• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion of Opinion Infallibility

Do you think opinions are infallible?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No Comment

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
There's an idea going around that I like to call opinion infallibility. It's the idea that, because an idea is an opinion it is in an unassailable position. I'll post my opinion on the subject later, but I'd like to see how others feel about this idea.

Personally, I STRONGLY believe opinions are completely fallible. The idea that opinions are unassailable from criticism ironically increases close-mindedness. Because everyone's opinion is sacred, they'll never be challenged or changed because it's guarded as correct in their mind without the ability to be altered. I believe opinion is the exact opposite of this. Completely arguable. Unlike fact I believe opinion has the property of being allowed to be easily challenged freely. Of course, this opinion also has the property of being allowed to be challenged, so feel free to post counter-arguments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Opinions are definitely fallible. Facts are the only thing meant to be always true. Opinions are not always true.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
I don't think very many people argue opinions are infallible, its just simply not true. The only reason why people tread carefully around "opinions" is because its tied to many peoples identity and other related things. Give the opinion a chance and try to understand where they're coming from and why they're saying what they're saying. The principal of charity may also be important here, as an attempt from you to try to understand the most rational form of the argument can go a long way to prevent unnecessary conflict or strife. Some people just try to take these concepts to far and hide behind them, which is what you don't want to happen.

Also there are some situations where wearing the farce of all opinions are valid can bring people out of their shells to actually express it (as it immediately means there will be no "ridicule" for being "wrong"), but that's a personal development thing and probably should be saved for someplace that isn't an open debate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom