• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difference between the original GC controller and the New WiiU Smash one?

lead_magnet

Smash Rookie
Looking to get into competitive Melee and I'm currently using a dreadful GameStop controller. I looked on Amazon and say that they have both the Original GC controllers and the new ones that are for the SSB4 WiiU launch. Is there any real difference in these two besides the Logo on the SSB4 WiiU launch ones? Are they both Tournament legal?

Thanks!

lead_magnet

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
they are both tournament legal

they both have different feels to them though

its the same controller the differences are extremely small

but the Wii U one has stiffer L and R ... I dislike it ...its worse for wavedashing/wavelanding in my opinion

the rest of the buttons feel crisper though

I would try to hold them both first

IncomingGhost

Smash Cadet
they are both tournament legal

they both have different feels to them though

its the same controller the differences are extremely small

but the Wii U one has stiffer L and R ... I dislike it ...its worse for wavedashing/wavelanding in my opinion

the rest of the buttons feel crisper though

I would try to hold them both first
I don't have any preference, just that I wish the Z button was easier to press on the newer one :[

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The white Nintendo controllers and the Sm4sh controllers both have the metal rods taken out of their shoulder buttons which some people dislike because it occasionally sticks whenever you press it down. Also, the white and Sm4sh controllers both have longer cords than the originals, but they are both approximately the same build quality (as far as we can tell at this point; we'll see over the next 14 years).

lead_magnet

Smash Rookie
So it really just comes down to personal preference, huh. I'll check them both out then. If I do wind up liking the white GC one or the WiiU one should I just get the WiiU one as Spak said they're basically the same? I do like the original purple/silver one as that's the one I said with my original GameCube. I'll just try them both out though. I can't wavedash in succession (I can do it once but not right after another) but I hope to learn to as it's fairly essential for competitive Melee.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
I just started testing out a smash 4 controller a couple weeks ago. It seems to work quite well. I can do shield drops, wave dashing, etc with it. The only problems I have found with it are the Z button is hard to press and it feels overall a little strange, but that'll happen with any new controller. I've played in a couple of tournaments with it and it seems to be perfectly fine.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
As you haven't developed much tech skill, i doubt you would notice the difference.

My Opinion: The originals feel more fluid in their motion in regards to the grey analog/control stick and the yellow c-stick. This makes dash dancing much easier. Also the jump buttons feel less stiff, making the short hop vs full hop input less difficult.

I bought a new smash edition controller and decided to take the faceplate off of it and put it on an original controller.

Beware, not all the "Original GC" controllers sold on amazon or online are actually the original gc controller. I have only bought mine used and in person so i can do button checks (making sure everything works and is worth buying), and so i can ascertain the contoller's originality.

Last edited:

lead_magnet

Smash Rookie
As you haven't developed much tech skill, i doubt you would notice the difference.

My Opinion: The originals feel more fluid in their motion in regards to the grey analog/control stick and the yellow c-stick. This makes dash dancing much easier. Also the jump buttons feel less stiff, making the short hop vs full hop input less difficult.

I bought a new smash edition controller and decided to take the faceplate off of it and put it on an original controller.

Beware, not all the "Original GC" controllers sold on amazon or online are actually the original gc controller. I have only bought mine used and in person so i can do button checks (making sure everything works and is worth buying), and so i can ascertain the contoller's originality.
Yeah, I've been working on getting better with technical stuff though. I can *sorta* wave dash around with Marth. If I don't just order one there's a near-by Game-Stop (like 15 miles) that just might have a official Nintendo one (I've been using their 3rd party one, it's fairly bad). Worst case scenario I'll just go to a shop like 40 miles away that I can nearly guarantee will have one of the original used ones.

Thanks!

StokeTheForge

Smash Cadet
On this topic, my controller of choice is a Madcatz

[Now that you've finished screaming]
controller - not the miniature one, but the admittedly sh*tty one that breaks over and over again in different ways.
I use it for its crisp movement system, but it's faulty with the buttons, and I'm convinced that while it feels great to me, it doesn't give me an edge.
Is this tournament legal?

I remember my days with the Gamestop pad... (cold sweat)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
On this topic, my controller of choice is a Madcatz

[Now that you've finished screaming]
controller - not the miniature one, but the admittedly sh*tty one that breaks over and over again in different ways.
I use it for its crisp movement system, but it's faulty with the buttons, and I'm convinced that while it feels great to me, it doesn't give me an edge.
Is this tournament legal?

I remember my days with the Gamestop pad... (cold sweat)
As much as I would recommend NOT using third-party controllers, I think it's fine (unless it has a Turbo or some other additional features that weren't on the original; in that case I'm not sure).

StokeTheForge

Smash Cadet
Yeah, there's no turbo. There's a funky "m" button which is in a mirrored position to the "z" button, but it doesn't work half the time I press it (and I never do, there's no point). It was originally designed for mapping other buttons to it,
should pressing the original button be deemed... too ... difficult(?)
Thanks for your help.

Massive

Smash Champion
You can use any controller you want, seriously.

There is currently no third party controller on the market that would give anyone a noticeable advantage over the gamecube controller.

Bonus:
if you get good with your non-standard controller, you will be something of a novelty and probably get some fans.

Blarg

Smash Rookie
I have two of the new white ones with the Smash logo. The buttons feel stiffer than my old controllers. Gonna try to find a new "old" production one, but they haven't made them for years have they?

Edit: Looks like they I forgot about those white ones without the Smash logo, imported from Japan. I just bought one.

Last edited:

StokeTheForge

Smash Cadet
Bonus: if you get good with your non-standard controller, you will be something of a novelty and probably get some fans.
Of course, that would be assuming that I'm competent at this game.

I kid, and thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
I have two of the new white ones with the Smash logo. The buttons feel stiffer than my old controllers. Gonna try to find a new "old" production one, but they haven't made them for years have they?

Edit: Looks like they I forgot about those white ones without the Smash logo, imported from Japan. I just bought one.

The relatively recent logo-less white controllers have been reported to be the same as the newest smash logo controllers. Check into this further by research outside of smashboards and by taking apart the controllers and comparing them.

DeadBeef

Smash Rookie
I have been using a the stock white Japanese controller with the smash logo for melee, i have not had any trouble with the controller with wavedashing. my only complaint is that you have to apply more pressure on the triggers than a original controller. so what i have done last week is removed the rumble pack, replaced the analog stick with a ps4 stick, and the c stick with a wii numchuck stick, and i switched out the back plate and triggers with a original black game cube controller.
I like every think about the stock controller but it was hard to get use to the new pressure after using a original controller for 10+ years. The ps4 stick also for some reason makes it easier to hit perfect wave dash.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I just started testing out a smash 4 controller a couple weeks ago. It seems to work quite well. I can do shield drops, wave dashing, etc with it. The only problems I have found with it are the Z button is hard to press and it feels overall a little strange, but that'll happen with any new controller. I've played in a couple of tournaments with it and it seems to be perfectly fine.
It seems like there is significantly for friction with the control stick against the octagon gate, is this part of what you were saying?

Last edited:

Always

Smash Rookie
i still have 2 gamecube controllers that are basically perfect except the left joystick is peeling off on both, should i invest in fixing them or just try to find a new one?

faroIN

Smash Rookie
You can get new covers for the sticks or just replace the stick itself by swapping it with another controller. If you only have one, ask some friends if they have ****ty controllers with decent sticks that you can swap with.

Top Bottom