• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Din-ners Ready! [vid]

Luthien

Smash Ace
Terrible, horrible and abysmal.
Please.

The video wasn't genius. Big deal. But then, what were you expecting? This is a video feature a bunch of With Anybody FFA's (I think), and there's not much Zelda content (or smash content rather). However, it featured some pretty amusing n00b ****.

You won't be able to apply a lot (okay, pretty much any) of this videos content to a tourney match, but it can teach some valuable lessons. For example, sometimes you can punish n00bs with n00b tactics better than you can with advanced techniques. I could elaborate, but I won't.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Stop being so rude because the video wasn't a tourney final r something. Brawltastic made a video for you to enjoy, he wasn't trying to impress you or change the world. Don't go insult 48 hours of his work for no apparent reason, and with no evidence to support your statement. If you don't like it, shut up.

Facet

Smash Cadet
Luthien said:
The video wasn't genius. Big deal. But then, what were you expecting? This is a video feature a bunch of With Anybody FFA's (I think), and there's not much Zelda content (or smash content rather). However, it featured some pretty amusing n00b ****.

You won't be able to apply a lot (okay, pretty much any) of this videos content to a tourney match, but it can teach some valuable lessons. For example, sometimes you can punish n00bs with n00b tactics better than you can with advanced techniques. I could elaborate, but I won't.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Stop being so rude because the video wasn't a tourney final r something. Brawltastic made a video for you to enjoy, he wasn't trying to impress you or change the world. Don't go insult 48 hours of his work for no apparent reason, and with no evidence to support your statement. If you don't like it, shut up
Agreed.

I liked the Heel Spike --> Lightning Kick combo at the beginning... I didnt know that was possible, but then again I rarely use Dair. Of course, the trick is to apply that to a real fight against a competent opponent, which would require some fairly intense mind games.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I've already said this in the youtube comments but...

Camping the corner ftl.
Okay, seeing as how you brought it up, I may as well now. Let's go back to this:

Luthien said:
For example, sometimes you can punish n00bs with n00b tactics better than you can with advanced techniques.
Brawltastic's camping the corner is a prime example of this. I'll try to keep it short. Why camping the corner is good:

1) You're safe. Self explanitory, really.
2) Zelda's powerful techniques may start quickly, but they take a while regardless. While you're busy usmashing players 2 and 3, player 4 can just waltz up and fsmash you. This is bad.
3) Zelda has to space very carefully. This is what makes close-quarter-FFAs bad for Zelda. As a Zelda player you are generally required to focus all of your attention on one opponent while trying to space against them for a fair. However, if you're only focusing on one opponent, the other two can screw you up, accidentally (one is sent flying right into you/your opponent) or deliberately (they decide to go for you for some arbitrary reason). If you hit player 3 with the sweetspot and sourspot player 4, player 4 (or player 2 for that matter) can punish you.
4) Stale move negation. You use Din's, your other moves get recharged.

Why camping in the corner is bad:

1) People get pissed and decide to target you. [Not too big of an issue, considering they'd be targeting you in close quarters anyway.]
2) Din's Fire is actually pretty easy to avoid. [But the noobs don't know that.]
3) Stale move negation. [You won't be killing with Din's using this strategy, but that's okay, it's not Zelda's greatest KO move anyway. You should be camping, then moving in for the kill.]

So yeah, it's pretty easy to see how against noobs, Din's spam is actually a great option. It will get you next to nowhere with people who have talent, but this lesson isn't about them, is it? If you fight a noob, sometimes you'll find yourself killing them faster by stooping to their level. As long as your using noob tactics with the mind of an experienced player, you won't really be using a noob tactic anyway.

Facet

Smash Cadet
In other words, theres no such thing as a noob tactic. There are tactics that your opponent can stop, and ones he cant - and if he cant stop it, theres no reason to stop doing it. The fact that some other opponent might be able to stop it is in most cases irrelevent.

