I don't need to reiterate issues that have been settled. There are some things I wanna chime in on though.
1. There's a very good chance the literal exact same thing could be said about Dixie. Instead of showing the one that was "relevant" they opted to show the one that was actually unique, who could not have been echoed off of another fighter - K. Rool.
Here's the thing though, K. Rool was shown because of his massive popularity, constant fan outcry and being dormant since 2008. He's the frontrunner of DKC character speculation and Dixie's right behind him. It makes sense to unveil him first if Dixie's in for quite a few reasons, not simply because one is unique.

5. Does she though? What exactly about her makes you say that? She plays nearly identically to Diddy in her home series. The literal only non-cosmetic difference is her hair, which she uses to do what, one thing with?
More than one thing. Gliding, Flutter Jumping, Spin Attacking, Lifting/Throwing, Propelling Underwater, Groundpounding. Honestly that's quite a lot considering these are from 2D platformers which are mainly about running, jumping and dash attacking.
Okay? This changes nothing. She can do three moves with her hair, wow, one of which is irrelevant in context of Smash. Takes more than two things to make a moveset. And in Tropical Freeze, her most recent game, she only makes use of one of these, and even then only as an assistance move.
Disagreed here. I've listed 6 things and only 5 fit for Smash, but Fox stands directly against the "more than 2 things" bit (as well as WFT, Falcon, etc who have none) since by Smash 64 he never fought outside his Arwing. It's also highly unlikely that they'd only pull from Tropical Freeze for ideas when she has 3 flagship games of material.

If her own series treats her like that, why should Smash treat her better?

Why would they go and make her unique when from a conceptual standpoint the two characters share a nearly identical role?

Every unique fighter from Smash 4 got in on a conceptual level that fit to their own game's mechanics. "Fights with Yoga," "Almost All Projectiles," "Mage with Limited Resources,". On a conceptual level, Dixie serves the same function as Diddy in the new games - "second jump."
She stands out the most in her home series, because players flock to her more when given the option. That's why Smash should treat her better.

So far, Dixie shares an identical role with Diddy and Cranky in the form of 'Kong powerup with extra hearts and a platforming quirk'. One is Double Jump, the other Hover, and the last is Higher Jump. Her role in the SNES games are more nuanced, as she's the Kong you want to weave in and out of obstacles with unscathed, and this holds up in Tropical Freeze as she's more beginner-friendly until Funky showed up. Diddy's roles in DKC1 and 2 is 'faster but weaker than DK' and 'faster than Dixie but harder to use.' The concept from her games that would carry into Smash would be 'Reliance on Hair and best in the Air."

I'm not going in circles with you over this again, but I will say this - if you don't think Daisy was popular, then you're an idiot.

Go back and read through my posts again.

In fact, thanks to you specifically, now I don't even want Dixie in the game.
Like I said to Delta, let's not insult one another. I know the disagreement has settled and we're on solid terms now, but I don't want this thread to escalate to hostility for future reference. I'm no mod, but I do enjoy reading these difference of opinion as long as it stays civil. Also, I see that your old name is KeybladePony. If you don't wanna be part of the list, no worries I'll remove you in a bit.

The rest has been addressed by us all so I'm gonna skip that, but I will say the Dixie v K. Rool problem has been squashed long ago. In fact whenever it brews there's a member like Seth or myself and a good handful of others that step in and put things back on track. K. Rool v Dixie flamewars were one of the things this thread advised in the OP to flat out avoid. There is no need to worry about that long-gone venom.

Don't sweat how the discussion went; we all reached a common ground and while we don't agree, as long as it's civil IDC what the outcome is. I hope my replies to you didn't read as hostile.

Dixie functions in a way that's a mixture of Diddy and DK
The similarities between Dixie and Diddy are increased in the new DKC games. Where Dixie's hair acts extremely similar to Diddy's jet pack, but is slightly better. While they both get guns in Diddy's peanut popgun and Dixie's Bubblegum gun

Her unique ability in the original DKC series is the ability to hover with her hair. But in the new DKC games it's function isn't that different from Diddy.
Keep in mind that while DK and Dixie had unique abilities in the SNES DKCs, Diddy had none. Diddy's jetpack in Retro's games functions like a downgraded version of Dixie's spin from Rare's games. Whereas she could do it until she touched the ground, Diddy's only lasts a few seconds before cancelling, so in reality Diddy has a weaker version and Dixie's predated Diddy's by about 16 years. When Dixie showed up in Tropical Freeze, they retooled her spin to be a double-jump, as keeping the Rare version would be redundant but still give her enough of an edge over him, and as many gameplay vids have shown, Dixie's the preferred Kong in all the platformers she's playable in. Whether it's helicopter spinning or Ponytail Twirling, she brings a gameplay ability that the other Kongs don't. Dixie and Cranky saw the most use out of players while Diddy was pushed to the sidelines.

