• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disappointed with the 3DS song selection?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Full disclosure: I'm not really a Sonic player. However, I felt this thread belonged in the Sonic forum rather than the overall 3DS forum.

From one Sonic fan to a whole bunch of others, I have to say, the song choice for his stage (which is also unimaginative) has me disappointed. For those unaware, the two songs are confirmed to be:

His World (Instrumental)
Sonic Heroes Theme

To clarify, I am not saying these are "bad songs". I'm saying, in my opinion, that they're bad choices. Firstly, "His World" is a reminder of quite possibly one of the worst games ever made. Secondly, of all the Crush 40 excellence in the Sonic series, "Sonic Heroes" is probably their most forgettable output. (And Sonic Heroes, likewise, is a rather forgettable game.)

But even more importantly, neither of these songs are representative of Sonic's portable games-- of which there are a lot, specifically on Nintendo consoles. Sakurai himself stated that the 3DS version's stages were going to be geared more toward portable games, while the Wii U version's stages will be influenced by home console games. So why do we get Green Hill Zone (again) with two home console songs?

The Sonic Rush series and Sonic Advance series both have good soundtracks to pick from. Sonic Chronicles had unique songs as well. And the Genesis era of games is what has all of the most memorable and immediately recognizable tunes-- why would they pick two songs from his post-Sega-consoles era if they weren't going to at least stick with what was made exclusively for Nintendo consoles? There are so many of those games to pick from.

What would you all rather see for Sonic's music choices? Is there anything you're hoping will show up in the Wii U version instead?

(Personally, I'd put a vote up for this one.)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Ya definitely expected moar classic Genesis tunes

They've gotta be unlockable etc. though? And Wii-U might give us more :)

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Sonic 06 is one of the worst games in the franchise, I do like the Music/Artwork. So we get Green Hill Zone without even the Green Hill Zone theme.
Sakurai Logic

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
To be honest I hate the base Green Hill Zone theme (which is unfortunately one of the main themes that plays on GHZ, so Live and Learn or nothing). I much prefer the Generations or Advance 3 mixes of that song.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Technically all the Sonic songs so far are in Generations 3DS, so its still handheld related.
Sonic 06 is one of the worst games in the franchise, I do like the Music/Artwork. So we get Green Hill Zone without even the Green Hill Zone theme.
Sakurai Logic
The Green Hill Zone stage has Green Hill Zone and Live and Learn as songs. Sonic Heroes and His World are songs that arent apart of any stage

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Sonic 06 had awesome music despite the bad gameplay and His World is one of the best songs in the game, so I am very happy that the instrumental made it in.
Sonic Heroes is a classic and a pretty good song, even though it sounds corny on the title screen of the game. I'm happy with it too.

You do make a good point about not selecting from Advance and Rush though. Rush is tied with Generations for having my favorite Sonic soundtrack, so seeing something like "Jeh Jeh Rocket" would have been awesome, but for some reason the console songs seem to fit better for Smash. idk

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
The ONLY worthwhile thing about '06 was the soundtrack. No complaints there.
Mega Man and Pac-Man BOTH get new arrangements but Sonic gets re-hashed tunes from the old games?
They're good songs, but I mean really? Sonic's content for the most just feels lazy.

I know he isn't FRESH and NEW to smash anymore but....
They seemed to pull less of a SONIC LABYRINTH and more of a SONIC RUSH if you know what I mean ;)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Those are some awful song choices...

For instrumentals, I'd have gone with the traditional Green Hill Zone theme (Generations Classic/Modern remix would've been the best choice). And Neo Green Hill Zone from Sonic Advance 1. To me it's just fitting because, A) It's another Green Hill, and 2) Advance is the game that brought me back to being a Sonic fan. :,)

For lyricals: Endless Possibilities/Reach for the Stars easily. I'm just SO tired of Live and Learn... If I had to choose a song from Adventure, it would have been definitely Escape from the City, though.
And because I'm a huge fan of the classics, I would have chosen a Sonic CD remix of Sonic Boom / Toot Toot Sonic warrior. But I think SEGA lost the rights to that song (TTSW) so that's not happening soon (unless it's instrumental like in SAASRT)

Really hoping the song selection is broader on the Wii U. I want my Sky Sanctuary / S&K Final Boss remix. :,)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Copyright issues, I'm assuming? It's why I don't like His World (Instrumental) and Seven Rings in Hand - it's looped - in Brawl that much, especially compared to the originals.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Two of the songs that show up on that stage are actually Green Hill Zone and Live & Learn. In fact, I'm quite happy with the song selection. To my knowledge (since someone uploaded it to Youtube), they have the full version of Live & Learn here, not just the chorus and first verse like in Brawl.

Now, it's possible that Green Hill Zone might be one of the few stages that actually has three song choices instead of two, but if that's the case then I don't know what the third song is.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Copyright issues, I'm assuming? It's why I don't like His World (Instrumental) and Seven Rings in Hand - it's looped - in Brawl that much, especially compared to the originals.
In the Vocal Version of His World doesn't it have a curse word or two?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I feel like I'm the only one who prefers Sonics latest vocal music over his retro genesis music.

Though I wish we had a Crush 40 or Cash Cash Song....

