• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Distant Day's Promise... - A Smashing Brave New World! Reiji and Xiaomu crosses paths in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! (Project X Zone / Namco X Capcom)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why aren't they considering ATLUS characters? I would like to see Joker or another Persona protagonist....
Just a hypothesis, but the fact that Atlus themselves are pushing Persona (5) at nearly every opportunity, plus the massive appearance in Smash might put that series at a somewhat lower priority in this mobile game that seems determined to show lesser-known franchises plus Sonic. Negotiations might also slightly complicate things.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Gosh, it seems like the 2nd Fighters Pass will be the last one.
It seems unlikely that we get Reiji and Xiaomu in this pass, unless they want to promote a new game or Sakurai really likes the CROSS series...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gosh, it seems like the 2nd Fighters Pass will be the last one.
It seems unlikely that we get Reiji and Xiaomu in this pass, unless they want to promote a new game or Sakurai really likes the CROSS series...
I'm banking on it moreso being a recommendation from Namco. When it comes to the other things they tend to push... Tekken's mechanics don't seem to translate too well to Smash, Valkyrie is probably unlikely without a collection or remaster, and KOS-MOS has to compete with Xenoblade. Could be wrong about any of them, but Reiji just seems like the best fit, all things considered.

They would probably be last if I had to guess though, especially if content outside of Cross originals is included.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I'm banking on it moreso being a recommendation from Namco. When it comes to the other things they tend to push... Tekken's mechanics don't seem to translate too well to Smash, Valkyrie is probably unlikely without a collection or remaster, and KOS-MOS has to compete with Xenoblade. Could be wrong about any of them, but Reiji just seems like the best fit, all things considered.

They would probably be last if I had to guess though, especially if content outside of Cross originals is included.
Wow, that's a good point of view...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I decided to listen to the original version of Brave New World...

Man, it is chilling. Whatever trailer uses that as a backdrop is gonna build a lot of suspense.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Geez, i can't believe how censored was the american version of Project X Zone. Specially the missing songs, including the Opening and versions of Wing Wanderer...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Geez, i can't believe how censored was the american version of Project X Zone. Specially the missing songs, including the Opening and versions of Wing Wanderer...
Speaking of censoring, should we be concerned about the attire of Xiaomu and Saya to a lesser extent?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't really know, Bayonneta is there...
But i don't think Sheath will make it in, as cameo nor a spirit...
It's mostly the potential for panty shots CERO seems concerned about... Maybe Xiaomu will get black leggings like Mythra to go with her black spandex.

And I suppose Saya's short shorts aren't really a problem either when Pyra is wearing something similar.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
It's mostly the potential for panty shots CERO seems concerned about... Maybe Xiaomu will get black leggings like Mythra to go with her black spandex.

And I suppose Saya's short shorts aren't really a problem either when Pyra is wearing something similar.
Huh, i'm curious abot how she would look with that...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Given how the character interactions are a major selling point of the series, could it be possible for the pair to have several victory quotes based on who they fought?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hmmm, what would be the Gimmick of their stage?
Well, warping to different worlds is covered by stage morphing already. Cliche though it may be at this point, we can expect cameos from Ouma, maybe also from Oros Phlox. Perhaps portals like the ones available in Stage Builder can appear? Are we fighting on the streets of Shibuya and/or the rooftops?

Something unrelated I meant to ask earlier, there have been a lot of original one-time characters in crossovers. How many have had the luxury Reiji & Xiaomu to be developed the way they have?

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Well, warping to different worlds is covered by stage morphing already. Cliche though it may be at this point, we can expect cameos from Ouma, maybe also from Oros Phlox. Perhaps portals like the ones available in Stage Builder can appear? Are we fighting on the streets of Shibuya and/or the rooftops?