No, actually she plays quite differently. You’re ignorant for thinking otherwise. She uses her hair for gliding, recovery, the dash attack, and throws, and her movement speed is notably faster in the air than diddy and slower on the ground. There’s tons of things that set Dixie apart from diddy gameplay wise and mechanically.
Agreed, and I know y'all squashed the venom earlier but let's avoid telling people they're ignorant. We're definitely on the same page regarding Dixie but one of my biggest concerns is preventing flamewars.

Yeah, I seriously doubt anyone here would ever threaten Sakurai, because after the crazy storm that revolved around smash 4 DLC (a.k.a. the last two dlc reveals), the removal of target smash, and the abomination that was Smash Tour, I'm pretty sure people on here are used to disappointment. Besides, this game is already 10 times better than that due to the return of Tourney and Good Classic, the new modes, all of the fan favorite stages that haven't been in smash for years, and let's not forget the HUGE reveals, K. Rool, Belmont, and Ridley + the "Everyone is here!" slogan.
Yea, that would be embarrassing. Ultimate is already hard not to love and I'm buying this game day 1, but I won't let not getting Dixie either the way I prefer or at all stop me from enjoying this game. We're a reasonable bunch and luckily this Barrel's not an all-out Echo Chamber (pun).
yeah, no dixie fan is out here lying to themselves that being an echo is impossible or can't happen for whatever reason because it obviously could, but we want her to be unique obviously, but absolutely NO ONE is denying the possibility of an echo and I'm tired of the idea of her being unique being shot down and being seen as impossible
Yea, treating her like she's only good for Echo material irks me.

So, something that's popped up in my head from time to time, this time around for Smash Ultimate, the Smash team seems to be looking at older designs for characters, not to mention adding extra details and such, this may have popped up already and I'd missed it but, does anybody want Dixie to have her knee pads back along with her nail polish as her default look? Or would just the knee pads do for the default? Or would you guys rather her have the knee pads as an alt? I've also noticed people bring up Dixie utilizing her hair as a form of air mobility how would you want her to perform this action? Would you rather her spin her entire body around much like in the older DKC games? Or would you guys rather her hair function more like a propeller? Would you guys rather her recovery be more horizontal like DK's Spinning Kong, or more vertical like K. Rool's Jetpack Propeller? Just trying to shift discussion to something other than echoes.
I say bring back the kneepads, but leave the makeup behind. Dixie looks and acts girly, but I find the heavy eyelash and nail polish jarring. Plus, kneepads are cool. I'd rather he hair focus like a propeller BTW.
Ignoring the distinction between echoes and unique fighters - if we were to start from a baseline of 1:1 with Diddy, how many changes would a Dixie fan need to be satisfied with her inclusion without simply going allout 100% unique fighter? For example, clone of Diddy with a DK up-b?
-Unique Dash Attack animation with 4 hit sequence
-Has to hit foes with her Hair in more attacks than Diddy does with his tail.
-Must incorporate hair grabs and hair throws somehow
-needs a cargo grab with distinct animations
-able to stay airborne longer than other Kongs
-faster in the air, slower on the ground
-bubbly girly animtions
-recovery that utilizes hair.

Hope that's not too much!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Alright, I've got a TON of posts I've wanted to reply to, so let's begin:

Yea, we've noticed it a good while back after E3. For the longest we couldn't decide whether it was from DKC1 or DKC3, but luckily an extended version played in August's Direct, and it turns out it's from DKC1, as it includes the overworld theme from that game. It's basically an update of this track from Brawl.
Welcome to the Barrel! We've already addressed and worked past the debate that happened earlier so there's no need to resurrect some parts. I'm here to reply to some other statements.
So I wanna point out that a logical reason why Dixie picks up stuff with her hands is because if she used her hair, she wouldn't be able to Twirl while holding the item. Gameplay-wise that puts her at a disadvantage, because Cranky and Diddy would still be able to use their abilities while holding an item yet Dixie wouldn't. Also, remember that Cranky all of a sudden has a projectile that functions like Diddy's too, just as Diddy, Dixie and Cranky can all groundpound like DK. This is likely just to streamline the core gameplay by giving each Kong moves that function like DK's and also streamline the Helper System by making sure all the Companion Kongs have a bouncy projectile like Diddy's.

