• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discovery: Float Canceling can be transferred to a non float aerial (IASAFC / Linked FC)

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
I have stumbled across something really interesting about how Float Canceling works. I have barely had more than a few hours to really understand the implications and applications of this, but I'm presenting what I know in the hopes that some of you can work out what can be done with it. Thanks to Vestboy_Myst Vestboy_Myst has helped me more accurately define what is going on.

It is possible to transfer the Float Cancel properties of an aerial to a second aerial by linking them together through IASA frames.

This means that the second aerial will be float canceled even though it didn't start in float.

For example:

Peach does a down air while floating and DROPS FLOAT, during the IASA frames of Dair, she does a Nair. The Nair WILL BE FLOAT CANCELED.

A quick look at Peach's aerial IASA data:

N-Air
Total: 49
Hit: 3-23
IASA: 42

U-Air
Total: 35
Hit: 7-11
IASA: 34

B-Air
Total: 44
Hit: 6-22
IASA: 38

D-Air
Total: 39
Hit: 12-13, 18-19, 24-25, 30-31
IASA: 36

As you can see Nair and Bair have the biggest IASA windows at 7 and 6 frames respectively. Dair with 3 and Uair with only a 1 frame window to make the link.

There may be ways to exploit this even more, but so far this is unknown and for us to experiment with.

Practical applications are to be explored and discussed.

I propose that this be named Linked Float Canceling, or more formally IASA Linked Float Canceling.

eg. 'A Float Dair to linked FC nair'

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
we've been trying to brainstorm uses for IASAFC/linked FCs but haven't had much luck. any ideas from the peanut gallery? we've gone through most of the 2- and 3-aerial string permutations for her five aerials and none seem to stand out as an improvement over current methods

in its present state i don't think that this discovery is very useful. however, as a proof of concept, this is pretty cool. learning more about how the 'FC-able' property transfers through IASA frames may lead to a big breakthrough someday

Last edited:

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
That's really cool. I noticed the other day too that if you chain aerials together in the ISAI frames you don't get the speed penalty that comes from going into fall (the action state you get after jump). Oddly it didn't work twice though. After the second move, even if interrupted, it drops your speed. Do you know if this works if you link it more than once?

I can't come up with any way this would be useful though. Maybe it would trip people up if you floated off the top platform and weaved back with nair into another nair and get the float cancel as a bait?

Anyway, cool find.

*I'll just have to make a gif of this later. It only makes sense if you see the debug numbers.*

Last edited:

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
That's really cool. I noticed the other day too that if you chain aerials together in the ISAI frames you don't get the speed penalty that comes from going into fall (the action state you get after jump). Oddly it didn't work twice though. After the second move, even if interrupted, it drops your speed. Do you know if this works if you link it more than once.

I can't come up with any way this would be useful though. Maybe it would trip people up if you floated off the top platform and weaved back with nair into another nair and get the float cancel as a bait?

Anyway, cool find.
i'm confused, you're going to have to rephrase that first paragraph. what exactly is this speed penalty you're avoiding? in which direction does it hinder her movement, horizontally or vertically?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Great work!!! I'll have to think about applications. I feel like there has to be some use for this

NightFox54

Smash Cadet
Application: High float dair into nair into whatever ground pressure you'd like to apply. It allows for longer strings of float pressure to wear that shield down.

NightFox54

Smash Cadet
U-Air
Total: 35
Hit: 7-11
IASA: 34
This doesn't seem right. Is this just the first hitbox? I'd like to know because I could see Uair linking to other moves (difficult technically, but if the last hitbox is close enough to the IASA frame, we could do that into nair pretty easily.)

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
This doesn't seem right. Is this just the first hitbox? I'd like to know because I could see Uair linking to other moves (difficult technically, but if the last hitbox is close enough to the IASA frame, we could do that into nair pretty easily.)
Don't quite understand the question here. Uair hits on frames 7-11, at frame 35 the move finishes, at frame 34 you can use IASA frames to act 1 frame sooner. This means that there is a very small window to use linked FC with uair.

NightFox54

Smash Cadet
Don't quite understand the question here. Uair hits on frames 7-11, at frame 35 the move finishes, at frame 34 you can use IASA frames to act 1 frame sooner. This means that there is a very small window to use linked FC with uair.
Wow, I've been watching Peach's uair- you know the bit where she kicks, then after the dress sort of recoils upwards after she brings her leg back down? I thought she was kicking again, and this was a multi-hit move. Guess you learn something new every day.

Top Bottom