Something unrelated I meant to ask earlier, there have been a lot of original one-time characters in crossovers. How many have had the luxury Reiji & Xiaomu to be developed the way they have?
Maybe a change between the Streets and the Rooftops? The cameos would be a good touch. Also yeah, you're right, they are really special in that regard. I just hope Bamco don't forget about them, specially considering that the Directors of the series left Monolith Soft like 2 years ago...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe a change between the Streets and the Rooftops? The cameos would be a good touch. Also yeah, you're right, they are really special in that regard. I just hope Bamco don't forget about them, specially considering that the Directors of the series left Monolith Soft like 2 years ago...
I mean, with Monolith being a Nintendo second-party now, makes you wonder if the latter could pull some strings?

Another cool thing they could do if they intend this as a climax, could be to have rifts in the background open to show clips of Smash throughout history, of both cutscenes and gameplay.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I mean, with Monolith being a Nintendo second-party now, makes you wonder if the latter could pull some strings?

Another cool thing they could do if they intend this as a climax, could be to have rifts in the background open to show clips of Smash throughout history, of both cutscenes and gameplay.
I hope so. I even heard that the Project X Zone team was splitting...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hope so. I even heard that the Project X Zone team was splitting...
But then, isn't that also the nature of the Cross series?

Ever shifting, in cast, scope and tone. We may not ever get a Project X Zone 3 as we know it, but that isn't to say the Cross series won't live on. Whatever shape the game takes, whoever leads the charge even if it's not Reiji and Xiaomu, whether the story is dramatic, epic or silly, there will always be those who want to bring all those gaming worlds together again.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
But then, isn't that also the nature of the Cross series?

Ever shifting, in cast, scope and tone. We may not ever get a Project X Zone 3 as we know it, but that isn't to say the Cross series won't live on. Whatever shape the game takes, whoever leads the charge even if it's not Reiji and Xiaomu, whether the story is dramatic, epic or silly, there will always be those who want to bring all those gaming worlds together again.
Well said. That makes me want to see some representation of the series in anyform, to hold it's legacy, the legacy of the other Dream Crossover Project besides Smash...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I found this while browsing Twitter, if you all are interested.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So I found this while browsing Twitter, if you all are interested.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Namco X Capcom had a much more serious tone than the Project X Zone games, huh? The music is more somber and this opening has some bleak moments.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Namco X Capcom had a much more serious tone than the Project X Zone games, huh? The music is more somber and this opening has some bleak moments.
To be fair, Project X Zone added Sega to the mix. Those guys are inherintly more light-hearted, even when they're trying to be serious (just look at Yakuza).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To be fair, Project X Zone added Sega to the mix. Those guys are inherintly more light-hearted, even when they're trying to be serious (just look at Yakuza).
You know, I never looked at things that way before. But I think you're right. Sega characters are, on average, much sillier than those from Capcom or Namco. The only series off the top of my head from them that is completely devoid of humor in of itself would be Shinobi.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So, how it should be their Classic Mode?
I tought of something, where they fight characters of the different companies by each round. The final boss would be Master Hand

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, how it should be their Classic Mode?
I tought of something, where they fight characters of the different companies by each round. The final boss would be Master Hand
Well, I would make it a mix of that and referencing stuff from the games proper. First round could be against a Falco team, then you're either fighting against or teaming up with characters who have been part of the Cross series (eg. vs. Chrom and Lucina with Tiki assist, teaming up with Ryu vs. Violent Ken with Akira assist etc.). Penultimate fight against Fox (Saya), then a massive team-up against Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Well, I would make it a mix of that and referencing stuff from the games proper. First round could be against a Falco team, then you're either fighting against or teaming up with characters who have been part of the Cross series (eg. vs. Chrom and Lucina with Tiki assist, teaming up with Ryu vs. Violent Ken with Akira assist etc.). Penultimate fight against Fox (Saya), then a massive team-up against Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
Also, since they're from an TRPG their battles would be in Stamina Mode?