Well, quite honestly giving her that much brings her more to Dr. Mario-level clone than flatout Echo. Even with Chrom we're apparently seeing one move that doesn't match who he's based on; in this scenario Dixie's mixing and matching the 2 Kongs, getting animations of her own to justify her DK moves and boasting a jump that neither can do. And on the subject of Ganondorf, we gotta consider that Melee's development cycle was extremely short, Sakurai was busting his *** to get the game out on a strict deadline and tight schedule by using a "destructive" lifestyle and needed the clones to pad the roster. Echoes in SSBU's case aren't padding but bonus content; the context of Melee's Ganondorf is very different this time.

The rest has been addressed and settled so I won't go further.

That seems like more of a problem with DK representation in general. So far it's always been Jungle-oriented to the point an outsider would think Donkey Kong is only about jungles.

After Dixie I'm done. I've already got so much out of this series and with Dixie in my favorite Nintendo series will have everyone I want. After Rayman I'll have nobody that I seriously would like to see in; yes Crash and Banjo would be phenomenal but I'm content with them not making it in. I've finally reached a point where I have very few wants outside of wishlists and fun what-ifs.

I agree; she's a huge part of the DKC series and DK in general. Why not have all the DKC protagonists feature their own moveset? They've got their own game each and healthy fanbases. Give us unique moves and this series is set.

Pretty much. How much can one stretch the Echo concept until it becomes its own thing?

THIS. The protagonist, deuteragonist, tritagonist and antagonist of the DK series all fighting in the biggest crossover game.

Sure, I don't see why not. I moved it up and tried to give it a numbered list for convenience, but there's a glitch with the forums that creates 2 spoiler tags whenever I tried. So, I just left it at the top of the OP.

I gotta ask though, with all these deconfirmations what heavy hitters are left? Geno will make waves and Banjo especially, but in terms of 1st Party Nintendo, where can we go besides a Pokemon, a Xenoblade character and apparently Isaac and Bandanna Dee?

I've read through all the posts and saw how the discussion went, and with my statement earlier I don't need to reiterate issues that have been settled. There are some things I wanna chime in on though.
Here's the thing though, K. Rool was shown because of his massive popularity, constant fan outcry and being dormant since 2008. He's the frontrunner of DKC character speculation and Dixie's right behind him. It makes sense to unveil him first if Dixie's in for quite a few reasons, not simply because one is unique.

More than one thing. Gliding, Flutter Jumping, Spin Attacking, Lifting/Throwing, Propelling Underwater, Groundpounding. Honestly that's quite a lot considering these are from 2D platformers which are mainly about running, jumping and dash attacking.

Disagreed here. I've listed 6 things and only 5 fit for Smash, but Fox stands directly against the "more than 2 things" bit (as well as WFT, Falcon, etc who have none) since by Smash 64 he never fought outside his Arwing. It's also highly unlikely that they'd only pull from Tropical Freeze for ideas when she has 3 flagship games of material.

She stands out the most in her home series, because players flock to her more when given the option. That's why Smash should treat her better.

So far, Dixie shares an identical role with Diddy and Cranky in the form of 'Kong powerup with extra hearts and a platforming quirk'. One is Double Jump, the other Hover, and the last is Higher Jump. Her role in the SNES games are more nuanced, as she's the Kong you want to weave in and out of obstacles with unscathed, and this holds up in Tropical Freeze as she's more beginner-friendly until Funky showed up. Diddy's roles in DKC1 and 2 is 'faster but weaker than DK' and 'faster than Dixie but harder to use.' The concept from her games that would carry into Smash would be 'Reliance on Hair and best in the Air."

Like I said to Delta, let's not insult one another. I know the disagreement has settled and we're on solid terms now, but I don't want this thread to escalate to hostility for future reference. I'm no mod, but I do enjoy reading these difference of opinion as long as it stays civil. Also, I see that your old name is KeybladePony. If you don't wanna be part of the list, no worries I'll remove you in a bit.