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Meh. I can't say they're awful. But honestly I prefer some of the other Sonic songs.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Mega Man and Pac-Man both have at least three remixes. So far, Sonic has none. Even Brawl had a Sonic remix, and Sonic was a last-minute addition to that. Now they have actual development time to give him more content and he still gets the absolute bare minimum?

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
Also, we got some good songs including one of the trio of super amazing crush 40 tracks (Live and Learn), but none of the other two (Open Your Heart, What I'm Made Of).

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Two of the songs that show up on that stage are actually Green Hill Zone and Live & Learn. In fact, I'm quite happy with the song selection. To my knowledge (since someone uploaded it to Youtube), they have the full version of Live & Learn here, not just the chorus and first verse like in Brawl.

Now, it's possible that Green Hill Zone might be one of the few stages that actually has three song choices instead of two, but if that's the case then I don't know what the third song is.
It's not quite the full version, but it's a lot better than Brawl's.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I have a theory on why we don't have many Sonic remixes(at least that we know of). I think Sega doesn't want them to remix songs. In the Mario and Sonic series, the Mario music is mostly remixed, while the Sonic side has very little remixes, and those are made by Sega. I guess they're is too stubborn to have their music remixed (with some exceptions like Generations). If I recall correctly, the Angel Island remix wasn't even meant for Brawl, it was something Jun Senoue made, and they used it because of Sonic's rushed inclusion.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I feel like I'm the only one who prefers Sonics latest vocal music over his retro genesis music.
Nah, I'm with you on that. I'm just glad they didn't pick too many 16-bit songs again. We REALLY didn't need Emerald Hill or Scrap Brain back. His World, especially the instrumental version is an awesome song. People really need to get over their butthurt overdramatization of Sonic '06.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I have a theory on why we don't have many Sonic remixes(at least that we know of). I think Sega doesn't want them to remix songs. In the Mario and Sonic series, the Mario music is mostly remixed, while the Sonic side has very little remixes, and those are made by Sega. I guess they're is too stubborn to have their music remixed (with some exceptions like Generations). If I recall correctly, the Angel Island remix wasn't even meant for Brawl, it was something Jun Senoue made, and they used it because of Sonic's rushed inclusion.
I don't think SEGA would be that stubborn of a Company would they?

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I was not expecting Live & Learn to be the second song....I was expecting Sonic Heroes at the least but oh well.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Would have not used the Brawl version of Stickerbrush Symphony/Bramble Blast because it's easily the worst version of that song... Just use the original. Or Tropical Freeze's. Or do a new version that's better than Brawl's. It's kind of disappointing in that respect because the DKC2 version is probably my favorite song in gaming

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You know in Brawl I never really understood why Snake Eater and His World only got Instrumental versions instead of Vocal?

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
You know in Brawl I never really understood why Snake Eater and His World only got Instrumental versions instead of Vocal?
I believe His World had a cuss word but I don't remember. As for Snake Eater Idk never listened to it.

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
Could it just be Sakurai Trolling Sonic fans?
"Hey! Remember how great Sonic '06 was? Here's a song from THAT!"

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
Sonic 06 was a bad game, but it's music was really good. His World was a great theme.
It sure was! Dreams of an Absolution was good too! Sonic '06 had fantastic music! Too bad most people, even those WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED IT, automatically decide that EVERYTHING about the game was horrible.
For a lot of close-minded folks, even referencing that game is an insult to them.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Rooftop Run is just too good in a way.

:093:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Full disclosure: I'm not really a Sonic player. However, I felt this thread belonged in the Sonic forum rather than the overall 3DS forum.

From one Sonic fan to a whole bunch of others, I have to say, the song choice for his stage (which is also unimaginative) has me disappointed. For those unaware, the two songs are confirmed to be:

His World (Instrumental)
Sonic Heroes Theme

To clarify, I am not saying these are "bad songs". I'm saying, in my opinion, that they're bad choices. Firstly, "His World" is a reminder of quite possibly one of the worst games ever made. Secondly, of all the Crush 40 excellence in the Sonic series, "Sonic Heroes" is probably their most forgettable output. (And Sonic Heroes, likewise, is a rather forgettable game.)

But even more importantly, neither of these songs are representative of Sonic's portable games-- of which there are a lot, specifically on Nintendo consoles. Sakurai himself stated that the 3DS version's stages were going to be geared more toward portable games, while the Wii U version's stages will be influenced by home console games. So why do we get Green Hill Zone (again) with two home console songs?

The Sonic Rush series and Sonic Advance series both have good soundtracks to pick from. Sonic Chronicles had unique songs as well. And the Genesis era of games is what has all of the most memorable and immediately recognizable tunes-- why would they pick two songs from his post-Sega-consoles era if they weren't going to at least stick with what was made exclusively for Nintendo consoles? There are so many of those games to pick from.

What would you all rather see for Sonic's music choices? Is there anything you're hoping will show up in the Wii U version instead?

(Personally, I'd put a vote up for this one.)
I'm hoping for "I Am...All of Me" and "Sky Road Zone 2".

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
^That would be called "Dragon Dance" according to the OST.

Speaking of, Wii U version confirmed to have no new mixes of Sonic music. I'm going to be in a world of mad if we only get Stage 1s and vocals again.

Top Bottom