• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difficulty with recovery

PSI Child

Smash Rookie
I'm aware that the doc tornado is probably the best set up for docs recovery but I can never seem to recover correctly with it. I have a lot of accidental suicides with doctor mario. Any tips on how to set up doctor marios recovery to make it almost near flawless every time?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm aware that the doc tornado is probably the best set up for docs recovery but I can never seem to recover correctly with it. I have a lot of accidental suicides with doctor mario. Any tips on how to set up doctor marios recovery to make it almost near flawless every time?
I think out my recoveries way in advance when I take hits. I give myself a half second to breathe, and then I take my right hand off the controller to more comfortably get ready to mash the B button. I'm not great at mashing, but I usually more treat Tornado recovery as a way of momentum stalling and gaining horizontal distance rather than betting on insane mashing for small vertical benefits.

Given the option, I usually aim to Tornado above edgeguard attempts, and from there I react to where my opponent is before aiming for the ledge.

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Dr Mario's recovery is not very good overall but you can do somethings to get back onto the stage easier.

-Down B Mashing
You just mash B and hold up like what A2ZOMG said
I think out my recoveries way in advance when I take hits. I give myself a half second to breathe, and then I take my right hand off the controller to more comfortably get ready to mash the B button. I'm not great at mashing, but I usually more treat Tornado recovery as a way of momentum stalling and gaining horizontal distance rather than betting on insane mashing for small vertical benefits.

Given the option, I usually aim to Tornado above edgeguard attempts, and from there I react to where my opponent is before aiming for the ledge.
-Saving double jump
This is one of those "easier said then done" things but if you just don't double jump for no reason you should be fine.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
If you are far away from the stage, Down B first because you need the double jump to regain horizontal momentum. Mash mash mash that B button because it gives you more distance. Only Double Jump --> Down B if someone tries to challenge your recovery and you'll intercept them with its amazing priority, oh and also if you are in range. Getting used to the distance that his full recovery is comes with time and the more and more you play him.

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
If you're near the wall, just wall jump, don't try to stall by doing the dr. tornado, the ending lag will pull you down.

Wall jumping REALLY helps for the Dr.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I did some experimentation with Doc's recovery (mainly on the 3DS version) and I noticed if he still has his double-jump, he carries most of his momentum into his Up-B. He can actually recover pretty close to the blast line so long as he has the double jump.

So here's my 2 cents on his recovery: Use the tornado for horizontal recovery and save that double jump until you're under or close to being under the stage. Unless you're fighting Shiek, then you're ****ed

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I usually don't downB until I get close to the stage, like right under the ledge, but a few good feet or so horizontally away from the stage. I also do it when an opponent tries to recklessly edgeguard me, getting them stage-spiked in the process, Or I DI up high enough from KB to stall myself to throw off my opponent's guessing when they have solid stage control. Never do it too low from the stage, especially when an opponent recovers deep, otherwise you're practically guaranteed to SD.

Top Bottom