The rest has been addressed by us all so I'm gonna skip that, but I will say the Dixie v K. Rool problem has been squashed long ago. In fact whenever it brews there's a member like Seth or myself and a good handful of others that step in and put things back on track. K. Rool v Dixie flamewars were one of the things this thread advised in the OP to flat out avoid. There is no need to worry about that long-gone venom.

Don't sweat how the discussion went; we all reached a common ground and while we don't agree, as long as it's civil IDC what the outcome is. I hope my replies to you didn't read as hostile.

Keep in mind that while DK and Dixie had unique abilities in the SNES DKCs, Diddy had none. Diddy's jetpack in Retro's games functions like a downgraded version of Dixie's spin from Rare's games. Whereas she could do it until she touched the ground, Diddy's only lasts a few seconds before cancelling, so in reality Diddy has a weaker version and Dixie's predated Diddy's by about 16 years. When Dixie showed up in Tropical Freeze, they retooled her spin to be a double-jump, as keeping the Rare version would be redundant but still give her enough of an edge over him, and as many gameplay vids have shown, Dixie's the preferred Kong in all the platformers she's playable in. Whether it's helicopter spinning or Ponytail Twirling, she brings a gameplay ability that the other Kongs don't. Dixie and Cranky saw the most use out of players while Diddy was pushed to the sidelines.

Agreed, and I know y'all squashed the venom earlier but let's avoid telling people they're ignorant. We're definitely on the same page regarding Dixie but one of my biggest concerns is preventing flamewars.

Yea, that would be embarrassing. Ultimate is already hard not to love and I'm buying this game day 1, but I won't let not getting Dixie either the way I prefer or at all stop me from enjoying this game. We're a reasonable bunch and luckily this Barrel's not an all-out Echo Chamber (pun).

Yea, treating her like she's only good for Echo material irks me.

I say bring back the kneepads, but leave the makeup behind. Dixie looks and acts girly, but I find the heavy eyelash and nail polish jarring. Plus, kneepads are cool. I'd rather he hair focus like a propeller BTW.

-Unique Dash Attack animation with 4 hit sequence
-Has to hit foes with her Hair in more attacks than Diddy does with his tail.
-Must incorporate hair grabs and hair throws somehow
-needs a cargo grab with distinct animations
-able to stay airborne longer than other Kongs
-faster in the air, slower on the ground
-bubbly girly animtions
-recovery that utilizes hair.

Hope that's not too much!
I don't mind being on the support list; though I would rather the name be updated to my current name. I left that old name behind a long time ago due to some... let's just say, bad memories.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
She's actually the last character on my wish list, so I really want her in, unique or echo, especially after the Chrom incident I gladly take an echo of Diddy with a different Up B

Last edited:
Happy to walk the rest of the Smash Ultimate speculation way with my good buddy Dix!

Dixie would just about complete the DKC representation nicely, alhough....

We have multiple Links, why not a second Donkey Kong? Cos Cranky would be great too! :p

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
im absolutely on the dixie hype train. she's the only character that i really really want and im hopeful that its finally her time (even if she does just end up being a diddy echo im glad to have her at all)

and hopefully if she gets in we'll also have more dkc2 remixes, or even some dkc3 music finally

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hmm, checking the support list, I see myself listed by my old username ("Young Horsetail") - if you could BirthNote BirthNote , change it to my current one - but put my old one on parentheses.

Quite a long run of supporting this heroine since SSB4-days.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now I am not sure if this was said, but I bet that end of K Rool trailer is a tease. Seems like a not hype way/funny to end, unlike Simons and Ridley's.

I see the next non smash focused Direct, in the middle of it, showing that end, and then Dixie jumps in and saves the 2, Ala DKC 2 and 3. A great way to show her off as an echo fighter.

