• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discouragement?

MoMoney

Smash Rookie
when I opened my brawl for the first time , I was really excited. I thought i would do exceptionally having played melee well but i could hardly go beyond level 5 computers... has anyone been discouraged in this attempt: thinking u'd be better in first play but u weren't? i got really discouraged by it...

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
It was the opposite for me , i thought i'd suck since this is my first smash game but somehow i'm on equal level with lvl9...i suppose it's the gamer genes and the 10 hours of practice i put in the game combined with the fact that i never was used to melee.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Don't be, it's a new game, you'll get used to it just like all people got used to Melee, the transition just takes some time, and we're all good players in no-time :)...well at least the Americans, I have to wait for months...

Just don't be discouraged, go play the SSE for a while to get the hang of it :)...

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
I lost to the computers the first time I played. However, I had been using King Dedede on Bunny hood mode for some reason. I'm trying to build up my skill now.

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure people have had the same encounter you have had. Brawl is not Melee 2.0, so don't readily expect all the techniques and comforts you gained in Melee to operate as well the first time around. Also don't get discouraged by those players who seem to fair better than you are, you'll get better over time, don't give up. Even those who've fair better than you started where you are at some point in their SSB career.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Few great Smashers are born great like Superman. Most force themselves to be great through perseverance and sheer force of will - like Batman.

And as anyone will tell you, Batman is infinitely more awesome.
What about super batman? The born genius who's never happy with his skill and always wishes to improve through vigorous training.

I'm sure people have had the same encounter you have had. Brawl is not Melee 2.0, so don't readily expect all the techniques and comforts you gained in Melee to operate as well the first time around. Also don't get discouraged by those players who seem to fair better than you are, you'll get better over time, don't give up. Even those who've fair better than you started where you are at some point in their SSB career.
No, i certainly didn't start like that , if you read my above post you'll see that this is my first ssb game...and i can beat it on lvl 9 with P.trainer against anyone, 5 stock and no items on final destination.

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
What about super batman? The born genius who's never happy with his skill and always wishes to improve through vigorous training.

No, i certainly didn't start like that , if you read my above post you'll see that this is my first ssb game...and i can beat it on lvl 9 with P.trainer against anyone, 5 stock and no items on final destination.
Well thats nice to hear but beating level 9 computers is not really saying anything, you should try your hand with players.

@OP- Just keep practicing, Like wisemen said not everyone is going to be good on the first try, doesn't necessarily mean you will forever suck.

Starzaka

Smash Rookie
It was the opposite for me , i thought i'd suck since this is my first smash game but somehow i'm on equal level with lvl9...i suppose it's the gamer genes and the 10 hours of practice i put in the game combined with the fact that i never was used to melee.
What's up with that? A few of my friends suck balls with Melee, but were kicking my *** with Brawl. X_X

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
I think those who played Melee have their brains wired to playing that, so now they have to rewire themselves, which is much easier than wiring new things when you had none before. (Psychology class talking here)

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Well thats nice to hear but beating level 9 computers is not really saying anything, you should try your hand with players.

@OP- Just keep practicing, Like wisemen said not everyone is going to be good on the first try, doesn't necessarily mean you will forever suck.
I've done that too , granted the game has been out for not long enough but i've won most of the matches i've played online...and the times i lost it was due to some other person using items and nailing the other opponents with FSs...

Top Bottom