• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences between Final Destinations

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
So I have been playing lots of For Glory as Captain Falcon. While doing this, I realized that there are two types of Final Destinations. The kinds without the wall extending all the way to the bottom (Wario Ware, Pac-Man's stage, Golden Plains, ect) and the original type of FD. While this doesn't seem like a big deal at first, I realized (as Captain Falcon, a character who can wall jump) that the FD with the extending walls offers an advantage to characters who can wall jump. For example, say Bowser is near the bottom of the wall. He will die because he just doesn't have the ability to recover well. However, Shiek jump, wall jump, then use her recovery, safely getting on the ledge. This may not be a problem, and could be that it boils down to certain character's recoveries being good or bad. Do you think that in a tourney there should be two choices of FD or just one choice?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's actually 5 versions. I'll give an example in each category.

-Normal FD (only one in this category, actually) - Very long base
-Battlefield - Medium length base
-Brinstar - Short length base
-3D Land - Short-Flat base, with straight diagonal pieces at the side
-Wily Castle - Infinite base

Last edited:

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Arena Ferox's Omega is also unique. Allowing Omegas as counterpicks if FD wasn't banned is the way to go, in my opinion.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I think there should be another category of omegas which are not lumped with final destination that have the walls the go all the way down. I think dreamland and wily. the wall clinging actually makes a huge difference as a diddy player.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
There's actually 5 versions. I'll give an example in each category.

-Normal FD (only one in this category, actually) - Very long base
-Battlefield - Medium length base
-Brinstar - Short length base
-3D Land - Short-Flat base, with straight diagonal pieces at the side
-Wily Castle - Infinite base
Thank you for this, I didn't realize all of this... :)
I think there should be another category of omegas which are not lumped with final destination that have the walls the go all the way down. I think dreamland and wily. the wall clinging actually makes a huge difference as a diddy player.
Yes, this is what I am getting at. Wall clinging/jumping is a important element to some characters, and gives them an advantage...

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
There is one more unique Final Destination. Find Mii has a slightly curved extended base that is narrower at the bottom.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I do not believe the different types of Omega stages should be separated. To separate them would be to introduce several copies of Final Destination into the stage list, which gives an unfair stage selection advantage to characters that perform well there.

There is nothing stopping you from choosing a walled Omega for your counterpick, except for DSR if you already won on a non-walled Omega or Final Destination itself. However, if this is really such a concern, then you can simply strike Final Destination/Omegas until it's your turn to counterpick. (Also, if DSR is in effect like this, then that means you already won on a non-walled Omega, which somewhat undermines the argument that wall jumps are so important.)

If different Omega structures are allowed, then a character who plays poorly on Final Destination must burn multiple stage strikes on the various forms, and depending on the total number of stages it's possible that a player may not even be allotted enough strikes to cover them all. If this is the case, then it would be completely impossible to prevent an Omega counterpick, which is counter to the entire point of the stage striking process.

I see nothing wrong with counterpicking to an Omega stage, but trying to separate them into categories for stage selection leads to too many issues in my mind.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
I do not believe the different types of Omega stages should be separated. To separate them would be to introduce several copies of Final Destination into the stage list, which gives an unfair stage selection advantage to characters that perform well there.

There is nothing stopping you from choosing a walled Omega for your counterpick, except for DSR if you already won on a non-walled Omega or Final Destination itself. However, if this is really such a concern, then you can simply strike Final Destination/Omegas until it's your turn to counterpick. (Also, if DSR is in effect like this, then that means you already won on a non-walled Omega, which somewhat undermines the argument that wall jumps are so important.)

If different Omega structures are allowed, then a character who plays poorly on Final Destination must burn multiple stage strikes on the various forms, and depending on the total number of stages it's possible that a player may not even be allotted enough strikes to cover them all. If this is the case, then it would be completely impossible to prevent an Omega counterpick, which is counter to the entire point of the stage striking process.

I see nothing wrong with counterpicking to an Omega stage, but trying to separate them into categories for stage selection leads to too many issues in my mind.
Very well put. I tend to agree. I still think that the idea of each FD is the same, and that a wall jump in the grand scheme of things isn't big enough to create a whole new stage. Thanks for the input. :)

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
which would really shift the metagame towards people who like Fd and screw those who don't.

the draw of the omega forms isn't the presence of walls or whatnot. it's that the damn thing is flat and qwith no platforms; wasting bans for what effectively amounts to one stage is a waste.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I think it should be taken into consideration to offer atleast the different archetypes of Omega as counterpick-able. I do a lot of single player training in Arena Ferox, I've come to love the stage Omega and non. Perhaps there can be a limit placed on the ability to pick Omegas, though. Or maybe just let gentleman's rule decide if the players agree on Omegas or not, and leave it to the players themselves.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would say leave in one Omega with the walls, and leave out all others, just using Final Destination for that (unless the players agree to use a specific one). Walls make a significant difference, the other small details may not make enough difference to warrant inclusion.

The current legal stagelist already favors certain playstyles, as discussed plenty elsewhere, so I wouldn't worry about favoritism in that regard. But the walls should warrant a unique stage slot.

Top Bottom