And her being an Echo is not a bad thing. She was always simular to Diddy in the DKC games, baring her unique dash and her hair twirl. With Chrom showing echos can have some moves different from their counterpart, I am sure Dixie will have DK's up B instead of Diddy's, and the rest of the moves are simular. Her normal B could be a Bubble gum gun instead of peanut. Side B and Down B could be identical baring some frame data differences, and final smash could be she calls in the Animal Buddies like Rambi and the rest to stampede the stage. Actually that could work well for a new Yoshi FS too, ala Melee opening.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i dont' remember because i wanted K.ROOL So much... but
did you think that Dixie do well in the ballot?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
i dont' remember because i wanted K.ROOL So much... but
did you think that Dixie do well in the ballot?
Probably, people seem to generally underestimate her popularity but she's definitely up there in terms of requested characters, especially since she's more known by the general public than characters like Geno or Isaac who aren't really known outside of hardcore nintendo fans. Definitely helps that tropical freeze released the year before.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Leakjap.jpg

Interesting leak people dug up from way back in January:

King K Rool
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Richter Belmont
Skull Kid
Geno Shisea
Isabelle
Ridley
Banjo
Inkling
Isaac
Matthew (Issac's son)
Princess Daisy
Lloyd Irving
Dark Samus
Chrom
Bandana Waddle Dee
Prince Sabel
Magolor
Heihachi Mishima
Dixie Kong

He predicted everybody so far, and some rumoured ones. Also, it's the only leak that predicted Richter. This may have leaked from an early game proposal if true. Seeing as it was posted in January, it makes me think it could be legit.

But yeah, DIXIE.

zferolie

Smash Hero
View attachment 157751

King K Rool
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Richter Belmont
Skull Kid
Geno Shisea
Isabelle
Ridley
Banjo
Inkling
Isaac
Matthew (Issac's son)
Princess Daisy
Lloyd Irving
Dark Samus
Chrom
Bandana Waddle Dee
Prince Sabel
Magolor
Heihachi Mishima
Dixie Kong

He predicted everybody so far, and some rumoured ones. Also, it's the only leak that predicted Richter. This may have leaked from an early game proposal if true. Seeing as it was posted in January, it makes me think it could be legit.

But yeah, DIXIE.
Never heard of this one before. You got Richter twice though.

I never got Bandana dee's popularity myself but Japan seems to like him.

Whos Magolor?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
View attachment 157751

King K Rool
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Richter Belmont
Skull Kid
Geno Shisea
Isabelle
Ridley
Banjo
Inkling
Isaac
Matthew (Issac's son)
Princess Daisy
Lloyd Irving
Dark Samus
Chrom
Bandana Waddle Dee
Prince Sabel
Magolor
Heihachi Mishima
Dixie Kong

But yeah, DIXIE.
yeah this was proven fake a little while ago

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
View attachment 157751

King K Rool
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Richter Belmont
Skull Kid
Geno Shisea
Isabelle
Ridley
Banjo
Inkling
Isaac
Matthew (Issac's son)
Princess Daisy
Lloyd Irving
Dark Samus
Chrom
Bandana Waddle Dee
Prince Sabel
Magolor
Heihachi Mishima
Dixie Kong

But yeah, DIXIE.
It was proven fake by people discovering that the page was created the day people found it, which was a couple days ago.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
So the only part that's been proven fake was that someone edited the date?

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i said it on gamefaqs...but

Dixie can be UNIQUE...i really want but i don't think she will.... but her echo character can be awesome too!

Dixie can have Dk Up b. ( ++ A LITTLE bonus if you press the jump button you spin in the air)
Some unique animation doing the same thing that diddy
(if diddy attack with his tail, she can do the same thing but with her hair.)
-she can have her bubble gum gun from tropical freeze, throw a different kind of banana , forward b and grab with her hair instead of grab with his hands like diddy.

Echo Dixie can be awesome too. She can be the most unique of the ECHO :-)

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Animations can change pretty drastically, but functionally, they can be identical or near the same, and she could qualify as an Echo. Meaning, we can get plenty of ponytail shenanigans as long as the moves she's using with them can correlate to Diddy's relatively simply. But yeah, like Chrom, she could have one or two entirely new moves too, and also like how Chrom borrows from Ike with the one move, Dixie can borrow from DK, and it'd actually correlate pretty perfectly. Yeah, as much as I'd want a completely unique character, it might be nice just to have a hybrid of the two Kongs already playable (DK's down B and grab could also be used for Dixie if they wanted to... unless that's going too far for an Echo. Not that she'd need to, a banana toss and normal grab could be fine too).