Btw, what is this about Zelda needing to focus on one opponent in FFAs? Her moves have such range and aoe that it is often trivial to blast every opponent at once, similar to how Ike can.

Luthien

Smash Ace
In other words, theres no such thing as a noob tactic. There are tactics that your opponent can stop, and ones he cant - and if he cant stop it, theres no reason to stop doing it. The fact that some other opponent might be able to stop it is in most cases irrelevent.
That's about it. Do what you can to win. You can practice using other tactics to counter the other opponents counter, and to find other solutions or tactics so you can beat THEM, but if you're focusing on just winning the battle your fighting at the moment, feel free to screw everything and do what works best.

Btw, what is this about Zelda needing to focus on one opponent in FFAs? Her moves have such range and aoe that it is often trivial to blast every opponent at once, similar to how Ike can.
Because Zelda doesn't blast her opponents away all at once. Sticking with the comparrison to Ike, Zelda can usmash and catch two opponents. However, due to the fact that it's a multihit attack, Zelda will be left open for a while.

I've been hit many times in FFAs when I usmash or fsmash and my third opponent just waits for me to take care of the other two guys and interrupts with a PK fire, dash attack, etc. And when that happens, sometimes Zelda doesn't get the strongest hit in to send the other two opponents away, delivering a pitiful amount of damage and usually resulting in Zelda getting punished. If Ike gets an fsmash in, the two opponents are gone. It's way less risky for Ike than Zelda.

Also, if you're going to stick to the Ike comparrison, you should consider some other [summarised] points.

1) Ike has WAY more range. He doesn't have to get so up close and personal. Not to mention he can hit way more people at once.
2) Ike is heavier, so if he DOES get hit, he isn't completly screwed.
3) Jab combo. Zelda's jab leaves her quite open in FFAs. Ike's does too, but not nearly as much. And again, it has a WAY larger hitbox.

I suppose you could say it's my fault for not using Zelda's single-hit tilts, but I believe that Zelda is WAY better off fighting 1v1 or focusing on two enemies at once. Having Zelda crammed in the middle of chaos is bad. One stray, flukey hit and Zeldas gone. Personally, I use hit & run, focused strategies, and they seem to work well. I could be wrong though. Feel free to point out some things I missed.

Facet

Smash Cadet
By saying that Zelda is good at tackling multiple foes simultaneously, I was by no means saying its good to be surrounded. Regardless of being light or heavy, being in the middle of the scrum is a bad place to be. Its much better to be on the edge of the engagement, pumping damage towards the middle. For this I think Zelda is very good, particularly with FSmash, Dash Attack, and Dins Fire. As a point of comparison, I would think that Zelda's FSmash is slightly better than Ike's for this purpose since it A) Activates faster B) Recovers Faster C) Lingers Longer D) Hits almost as hard and as far and E) People arent as paranoid about a Zelda as an Ike in FFA. Anyways, I wasnt trying to imply that Zelda = or > Ike in FFA, just that she has moves that have similarly useful FFA properties.

I see your point about USmash leaving Zelda open, but I guess I'd just recommend not using it in those situations. Trading damage is bad.

Luthien

Smash Ace
By saying that Zelda is good at tackling multiple foes simultaneously, I was by no means saying its good to be surrounded. Regardless of being light or heavy, being in the middle of the scrum is a bad place to be. Its much better to be on the edge of the engagement, pumping damage towards the middle. For this I think Zelda is very good, particularly with FSmash, Dash Attack, and Dins Fire. As a point of comparison, I would think that Zelda's FSmash is slightly better than Ike's for this purpose since it A) Activates faster B) Recovers Faster C) Lingers Longer D) Hits almost as hard and as far and E) People arent as paranoid about a Zelda as an Ike in FFA. Anyways, I wasnt trying to imply that Zelda = or > Ike in FFA, just that she has moves that have similarly useful FFA properties.

I see your point about USmash leaving Zelda open, but I guess I'd just recommend not using it in those situations. Trading damage is bad.
Ah, there we go. I missinterprited you post. I thought you meant that you didn't see how it was bad to be surrounded. Sorry, thanks for clearing that up. I agree with you.

Also, I'd like to clear up some things. When I say Zelda does better when focusing on one or two opponents at a time, I mean the same thing you do. When you focus on targeting all of your opponents, you inevitably (sp? long night...) wind up in the middle of them. Which, like you said, is a bad place to be. When focusing on one or two, you still eventually wind up in the skirmish, but on the border of it. Anyway, glad you cleared that up for me, I get what you mean now.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I also find that people hate campers.. if you spam everybody at once with your dins you will piss people off and they will all come after you.

If your dins is only hitting the same guy over and over again, and flys past everybody else the other players WILL notice. they will also probably laugh and let you keep hitting that guy if they know whats good for them in an FFA.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I've got a month left before I have to put a hiatus on the game for two years. I'll pass on that tyvm ^^

Beo

Smash Apprentice
you zelda players kill me, play a different character please...
Why? Can you not handle the epic Dins?

Before you say anything, I play Zelda, Bowser, Olimar, Snake and Zero suit.

Anyways, why would you even upload a video like this? The combo at the first opening was pretty awesome, but all the Dins hits were so nub I was able to do them the first time I loaded up Zelda.

Plus that Sonic you were "juggling" didn't even know what an Air Dodge was, the video was terrible.

edit; No respectable Bowser would ever VB from that high up anyways. To easy to dodge and punish.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Hey, Beo? GTFO. If you want to give advice, sure, whatever, that's coo'. But saying "why the hell would you do that" does diddly squat and pretty much tells me that you really don't know what to say, just want to say something.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
My whole point is that I can make a video like this and get some fan boys too?

Man, I should do that. The point is that anyone can do what you just did in that video, when nubs see that video and see all the people praising the video they'll think "Hey, I can play like that in Brawl too!"

And thus, nub Zeldas galore.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
AKA you.

Like I said, get out. No one has praised him to a full extent. Instead of being a selective reader, try reading everything, or at least skimming through everything. People who have praised him have made a name already in the Zelda realm, and you have yet to make a name for anything.

Luthien

Smash Ace
My whole point is that I can make a video like this and get some fan boys too?

Man, I should do that. The point is that anyone can do what you just did in that video, when nubs see that video and see all the people praising the video they'll think "Hey, I can play like that in Brawl too!"

And thus, nub Zeldas galore.
I'm sorry. Wait.

"Fanboys?"

I really don't think Brawltastic has gotten any fanboys with this video. If anything, this has given him nothing more than flames and insults. Really, I don't think that the video was terrible enough to worry this much about it. I agree with Tsuteto. You don't seem to be worried about his playing quality as much as you're worried about the fact that he's getting attention for it (or apparently, his lack there-of).

Why did Brawltastic even upload this video? Because - I get the inkling - it was fun. Remember that? That's what smash is supposed to be. If he's having fun and he's not getting in your way, please don't flame. Oh, and creating a thread in a video game forum does not qualify as getting in your way.

All of your problems with this video don't make any sense. Noob players will be noob without this video. If you want him to stop getting attention for it, just let the thread die. Every time you come in here to whine about what he did wrong, you bump the thread. <.< What exactly do you want brawltastic to do?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Honestly, I wouldn't exactly feel proud of myself making a noob-bashing video in which I utilized a camping technique. And yes, Zelda is a main/second of mine.

xNinjaOfChaosx

Smash Rookie
Nice combo at the beginning. It's too bad pulling that off against another person is near impossible. =/

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I didn't really like the video, no offence.

I don't want to try mean or anything, but think of it as constructive criticism.

Your attacks are VERY predictive, almost like a newbie Zelda player, show more variety.

You lack dodging capability; Ike was charging up his extremely slow U-Smash, yet you managed to get hit by it.

Top Bottom