• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Disclaimer:Changes that Nintendo didn´t need to make and the ones got right

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
The good changes:
removed tripping
separated some of the characters
Smash run
new characters
49 characters Available to play
Custom moves and badges
Classic mode
The bad:
controls
difficulty of Classic and All-Star mode
too defensive
rolling is too much safe in this game(I have lost to Dark Pit in classic mode using Link in stage 3)
Few stages in classic mode(34)

And you? How do you feel about the changes made in this game?

Raijinken

Smash Master
This game's pretty great over all, and honestly, I'd still disagree on the "too defensive" aspect. Defense doesn't get the user destroyed like it did in Melee and 64, and yet it's more punishable itself than Brawl's, which seems to make for a nice balance. That includes rolling.

All I think I'll miss from past stages are Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, but even then, those will be offset by other options.

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
This game's pretty great over all, and honestly, I'd still disagree on the "too defensive" aspect. Defense doesn't get the user destroyed like it did in Melee and 64, and yet it's more punishable itself than Brawl's, which seems to make for a nice balance. That includes rolling.

All I think I'll miss from past stages are Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, but even then, those will be offset by other options.
Agree with you, sometimes I get an Ko at percentages as close to Brawl or melee.However, at times, Ko is only possible at very high percentages like 150%, so...

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Which of those were bad or good decisions?

Anyway, here are mine.

Good decisions
removal of tripping
faster gameplay
removal of edgehogging
Huge roster
addition of 1vs1 online
Mewtwo (obviously)
Patches to improve gameplay
No custom moves in online with anyone
Master and Crazy Hand getting new moves for once

Bad decisions
Huge starting roster (I don't get why they gave us 35 and even more in the Wii U version. It's like they think fans hate unlocking things. Plus they made unlocking so easy and boring. The starting roster should've been no more than 25 in my opinion)
removal of characters from previous games
the stage choice (3DS has THE worst stage selection in the series)
smash run (Very uninspired. Just another Kirby like mode with barely any options)
Street Smash very lame
Trophy rush very boring
The unlocking of custom moves
Removal of Target Smash (the new mode barely has any strategy and is more luck based)
Menu layout isn't well designed. Half the game's content being stuffed in "Games and More" is just kinda dumb.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Agree with you, sometimes I get an Ko at percentages as close to Brawl or melee.However, at times, Ko is only possible at very high percentages like 150%, so...
The average KO percent for one of the earlier tourneys was something like 120%, which is pretty normal. Gimpy kills are harder without landing a good spike, but it's all still possible, and the offstage recoverability makes it safer (and thus, more encouraged) for characters with good recoveries to make the trip offstage, at least from what I've seen.

Anyway, here are mine.

Good decisions
removal of tripping
faster gameplay
removal of edgehogging
Huge roster
addition of 1vs1 online
Mewtwo (obviously)

Bad decisions
Huge starting roster (I don't get why they gave us 35 and even more in the Wii U version. It's like they think fans hate unlocking things. Plus they made unlocking so easy and boring. The starting roster should've been no more than 25 in my opinion)
smash run (Very uninspired. Just another Kirby like mode with barely any options)
Street Smash very lame
Trophy rush very boring
Removal of Target Smash (the new mode barely has any strategy and is more luck based)
Menu layout isn't well designed. Half the game's content being stuffed in "Games and More" is just kinda dumb.
The changes to the roster I think are the most polarizing. On one hand, having so few things unlockable (at least character-wise) and having easy unlock conditions makes the single-player experience far shorter. But on the other hand, it saves time for the crowd that they're at least partially trying to cater to, that barely (if ever) touches single player content. I'd rather they cut to the chase and prompt on first bootup for "Do you want to unlock everything manually or automatically?", but that'll probably never happen.

I think the unlocks for customs would have been fine if you couldn't get dupes, but as someone who sat around and got every single one, I can agree with you that the system was poorly implemented. That said, I do wish customs were allowed in For Anyone (but not equipment, of course), since it would give everyone more practice with them.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
What problem do you have with Classic's difficulty?

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
The changes I'm most upset with are the lack of any story mode and Break the Targets. Smash Run is an okay substitute for the S.E., but the Wii U version doesn't seem to have any actual platforming aside from the brief Master Fortress. And I don't understand why they couldn't just make generic Target stages for all characters like they did in Brawl; the way they did it in Melee would be preferable but it's better than nothing. The current Target Smash is very frustrating and too similar to the Home-Run Contest for my liking.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Bad decisions
Huge starting roster (I don't get why they gave us 35 and even more in the Wii U version. It's like they think fans hate unlocking things.

Irony of that aside ;)

I personally do hate unlocking things. Even to this day it's a headache for tournaments because the extra settings menu isn't available or the full roster someone hasn't been unlocked. Melee at least allows save file copying, and years ago people found a way to break the save transfer block on Brawl, so as long as 1 person had the foresight to load a cracked save on an SD card...

Now it's harder to do that on Smash 4. To do this for players on 3DS, someone needs to have an Action Replay, a computer, and an internet connection to update their cartridge to have all the unlocks available to them. Day 1 Wii U tournaments probably won't even have the stock time limit available to them if it still takes 10 hours of play to get that feature like 3DS did.

As you said though, unlocking Custom Moves just plane sucks. Even more so because some characters go from being kind of 'meh' to actually being threatening. For example:

Pikachu getting a Zero Suit style stun on Neutral-B from Thunder Wave
Charizard's gains a terrifying amount of mobility and edge guard power from Dragon Rush
Ganon can actually punish many projectile spammers instead of being eaten alive by them with the warlock kick that pops in the air first

Now if they were say... unlocked through a shop you spent your smash coins on and could actually pick the ones you wanted, that would be amazing. You could actually unlock everything by doing nothing but multiplayer!