Plus, as an Echo, she'd always be sitting right next to Diddy Kong on the character select screen, her head icon, in trailers, her number. She's paired with Diddy frequently, and I think that would be cute here too (in fact, maybe this whole Dixie echo thing goes back to the cut concept of Dixie playable in Brawl too. And Sakurai was waiting for this moment to revive her).

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Man if Dixie gets in, DK will have absolutely perfect representation. Of course there will always be more DK characters I'd be happy to see in the game, but Dixie feels like she belongs there with the other 3.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Dixie has to be in smash 5! She has a long history with nintendo, she fought K. Rool 2 times, and she is still relevant these days in the new DKC games. Add me to the supporter list!

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Man if Dixie gets in, DK will have absolutely perfect representation. Of course there will always be more DK characters I'd be happy to see in the game, but Dixie feels like she belongs there with the other 3.
Mario has 7 (not including characters that have their own franchises.)
F.E. has 7
Pokemon has 6 (and is probably going to get another.)
Zelda (sort of) has 6

If we got Dixie, Cranky (who would be a good replacement for Scrooge McDuck since the Disney Afternoon video games don't have a chance.) and Funky as an echo; Then DK would have perfect representation.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie has to be in smash 5! She has a long history with nintendo, she fought K. Rool 2 times, and she is still relevant these days in the new DKC games. Add me to the supporter list!
She fought him 4 times if you count the Land games. ;)

Mario has 7 (not including characters that have their own franchises.)
F.E. has 7
Pokemon has 6 (and is probably going to get another.)
Zelda (sort of) has 6

If we got Dixie, Cranky (who would be a good replacement for Scrooge McDuck since the Disney Afternoon video games don't have a chance.) and Funky as an echo; Then DK would have perfect representation.
We shouldn’t be concerned with playing catch up with other series IMO. Dixie is the last core DK character not in Smash.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm more than your average Nintendo fan, haha. I went out of my way to get my hands on each and every fighter in the series. Smash is my favorite franchise of all time since it bringts all of my favorite worlds into one, and every since I first played I wanted a real life "trophy set" of all of them.
Agreed I'm kinda the same way. I have all Smash amiibo besides the 3rd party characters, Male Corrin, Dr. Mario (I refuse to own more than 1 of each character. No Dr. Mario isn't a different character he's Mario with a doctor outfit). Wii Fit Trainer. and R.O.B. I also own a bunch of others not part of the Smash series like Waluigi, Daisy, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Boo, almost all the animal crossing set, Chibi-Robo, Bokoblin, Metroid, Guardian, Inkling Girl, Pearl & Marie, Callie & Marina, Chrom, Alm & Celica, Tiki, Waddle Dee, Toon Zelda. (Also have the Super Mario Cereal box)

I've got Wolf and Ridley on pre-order and as soon as K.Rool and Dark Samus are available for pre-order I'm there as well. I'm also gonna have to pre-order Octoling Girl from play-asia. I'm kinda upset I missed out on the Champions. They all go for outrageous prices nowadays. Like I stated above I don't like to own an amiibo of a character I already own so I won't be getting the Smash series Daisy, Inkling, or Chrom. The only character I own 2 of are Samus. Samus in Power suit and Zero Suit Samus.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Agreed I'm kinda the same way. I have all Smash amiibo besides the 3rd party characters, Male Corrin, Dr. Mario (I refuse to own more than 1 of each character. No Dr. Mario isn't a different character he's Mario with a doctor outfit). Wii Fit Trainer. and R.O.B. I also own a bunch of others not part of the Smash series like Waluigi, Daisy, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Boo, almost all the animal crossing set, Chibi-Robo, Bokoblin, Metroid, Guardian, Inkling Girl, Pearl & Marie, Callie & Marina, Chrom, Alm & Celica, Tiki, Toon Zelda. (Also have the Super Mario Cereal box)

I've got Wolf and Ridley on pre-order and as soon as K.Rool and Dark Samus are available for pre-order I'm there as well. I'm also gonna have to pre-order Octoling Girl from play-asia. I'm kinda upset I missed out on the Champions. They all go for outrageous prices nowadays. Like I stated above I don't like to own an amiibo of a character I already own so I won't be getting the Smash series Daisy, Inkling, or Chrom. The only character I own 2 of are Samus. Samus in Power suit and Zero Suit Samus.
I wish I would've known some of them went on pre-order, I would've liked to get them... guess it's back to scalper prices again D:

Top Bottom