• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disable, Disable, Disable...(No, Not Another Double Disable Thread >_<)

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
So, we all know what Disable does. It stuns, and can be used to send the opponent away. But, which property of Disable seems to be the most important? Well, besides the one where they are caught on the ground in it that is. I want to look into a more practical or maybe even just a safer use of Disable. Don't get me wrong, I know for sure it isn't going to be some foolproof set up to get it off. Lets take a look at what this move can do.

1. Most useful and provides a significant advantage in positioning, is the stun animation it provides. The opponent is dazed and can't do anything but try to break out of it. Good even at low %, even better at high %.

2. Disable knockback is lackluster, should be used rarely IMO. I hear it can kill around 200~ish? I'm in Orlando now so I can't test due to the lack of a Cube.

3. Aerial Disabling is...decent at best. Your opponent will get sent away just as if you did a double Disable. Only works if they are in a tumbling animation methinks.

4. A different way of aerial Disabling, occurs when they are in a neutral position in the air. The opponent would start tumbling. Not sure if they get their jump back, but this could force them to use their recovery move. Otherwise, they would have to waste time trying to escape the tumble.

5. Using disable on an opponent using an aerial will knock them into a tumbling animation. This is where I think Mewtwo can shine. I REALLY want to see this tested to see if it can add to Mewtwo's defenses. Possibly even open them up to an attack.

Now, as long as Disable touches the opponent's frame(save for disjointed hitboxes, like Marth's sword :mad: ) it'll go off, correct? Now it's not exactly easy to chase your opponent down and hit them with Disable. That's why I believe that hitting an opponent trying to attack you with an aerial probably has more practical use than the others. This is what I want you guys to discuss. I have had success with it against those who prefer to bum rush me with NAirs and FAirs. I gave Ganon a hard time playing keep away with baby Shadow Balls and disabling his FAir. Please, look into it and tell me what you think. I know pretty much everybody here is no stranger to Disable, so anybody's input would be appreciated.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
*adds to disable guide thingy, a useless guide btw* *but it's totally cool*

This will probably be a really big surprise on Ganon, maybe Doc's fair, some of Falcon's moves, etc. obviously not marth

Reminds me of Counter (and it's also a down B!)

This'll be nice, but first we'll need a good way to... utilize this as an opportunity to deal damage. Does dtilt after a Disable'd aerial work?

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
the thing is... it comes out so slow.........................................................................................................................................

not only it comes out slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
it has a really bad delayyyyyyy making it near impossible to connect into anything

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Disable isn't THAT slow. Sure it's nothing compared to say... the shine, but hey it sure as hell is surprising when they're expecting you to go flying and they end up on the floor. I mean, I'm sure you'll be able to predict which move you'll be getting hit with a good amount of the time, so that'll help with landing it easier.

Following up is the tricky part, generally a quick D-Tilt is the ideal thing to do, maybe an instant DJC FAir could be slipped in. Tech-chasing is probably nigh impossible due to Disable's lag though. But pretty much the majority of the time your opponent won't be able to see it coming. The "bounce" that they suffer from should provide enough time for a punishing attack.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I sometimes use Aerial disable knockback for early edgeguards. From what I see, it works alright on fastfallers. I usually work it in after a DTilt.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
no more dtilt to disable pls =p

but as for lavagolem's application method. pls give it some testing and tell me how it goes.
i do worry about the start up lag and the hitbox.

the hit box isnt exactly big, though it reaches pretty decently far, you cant even do a retreating disable of anysort. if you wavedash backwards and attempt a shorthop disable, it pushes you right back down and kills any sort of elevation. considering that we are aiming at enemy fairs like gannons or what not. its pretty weird and hard to get your disable pulled off at the height you need it to be at while at the same time retaining the fluidity of your movement. you see the problem?

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
>_< How do you ever land DAir?

Back on topic, Airo, Mewtwo is pretty tall, so he won't be missing many aerial assaults due to height. It's pretty hard to SHFFL aerials over or underMewtwo's head. In the Mewtwo vs Ganon's FAir, unless he double jumps pretty close to you, Disable should catch his arm with good timing. If it were Sheik's FAir, it's near impossible to hit Sheik's tiny body with Disable @_@ As for movement fluidity, I see your point. I've found that if you Disable while sliding midwayish thorugh your wavedash, you'll keep going as long as you do NOT crouch before using Disable. I'm not sure if it's me or what but I think you can be carried farther if you use Disable at the right time. I've only done it while sliding forward, so I can't really say if you can WD back and Disable without stopping. Of course SHing the Disable will cut your movement, so I'd say SH Disable is out of the question.

Top Bottom