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Well, i finally completed Namco X Capcom and, HOO BOY...
The gameplay, though it was kinda slow, it also was very good with that combo mechanic and it grew on me, altough it can get annoying when you are fighting a really big wave of enemies...
And the story was fantastic! Way more developed than the other installments, i loved it! They used the biggest cards there (or at least when the game came out), and wow...
If i had to rank the Story of the games it would be like:
1-. Namco X Capcom
2-. Project X Zone 2
3-. Project X Zone
It saddens me that this game never came out of Japan at all...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, since they're from an TRPG their battles would be in Stamina Mode?
I guess. The right combo of partners and Assist Trophies coming together could really make you feel like you're playing one of the games.

Well, i finally completed Namco X Capcom and, HOO BOY...
The gameplay, though it was kinda slow, it also was very good with that combo mechanic and it grew on me, altough it can get annoying when you are fighting a really big wave of enemies...
And the story was fantastic! Way more developed than the other installments, i loved it! They used the biggest cards there (or at least when the game came out), and wow...
If i had to rank the Story of the games it would be like:
1-. Namco X Capcom
2-. Project X Zone 2
3-. Project X Zone
It saddens me that this game never came out of Japan at all...
The story of Reiji & Xiaomu is all the more impressive when you stop to think... they really didn't need to give them one, let alone well-developed personalities. After all, it's not common to go into making these kinds of games thinking you'll make more of them, so why put effort into things like that beyond the established?

The first Project X Zone having the weakest story says it all, really. Mii & Kogoro are fine leads but they just don't hold a candle to Reiji & Xiaomu, lacking the drive that leads the latter to push forward and recruit others to their cause.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I guess. The right combo of partners and Assist Trophies coming together could really make you feel like you're playing one of the games.

The story of Reiji & Xiaomu is all the more impressive when you stop to think... they really didn't need to give them one, let alone well-developed personalities. After all, it's not common to go into making these kinds of games thinking you'll make more of them, so why put effort into things like that beyond the established?

The first Project X Zone having the wekaest story says it all, really. Mii & Kogoro are fine leads but they just don't hold a candle to Reiji & Xiaomu, lacking the drive that leads the latter to push forward and recruit others to their cause.
I know, now i feel even more supportive than before for them.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Since ARMS is all the rage now, I'm going to try listing some potential pairings involving those characters...

- Spring Man and Little Mac
- Ribbon Girl and Ulala
- Twintelle and Pai Chan
- Min Min and Makoto (Street Fighter)
- Ninjara and Ibuki
- Master Mummy and Anakaris

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Since ARMS is all the rage now, I'm going to try listing some potential pairings involving those characters...

- Spring Man and Little Mac
- Ribbon Girl and Ulala
- Twintelle and Pai Chan
- Min Min and Makoto (Street Fighter)
- Ninjara and Ibuki
- Master Mummy and Anakaris
I think you forgot someone very obvious...
Bravo Man

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So, it just ocurred to me, which songs would be chosen if they get in? I know i already made a list on the support post, but which ones could get a remix? They could include music from other Bamco (Or even Capcom and SEGA) franchises a la Terry? The Opening themes would have Copyright issues? That last one kinda happened with Project X Zone...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, it just ocurred to me, which songs would be chosen if they get in? I know i already made a list on the support post, but which ones could get a remix? They could include music from other Bamco (Or even Capcom and SEGA) franchises a la Terry? The Opening themes would have Copyright issues? That last one kinda happened with Project X Zone...
They could bring back the Yokai Dochuki medley that weirdly got cut from Ultimate, bring back the costume from Tower Of Druaga with a corresponding theme, and an Adventure Of Valkyrie remix is almost guaranteed. Maybe also Ride The Tiger to honor Akira's assist role.

I had this idea of a reveal trailer, starting with R.O.B overlooking the cross-shaped light left after the Subspace Emissary, when a large rift opens with several Ouma baddies popping out, followed by a crashing Dragonturtle. A brawl ensues, and eventually the DLC fighters join in.

Top Bottom