• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences Between Colors?

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
What if in SSB4 there is a reason to use alternate colors for more reasons then looks...

In Super Mario Sluggers for character with multiple colors such as Yoshi or Toad there were slgiht differences for each color(such as batting power, pitching power, speed, etc

So maybe Black/white Mario can have a better jump as that color is from the arcade game when he was jumpman or maybe the fie flower color scheme has increase power in fire based moves or maybe the Mario in Wario clothes is a tad bit slower then the rest.(the luigi colors would be the second best jumper due to Luigi jumper high.)

The differences wouldn't be much but could be interesting to have included.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What if in SSB4 there is a reason to use alternate colors for more reasons then looks...

In Super Mario Sluggers for character with multiple colors such as Yoshi or Toad there were slgiht differences for each color(such as batting power, pitching power, speed, etc

So maybe Black/white Mario can have a better jump as that color is from the arcade game when he was jumpman or maybe the fie flower color scheme has increase power in fire based moves or maybe the Mario in Wario clothes is a tad bit slower then the rest.(the luigi colors would be the second best jumper due to Luigi jumper high.)

The differences wouldn't be much but could be interesting to have included.
Alternate colors exist to facilitate mirror matches. Having the individual colors actually change something makes it impossible for 4 people play the same character and get the same moves. Plus, it would wreak havoc on Team vs. It's a bad idea.

That said, implementation of an EX-mode system, where individual characters had 2 separate movesets to chose from, would be cool.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Palette swaps are meant to be aesthetic, considering that two players usually can't use the exact same color in free-for-alls.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As well, they serve as a way to pay respect to various color schemes within the franchise such as Mario`s fire power color swap, Zelda and her OoT color scheme, and Meta Knights Galactic Knight color scheme. To me, it shows Sakurai does his homework for each and every character.

D

Deleted member

Meta Knight never had a Galacta Knight color.
Galacta Knight didn't even exist until after Brawl, and Meta Knight's pink color more resembles Kirby than anything else.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I like this idea, a lot, but on lots of characters you'd be working of nothing. Pikachu has more electric power when he's wearing a hat? I think not. Nice concept but virtually impossible.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On a note that would be completely independent of the likelihood of this happening, can you imagine what the tier list would look like for the game? :laugh:

On a more serious note, it probably won't happen. It's meant to be aesthetic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, it was kind of weird how palette swapped characters in super sluggers effected their stats

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Meta Knight never had a Galacta Knight color.
Galacta Knight didn't even exist until after Brawl, and Meta Knight's pink color more resembles Kirby than anything else.
Ah ok. I was referring to his pink palette swap. I wasn't aware of that. My bad I guess that Dark Link or all of Samus' palette swaps would have explained my stance better.

:phone:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Daisy (Peach), Waluigi (Luigi), Wario (Mario), Fire Mario/Luigi, classic Link (Toon Link), Blood Falcon (Captain Falcon) are some good examples as well.

And yellow Kirby, of course.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would not like this at all, might I be forced to some stupid Falcon color when my precious Pink Falcon would be banned because of too much manliness? Hell naw, I don't want to play [lots of expletives here] white or cyan Marth just because they're better. . . I don't want to stop using Gangsta Bowser because one of his other colors would be better, have better fire breath, less easy to CG etc. Leave skin to aesthetics.
HOWEVER, that does not mean I do not support minor alterations - that would be pretty cool - to characters, but through another medium altogether, I don't want chumptacularness soiling my favorite colors.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
would make characters more difficult to balance and like some said, color swaps are meant to be aesthetic, to differentiate the same character when used by two players.

wouldn't mind if some costumes were actually changing the character to another one (keeping the exact same moveset, for obvious reasons), including name and voice change during gameplay. Dr. Mario could be a Mario alt, Peach could have Daisy, Bowser would have Dry Bowser, Meta Knight with Galacta Knight alt, Marth with Leaf and/or Celice alts, evil counterparts (Dark Link, Blood Falcon, ...), and so on...

aesthetical changes? yes
gameplay changes? no

jigglover

Smash Lord
This is very good, isn't it essentially just adding in a quick (semi)clone? Like dry bowser on bowser (he is by far my most wanted alt) but he would just be top tier, Bowser's style depends on strong but slow and heavy, dry bowser would be strong, light and faster than bowser, the only way I can see it working is if dry bowser loses some of bowser's original strength.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
This is very good, isn't it essentially just adding in a quick (semi)clone? Like dry bowser on bowser (he is by far my most wanted alt) but he would just be top tier, Bowser's style depends on strong but slow and heavy, dry bowser would be strong, light and faster than bowser, the only way I can see it working is if dry bowser loses some of bowser's original strength.
You're talking about a completely new character. Frostwraith wanted colors that represent a new character, but with the gameplay still intact.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I just read his comment again...:embarrass:
Your idea with a lighter and weaker Bowser in the form of Dry Bowser is still good though. I'd definitely like to see that.

Maybe a slight difference in the moveset would make it work...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Your idea with a lighter and weaker Bowser in the form of Dry Bowser is still good though. I'd definitely like to see that.

Maybe a slight difference in the moveset would make it work...
lighter and weaker Bowser would work best for Jr. along with tweaks on his special moves, perhaps including the paintbrush (or Shadow Mario himself), different Final Smash (could be a Clown Car), and overall moves based on NSMB boss battles.

it's like I said, yes, overly similar characters could be alternatives to the main character without deviating from gameplay.

technically speaking, characters like Dry Bowser, Dr. Mario or James McCloud have body structures so similar they could share the animation data from their default counterparts.

there are many other characters that fit this bill: Ninten, Dark Pit or Blood Falcon. these are essentially color swaps of characters (and you know whom), but could recieve the treatment of having different voices. others like Daisy could have altered graphic effects (in Daisy's case, pink hearts replaced by orange or blue flowers, for example, along with different voice clips).

this would be a clever way to include more characters without taking spots for more characters with different body structures, resulting necessarily vastly different movesets. it would be a viable solution for those who don't favor clones, but wouldn't take the spotlight from these characters.

of course, these costume changes to include characters shouldn't have any effect on the moveset, for balance's sake. and most of all, it's nothing that hasn't been done before in gaming.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've had this idea before, and I'm all for it. It would add tons of variety and strategy to the game. Even if it only affects a few characters, it would be worth it.

And semi on-topic, give up on this game being balanced right now. If you're poo pooing this idea because you think it's going to make it harder to be competitive, save yourself the years of frustration and go find a capcom game that suits your liking.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of Dry Bowser, I really actually like how the harder battle against bowser, usually having to be unlocked in some way, bowser appears as dry bowser in the recent new super mario bros series
Dry Bowser needs to be in this game

Top Bottom