• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Discussion] Playing as Olimar/Alph in Team Smash Matches

Ikenna Ezechukwu

Smash Rookie
Discuss various things about you playing as Olimar in just about any form of Team Smash matches, where he stands in them, role(s), and such. What are your habits? What do you prioritize doing? How do you look out for your teammates while managing your playstyle?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
As a frequent visitor of the FG Teams room on both 3DS & Wii U, Alph/Olimar is definitely one of my most played characters in that room, due to the sheer lack of sent Replay footage in the U.S. FG Teams section in both versions (especially the 3DS version), potentially making me one of the biggest contributors of Alph's metagame in the U.S. region of that setting. He's definitely among the better characters to rep in FG Teams, alongside Jr, DH, and WFT.

I play Alph (and then Olimar if I stick around for a 5th match as him, since visual variety from me is quite a spice :D) like I would virtually every other character in any other setting: Aggressive rushdown. His shorthop aerials definitely lend themselves to this quite well, as does his DTilt --> UTilt. This coincidentally can make me seem like the Team Leader at times, particularly when I've got someone like Samus, DH, or Robin as a partner. It's actually quite a fitting role for Olimar, since he is a family man, on top of commanding legions of Pikmin. :> Keeping thrown Pikmin on someone is easier when you & your partner are wombo comboing them and preventing them from NAir-ing your Pikmin outta there. It's endearingly fitting when I'm partnered up with Ness, Villager (M & F), or Duck Hunt. :3

If I'm backing off from someone at some point, it's most likely because I'm either trying to pluck up Pikmin, dodge an attack, or tending to my partner who may be in trouble.

I definitely bring him out when good Robins (DTilting under Thoron is SWEET) & Ikes (Chucking a Pikmin in the way of his Side B = >:D), Flare Blitz spamming Charizards (They crash headfirst onto any thrown Pikmin. >:D), and projectile spammers are wrecking my team. Raptor Boost spamming Falcons are also prime for Pikmin chucking. Do be wary of any Zeldas, (Dark) Pits, and anyone else with a reflector, since Side B & Smashes become quite risky when those are on the field.

If my partner's at 100+% (and/or my partner's in a vulnerable position, like spending their Up B moves, being Rosalina when Luma's KO'd, Robin being out of Wind Book [The Wind Jab Ender's buff makes this more likely now, since it's used more], etc.), I'm sticking by my partner's side to guard him for as long as I can, especially if there's projectiles that can KO being flung around for my own chucked Pikmin to take (and perish from ._.). Depending on how strong the pressure being applied to my partner by the opposing team is, I MAY go NAlph/NOlimar for a bit until there's breathing room, my partner's KO'd, or the match is over.

If I'M at 100+% (and there's around 10 seconds or less or so left), I MAY do what Alph is believed to be good at: Running & Up B-ing around, chucking Pikmin, staying low to dodge stuff & setup my partner's moves with Tilts (DTilt in particular), and Smash Attacking. Such things, as cowardly as they may be, can let me still contribute to the team effort without being The Load.

If someone on the opposing team's at 90+% and there's no Reds or Purple Pikmin in line, I'll try to chuck any Blue & White Pikmin that's in my lineup at someone on that team and hope those Pikmin get KO'd so I can try to pluck Reds & Reggies & even Yellows. I'd try for Blues for the Up Throw, if there wasn't a looming 2 minute timer in the corner. >_>

I definitely go very deep for the edgeguards like I'm Jr/ROB/Villager, no matter which Pikmin are in my party, though I'd want Reds, Yellows, or Purples on deck when I go out there for the DAir spike and BAir. Folks like Little Mac, Dr. Mario, and Link ADORE me for this, since they don't get to go very far off-stage, and I do.

If you're looking for some of my replays in the 3DS version from me, look for "SlideTiltSavior!" (I'd send more if I weren't holding on to a bunch of tech-filled replays for a couple of other characters, like my 2 mains). In the Wii U version, you'll definitely find more from me. In both versions, look for a Mii named Sploosh. You'll know you've found my vids if you see "OPENDEAL! MICRO!" w/ Saki Amamiya's face in my profile.

Ikenna Ezechukwu

Smash Rookie
@ Splooshi Splashy Splooshi Splashy I just watched your Wii U replays of the month and wow does our playstyles contrast! I've also sent out my own replays after watching them. Liked how you and that Shulk player go offstage a couple of times to finish off your foes. I've really got to get into the habit of going deep offstage to finish off opponents!

Anyways, I play my Alph as a defensive support, so I'm actually usually behind my teammates, sending Pikmin to their front lines as if to provide cover. I look for ways to rack up damage percentages of opponents while hopefully keeping mine to a minimum. My go-to attack option when approaching low-damaged opponents is pummel --> D-throw --> F-air. Most of the time I remember to stay close to my teammates so I can follow up their attacks. Using the still-decent grab range, sometimes I try to grab opponents specifically so that my teammates may smash them, furthering my support role as there are times when I have trouble landing KOs by myself in two minutes anyways. That said, I like to team up with competent players who use characters with great KO moves that realize what I'm doing for them. I usually have 0-1 falls per match lately so even if I have a teammate with two falls, we may stand a chance in winning through Sudden Death.

I do like to get all aggressive when Robin is an enemy on the battlefield! Squad Leader vs Tactician!

Top Bottom