Instead, the team apparently thought that players would want to grind single player for 100+ hours to get the custom unlocks. And salt in the wound is them tying it to custom equipment. So you can't even use random if you have customs turned on, because the random choice will also get crap like 'Auto-Healer' or stupid high defense which makes KO'ing go from reasonable to "WHY ARE YOU NOT DEAD YET?"

Seriously, if you have a tournament scene that wants to use customs, someone should invest in an action replay to unlock all the customs for the group. If you're playing on Wii U, I think only 1 person would need a 3DS with everything unlocked to transfer the custom build to the Wii U. I don't think it will actually unlock that custom Wii U side, but you can at least still use your set.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

Anyway, here are mine.

Good decisions
removal of tripping
faster gameplay
removal of edgehogging
Huge roster
addition of 1vs1 online
Mewtwo (obviously)

Bad decisions
Street Smash very lame
Trophy rush very boring
Pretty much agree on all fronts, here.

I think the removal of edgehogging was one of the best decisions they could've made because it prevents certain characters from being immediately F-tiered. If Danongorf is F-tier this time around, it at least won't be because he's stupidly easy to edgehog.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much agree on all fronts, here.

I think the removal of edgehogging was one of the best decisions they could've made because it prevents certain characters from being immediately F-tiered. If Danongorf is F-tier this time around, it at least won't be because he's stupidly easy to edgehog.
Yeah getting rid of the edgehogs makes it fair for the characters with ****ty recoveries. Ganondork got a break this time around.

D

Deleted member

Right:
  • Removal of tripping
  • Faster gameplay
  • Easier to get some combos (not as combo heavy as Melee, but they are still possible)
  • Omega versions of stages (I don't strictly play on the Omega versions, but I am glad they exist so that I can play on an FD version of a banned stage and listen to awesome music)
  • Smash Run
  • Classic Mode is shorter (I know people complain about the length, but I prefer it to be shorter; in a roster of over 50+ characters, beating the mode with every character gets boring and it would be even more boring if it was the usual 11 stages long)
  • The roster
  • Online play is vastly improved
  • Patches
  • The fight against Master Core
  • New ledge mechanics
Wrong:
  • Getting custom moves is very random; I wish you could BUY custom moves
  • Removing Break the Targets
  • Target Blast in general is boring
  • StreetSmash
  • So many returning stages

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Right:
  • Removal of tripping
  • Faster gameplay
  • Easier to get some combos (not as combo heavy as Melee, but they are still possible)
  • Omega versions of stages (I don't strictly play on the Omega versions, but I am glad they exist so that I can play on an FD version of a banned stage and listen to awesome music)
  • Smash Run
  • Classic Mode is shorter (I know people complain about the length, but I prefer it to be shorter; in a roster of over 50+ characters, beating the mode with every character gets boring and it would be even more boring if it was the usual 11 stages long)
  • The roster
  • Online play is vastly improved
  • Patches
  • The fight against Master Core
  • New ledge mechanics
Wrong:
  • Getting custom moves is very random; I wish you could BUY custom moves
  • Removing Break the Targets
  • Target Blast in general is boring
  • StreetSmash
  • So many returning stages
I actually think that having a lot of returning stages is a great thing. Don't get me wrong, I love me some new stages but one of the things that makes me sad when we get a new Smash is that they get rid of a lot of them and only a handful return.
So I'm very happy that stages like Temple are coming back again, I honestly can't imagine a Smash game without that stage.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Something I really want to be patched is to make custom moves easier to unlock.

That's it.

Khao

Smash Lord
My only problem with this game's gameplay is the low hitstun. There are many things that pretty much feel like they were designed to combo into eachother, but they don't because the opponent can barely at the very last second.

Though listing it would be kinda dumb, as it's still better than it was in Brawl. It's just... It could be better yet.

On my first time playing, I was using the D-pad to move the characters, cause I assumed that the controls were just like brawl+ the c-pad. But I discovered, in the worst way possible, that it only served for taunting.
Except for the Wii Remote which has no analog stick, you have never been able to move with the D-Pad. I still don't understand why it's suddenly a common complaint with Smash 4 (especially when the game literally requires analog input to work as intended).

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
The good:
Characters
New modes like Smash Run and Trophy Rush
Solid online
Gameplay pace
Falcon knee

The bad:
Stage choices
For Glory
Controls (Might change for the Wii U version)
Everything being Kid Icarus Uprising-ed
Clones

The ugly:
Fox's voice
Ridley
Little Mac on Final Destination

haydyn

Smash Cadet
good things they did:
50 characters
two melee veterans finally back after thirteen years
made classic mode quicker to unlock characters faster
increased the speed of the game
bad things:
mii fighters could have been expanded on by making more mii classes
smash run was poorly made and got boring after the first try
online is clogged with little macs spamming the one hit KO move and his cheapness in general
they cut two of my mains
usually i like clones but dark pit is a pallette swap in brawl and nobody wanted him in the game and wasn't needed really
some modes were only there to take up space

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
good things they did:
50 characters
two melee veterans finally back after thirteen years
made classic mode quicker to unlock characters faster
increased the speed of the game
bad things:
mii fighters could have been expanded on by making more mii classes
smash run was poorly made and got boring after the first try
online is clogged with little macs spamming the one hit KO move and his cheapness in general
they cut two of my mains
usually i like clones but dark pit is a pallette swap in brawl and nobody wanted him in the game and wasn't needed really
some modes were only there to take up space
I think that smash run was pretty good, aside from randomess and the Eerie.I hated when eerie appears in smash run.

Top Bottom