• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between N64 and Wii Virtual Console Versions.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that when you unlock a new character and see the "Challenger Approaching" Warning sign on the Wii's Virtual Console the characters are silhouettes. This has been changed from the original N64 Version of the game where the characters are visible. I believe this was changed to better match Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl where the Challenger Approaching Warning Sign uses character silhouettes.

Super Smash Bros. (64)
(N64; NTSC; NA USA)
Released: April 26, 1999

Super Smash Bros.
(Wii VC; NTSC; NA USA)
Released: December 21, 2009

There are usually a few subtle differences from the original games with virtual console titles. They aren't just 1:1 with the original game which shows that Nintendo took the time to enhance these games for modern use. I'm not saying they're perfect, but it goes to show that Nintendo isn't just placing your average run of the mill Super Smash Bros. rom on their virtual console library.

This makes me wonder if there are any more differences between the original Super Smash Bros. and the virtual console version.
Please comment if you know of any. :)

Last edited:

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Main difference is that the N64 is a god tier console and the Wii was for spoiled young white children.

Other wicked consoles are the game boy colour, SNES, and maybe the PS3 for Netflix reasons.

Hope this helps, OP. No need to credit me for my input

This makes me wonder if there are any more differences between the original Super Smash Bros. and the virtual console version.
Please comment if you know of any. :)

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
My n64 console does the black so its many later editions of the game
Oh, Maybe there are different versions of Super Smash Bros. 64.

Are you using an emulator?
if not What does it say on the back of the cartridge? Like a date, cereal number, etc.
Is there anything on the front of the cartridge indicating that it's a later or different version of the game?
i.e. Not for Resale, Players Choice, E for everyone (fuzzy E), E for Everyone (solid black E), No E for everyone symbol, etc.

which of these cartridge does yours most closely resemble:

What does it say and the back of the cartridge right here?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I wish a YouTube contributor would do a concise video detailing all the differences between the cartridge and Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. (N64).

One thing I like about the VC version is the easy way that you can backup and transfer SSB64 save files. That makes unlocking all the characters and stages as simple as copying them off an SD card. This can come in handy if your Wii ever stops working and you need to get another one. The downside of the cartridge version of Smash 64 is that if your battery dies you lose everything including your stats.

Top Bottom