• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

differences between pm and melee

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
i have been playing project m for months now and played melee for the first time in a while the other day and i wasn't that good. one thing i noticed is when i was dashing, i would hit the c stick and i wouldn't do a dash attack. also when i would up throw with sheik i couldn't jump right after and uair because there was lag after the throw. am i doing something wrong or are these differences between the games. also if you know any differences please list them.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You can't use c stick for a dash attack in melee, you can't reverse aerial rush, b reverse (you can b turnaround), you can't footstool, and there's frame added for momentum shifting (notably this makes your jumpsquat 1 frame longer changing your timing for wavedashing). I think there's something different about meteor canceling but I'm not positive.

Other than that everything is pretty much the same iirc. I know they use sheiks PAL dthrow in PM so I'm not sure if they changed uthrow as well but that doesn't have to do with the engine unless you were playing with input assist on in which case you can't buffer inputs in melee. There's probably some other slight changes to sheik which you can find in her PM character discussion thread.

Noodles n' stuff

Smash Rookie
Yes Melee and Pm are very different. Characters are more viable and Wave dashing and l-cancelling is easier as well ( not everyone has this opinion).

Noodles n' stuff

Smash Rookie
Yes Melee and Pm are very different. Characters are more viable and Wave dashing and l-cancelling is easier as well ( not everyone has this opinion).
so to upsmash out of dash i would have to hit and and up
it would be better to wave dash up smash

Y-L

Smash Champion
Wavedashing and L canceling are exactly the same it doesn't make sense to say they are easier. A longer jump squat doesn't make wavedashing easier but it does make it easier to short hop with characters like Fox. L canceling is the exact same as melee, the know difference is you get the visual cue when you got it.

so to upsmash out of dash i would have to hit and and up
Oh this is another thing I forgot. To do a usmash out of run/dash in melee you have to jump cancel it so you press up on the control stick and while you're in your jump squat frames you perform the usmash. For example with Fox I run then press up and cstick up at almost the same time.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm used to doing JC U-Smash with up on the Control Stick and A because that's how I did normal U-Smashes for the longest time (I'm also partial to doing that for JC'd DQ -> U-Smash/Grab with Ike in PM), but do whichever of the two feels better for you.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Just to add, not sure if it's just me, but I feel the gravity in PM is different. I feel slightly more floaty in PM than in Melee. I'll just say I don't feel the physics are 1:1 and for some people that makes a difference.

Last edited:

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Just to add, not sure if it's just me, but I feel the gravity in PM is different. I feel slightly more floaty in PM than in Melee. I'll just say I don't feel the physics are 1:1 and for some people that makes a difference.
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this, this may be something that can't be fixed due to the nature of the engine. I can be wrong though. All the speeds, frame data, etc. is the same iirc for the god tier characters.

EDIT: APESAUCE, we do not live too far from each other, lol.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, there are a lot of things in PM with buffer frames, but in Melee, I'm pretty sure there are only buffered inputs in shield with the C-Stick.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
and there's frame added for momentum shifting (notably this makes your jumpsquat 1 frame longer changing your timing for wavedashing).
The 1 frame physics delay doesn't alter jumpsquat lengths and it doesn't make wd timing any different (or most timings for that matter), it just means you start moving later. For example in pm with fox you still airdodge on frame 4 (same as melee), but the airdodge will move and land you on frame 5 as opposed to frame 4.

However pm checks for short hop/full jump 1 frame later than melee, so it's easier to sh in pm.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The 1 frame physics delay doesn't alter jumpsquat lengths and it doesn't make wd timing any different (or most timings for that matter), it just means you start moving later. For example in pm with fox you still airdodge on frame 4 (same as melee), but the airdodge will move and land you on frame 5 as opposed to frame 4.

However pm checks for short hop/full jump 1 frame later than melee, so it's easier to sh in pm.
Also, there are a lot of things in PM with buffer frames, but in Melee, I'm pretty sure there are only buffered inputs in shield with the C-Stick.
There are more inputs you can buffer in Melee too. First thing that comes to mind is that there's often pretty huge buffer window for dj out of hitstun (Not always though, sometimes there's no buffer at all.).

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
There are more inputs you can buffer in Melee too. First thing that comes to mind is that there's often pretty huge buffer window for dj out of hitstun (Not always though, sometimes there's no buffer at all.).
OK, I wasn't sure, so thanks for clarifying. I know there are buffer frames for grabbing in PM that aren't in Melee, though.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Yes, this. I played PM for the first time a few weeks back and I immediately felt the difference to Melee. I need to play it more before I can decide whether I like it or not but the physics definitely don't feel identical.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
does anyone know if shielding dropping properties in PM are the same as they are in Melee?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The sensitivity of the control stick is different, but the mechanic itself is not.

Dispelling misinformation posted earlier:
Wavedashing and L-canceling is not easier. Sheik's dthrow is not PAL, it is a PM creation that is neither PAL or NTSC and functions as a mixup with her new B-throw.
There are not more things that are bufferable in PM. All things that are bufferable in Melee are in PM, but no additional.
As someone else said, jumpsquats are not longer, but the frame when the game checks to see if you're still holding the jump input to determine whether you shorthop or fullhop is a frame later, making shorthopping easier. Although I have never heard of a player that has played Melee for a reasonable amount of time having trouble shorthopping in the first place, so I'm not sure why that would matter to most.

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
The sensitivity of the control stick is different, but the mechanic itself is not.

Dispelling misinformation posted earlier:
Wavedashing and L-canceling is not easier. Sheik's dthrow is not PAL, it is a PM creation that is neither PAL or NTSC and functions as a mixup with her new B-throw.
There are not more things that are bufferable in PM. All things that are bufferable in Melee are in PM, but no additional.
As someone else said, jumpsquats are not longer, but the frame when the game checks to see if you're still holding the jump input to determine whether you shorthop or fullhop is a frame later, making shorthopping easier. Although I have never heard of a player that has played Melee for a reasonable amount of time having trouble shorthopping in the first place, so I'm not sure why that would matter to most.
Ah actually I did forget to mention: I mess up short hops all the time with Fox in Melee. When I played PM for the first/second time ever I noticed I hardly missed a Fox short hop.

Top Bottom