• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussing legal issues gets your thread shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
*To be clear, this post has nothing to do with legal matters. Just Smashboads policy*

I was going to post on a thread called "Roy and Mewtwo should removed from the game. If they are, then Nintendo can't C&D.", but the thread was locked from future posts.

The reason the mod gave was: "Unless you're actually a lawyer, please don't make a thread about legal matters."

Where does it say in the Smashboards terms & conditions that this is inappropriate behavior unless you have a law degree?
Since the legal state of PM is a big concern of those who play it, what is the actual reason we can't talk about it?

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Nothing fruitful is going to come from a bunch of armchair lawyers endlessly arguing over their interpretations of the vague and murky mess that is copyright law.

If Nintendo wants to C&D, they will. But they have not done so. That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Since when, exactly.
Since February 7, 2011, 8:47pm, 34.3333 seconds (give ore take a decimal).
Or maybe right now. Does it really matter?

It's an issue that some people obviously want to discuss, so what is the real reason to stop them from doing so.
If you don't want a million threads on the topic than just point people to the main thread before you lock a new one.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
There is nothing to discuss, especially if you aren't a real lawyer. Nothing productive can come of this thread.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
There is nothing to discuss, especially if you aren't a real lawyer. Nothing productive can come of this thread.
Did you read my post?
I'm not discussing legal issues surrounding Project M.
I'm asking what is the smashboards policy that justifies locking threads that discuss legal issues.

Saying you can't discuss a topic because "there's nothing to discuss" is not a fair answer to my question.
And why would someone have to be a lawyer to ask a question about smashboards policy?

D

Deleted member

Where does it say in the Smashboards terms & conditions that this is inappropriate behavior unless you have a law degree?
the role of the moderation team is to try to bridge the gaps between members of the community, or to tell people when to stop talking. this topic encompasses the latter, don't take it personally.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the thread itself was locked because of its ridiculous assertion. Simply removing Roy and Mewtwo would not put Project M in the legal clear. All that thread was going to be was either an endless argument of people telling the OP he's wrong and him disagreeing, or him agreeing and the thread loses its point and should be locked anyway since there would be nothing more to discuss on the topic.

PM's legal status is murky, but I feel like Nintendo doesn't want to rush to court over it and risk a repeat of Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc. Apple already has to sit there and watch people hack their Iphones because the courts declared a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking them. Don't think Ninty wants to be next.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
the role of the moderation team is to try to bridge the gaps between members of the community, or to tell people when to stop talking. this topic encompasses the latter, don't take it personally.
No offense taken.
But describing the role of moderators doesn't answer my question. Moderators need a reason to tell people to stop talking.
I'm asking for a clarification of smashboards policy. I'm not trying to debate or argue; I just want to know why this particular topic is taboo.

And speaking of a clarification...
I'm pretty sure the thread itself was locked because of its ridiculous assertion. Simply removing Roy and Mewtwo would not put Project M in the legal clear. All that thread was going to be was either an endless argument of people telling the OP he's wrong and him disagreeing, or him agreeing and the thread loses its point and should be locked anyway since there would be nothing more to discuss on the topic.
Thank you. You're saying it's not the topic of legal issues itself, but the content of the thread that leads to being locked.
So a thread on PM's legal issues won't be locked as long as it's a civil, constructive discussion.
This thread would have been a lot shorter if you commented earlier. (^_^)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's not that it can't be discussed, it's that the other thread was poorly handled and the owner asked it to be locked if I recall.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Discussions around moderator activity should be brought up directly with the moderator, not making a topic complaining that another thread was locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom