• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Discussion] Most effective tools? aka Best Customs for Link

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
If you ever play with custom specials, which ones do you use for link and why do you think they're the most effective?

I use the custom "normal" boomerang because of the fact that it hits on the way back. Nothing feels better than having your opponent jump over it to try to close in on you, and then running backwards so the boomerang hits them and pops them up for an easy Fair or up smash.

and Power bow works for me as well. I surprisingly tend not to spam that much with Link except for his boomerang for jabbing purposes, so I mainly use the power bow once an opponent is off stage or across the stage. Full charge, good timing, and they take a ton of damage as well as possibly not making it back onto the stage.

I use the big bomb just because it's a giant thing that makes people nervous.

And the Spinning leap or whatever it's called because I don't use the up B outside of recovery purposes anyway.

If anyone else has some pretty clever ways to use his other specials then share em.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I use the normal boomerang since it has the same initial knockback as the gale with the benefit of the hitbox on it's way back which is extremely useful. You can use it to break combos, extend combos and also as a deterrent or gimping tool.

I use the power bow since that knockback is just heavenly. It is quite restricting in that is has to be fully charged, but when you hit someone off stage with it it doesn't just gimp, it freaking KOs instantly. Another benefit is that it makes people damn nervous once they know you have it since they know that one hit from it could KO them. This comes in handy when you hit someone off stage at higher percentages ahile being near the center of the stage or further since you don't have to run to the edge to edgeguard, just charge it and aim for a gimp, or wait for them to get back on stage. Most people won't know how to get back on the stage. Intimidation can be jsut a good a gimp as an offstage nair.

Normal UpB because I like having it as an attack option.

Meteor bombs. Meteor bombs are so awesome that I'll write a poems about them:

Meteor bombs are great and fun,
rather than knocking back they stun.
This is an awesome tool
since they will stop any fool
who approaches as you fall
and also extends your combos to all.
Use them offstage for a gimp
and watch all others go limp
from the spike after the boom
which sends them straight to their doom.
There are downsides though so beware,
a shorter fuse is one of the three that were
included to not break this tool
which not using will make you a fool.
In 3 seconds they explode;
and their air spped also feels slowed.
However when thrown down there they lie,
not exploding and waiting in stand by.
Like a mine they remain,
thus extending your stage domain.
They also provide great MC onstage
since you'll drop like a tool of the stone age,
but offstage you're dead
because you'll drop like lead.
So stop reading and go try them;
trust me, really, you'll love them.

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
I use the normal boomerang since it has the same initial knockback as the gale with the benefit of the hitbox on it's way back which is extremely useful. You can use it to break combos, extend combos and also as a deterrent or gimping tool.

I use the power bow since that knockback is just heavenly. It is quite restricting in that is has to be fully charged, but when you hit someone off stage with it it doesn't just gimp, it freaking KOs instantly. Another benefit is that it makes people damn nervous once they know you have it since they know that one hit from it could KO them. This comes in handy when you hit someone off stage at higher percentages ahile being near the center of the stage or further since you don't have to run to the edge to edgeguard, just charge it and aim for a gimp, or wait for them to get back on stage. Most people won't know how to get back on the stage. Intimidation can be jsut a good a gimp as an offstage nair.

Normal UpB because I like having it as an attack option.

Meteor bombs. Meteor bombs are so awesome that I'll write a poems about them:

Meteor bombs are great and fun,
rather than knocking back they stun.
This is an awesome tool
since they will stop any fool
who approaches as you fall
and also extends your combos to all.
Use them offstage for a gimp
and watch all others go limp
from the spike after the boom
which sends them straight to their doom.
There are downsides though so beware,
a shorter fuse is one of the three that were
included to not break this tool
which not using will make you a fool.
In 3 seconds they explode;
and their air spped also feels slowed.
However when thrown down there they lie,
not exploding and waiting in stand by.
Like a mine they remain,
thus extending your stage domain.
They also provide great MC onstage
since you'll drop like a tool of the stone age,
but offstage you're dead
because you'll drop like lead.
So stop reading and go try them;
trust me, really, you'll love them.

I'm do done. Advice in the form of poetry. I cry T_T.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
If you ever play with custom specials, which ones do you use for link and why do you think they're the most effective?

I use the big bomb just because it's a giant thing that makes people nervous.
This made my day lmao. Going to have it on my sig for a bit

I uh, haven't unlocked any customs for Link yet, other than the giant bombs, so I'll probably do that when I'm not feeling lazy. Power bow sounds like fun.

Last edited:

EralIsAwesome

Smash Rookie
NNID
EralIsAwesome
3DS FC
1134-7829-3481
so i was 100% normal boomerang for a while. recently, i've been able to set up up smashes with the gale boomerang consistently and to great effect, with little to no repercussion that wasn't an easy read into shield. i need to practice more with ripping boomerang, but those few up smashes that i got out of it were enough for me to commit to gale boomerang. when using gale boomerang, how do you like to follow up?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Just came here to say that holy crap Power Bow is incredible. It's basically Megaman's F-smash, but faster, with more reach, and you can start charging it in the air.

If customs are going to be banned forever, it's a shame. This would make Link a powerhouse like few others can be.

Top Bottom