• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences in Gamecube controllers?! Please help!

Blueon

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone my first post on smash boards. I am very curious about the different gamecube controllers. Is there any differences in the US, Japan, or the new Smash Bros Gamecube controller?! I heard there were differences in the bumpers or something and that the new smash controllers weren't as good as the old ones?! Im just really curious because I am wanting to buy a new gamecube controller. I am very interested in the White official Japan Gamecube controller. Well if anyone could help me out that would be great! Thanks a lot! :)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hi, welcome to the Light House portion of Smashboards! I've used both the US, JPN, and the new Smash controller (not the PDP one). From what I can tell, it's pretty much the same.

The white GC controller from Japan is great, plus it looks nice. So it's a good choice.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
There are some differences in the bumpers (the original GC controllers had a metal rod in the shoulder buttons that kept it on a track, but the Sm4sh and white controllers are missing the rod.) Also, there are no differences between Japanese, PAL, and NTSC controllers other than some Japan-exclusive controllers. In addition, some have said the newer controllers have less play in the analog sticks, but that might be because their old sticks have been used for the past 14 years.

Kiechi

Smash Rookie
Original GC controller is better. Bought both new the original GC controller in white and the white smash controller (both from Japan, as I live here for the time being) and the original one is much better. For some reason, the shoulder button over time seems to "stick" as if it's grinding against the plastic casing as it's pushed down (and it's starting to happen to my white OG Wii GC controller!) Either way, don't bother with the smash ones, try and stick to the original GC Controllers.

Top Bottom