• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Difference between 3DS and 3DSXL

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Heyo fellow Smashers. I got my hands on 4 demo codes which I used two for myself (also, I don't have any so don't ask) and using these two codes I played Sm4sh on both 3DS and 3DSXL. I don't have a 2DS since the money for it went towards a capture card. While playing on two different console types I notice my play style being affected depending on the 3DS I used sometimes. Since I get asked what are the differences in playing, I'll just put in what I mostly feel when I play on these consoles.

One more thing, I've played at least 200-300 matches on the 3DSXL. And 100-200 on the 3DS.

Similar:
- 3D Effect is great on both.
- No performance issues on both.
- Everything is clear to see.
- Nothing wrong with seeing characters, items, etc.

3DS:
-
Easier to tell when the L and R buttons are pressed (helps with timing, dash canceling with shield).
- Easier to reach buttons with big hands and can help with combos.
- Small hands are able to move around as quick and efficiently.
- Feels easier to break the circle pad through agressiveness (but according from how aggressive people play on my console, seems fine).

3DS XL:
- Much easier to see characters if you have bad eyes.
- Feels comfortable in hands.
- Sometimes hard to tell if you pressed L and R (I don't want to be pushing them too hard, and I feel that with extremely light clicks just like the 3DS, it doesn't get recognized as much).
- Big hands will adore this as well.

EDIT (3:38 PM EST): I just came back to read the posts. I want to state that I'm comparing the two systems on how they feel on Smash. I am completely aware that the Start and Select buttons are different!
Thanks for those that reminded!

That's pretty much all I've felt, if I ever feel that something is different again. I'll come back to editing this since I get asked about this so often.

Happy Smashing!

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I want to add to this by saying that even with an XL some stages zoom out and make the characters pretty hard to see. Not so much "hard" to see but it really irritates me how zoomed out it gets. I can't imagine that with a 3DS.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that some other advantages a 3ds xl has over a normal one is that the start, select and home buttons aren't soft keys anymore (which broke super easy) and the xl has a longer battery life.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Great comparison, I'm wondering if anyone has tried with those 3DS cases that provide an extra stick or buttons.

I'm also curious to see if the "New" 3DS with extra ZL, ZR, and C-Stick will take off as it will probably come out after the Wii U version.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Don't forget that some other advantages a 3ds xl has over a normal one is that the start, select and home buttons aren't soft keys anymore (which broke super easy) and the xl has a longer battery life.
My HOME and Start buttons have indents in them. :p

Top Bottom