• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy vs Lucas

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
I've been playing Lucas for a while now and haven't encountered many Diddy's in tournament. Going through various scenarios in my head it seems like Diddy has a good advantage with Bananas and higher priority aerials / range. Combined with a better CC (Smashes, Dtilt, Grab), it's hard for Lucas to get combos started. Not to mention offstage ledge guards are in favor of Diddy with bananas and peanuts plus drop down aerials to punish tether. I've seen a lot of Pink Fresh vs Boss/Seagull in 3.02 but this doesn't really give me an accurate account of the MU. Not to mention the changes in 3.5 to both characters.

So what do the Diddy mains feel about this MU?

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I sometimes struggle with this MU. Lucas' pressure consists of a series of floaty SH'd aerials, which means he's not on the ground on the lot which makes it difficult to alleviate pressure using bananas. It's hard to keep him out for the same reason it's hard to keep Fox or CF out--Diddy's bananas always run into trouble against characters with fast, high priority Nair approaches. If you try to stop their approaches with a banana, it will often either lose to Nair or miss, neither of which works in our favor. Lucas seems to have a harder time killing now, but Diddy is still nearly perfect combo weight so I don't think Lucas exactly struggles to get kills.

Diddy does have a few things going for him though. His nair is also good and a viable option to compete with Lucas' nair. Diddy's edgeguarding is also helped a bit because his banana offers some leniency on punishing Lucas when he recovers to the stage instead of the ledge. Lucas isn't terribly hard to tech chase, and is also a good combo weight.

I'd probably put the MU around 50:50, but I think certain players (myself included) may struggle. If you're bad against Fox, then it's likely you'll be bad against Lucas too, because their pressure honestly feels pretty similar.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
How should Diddy work at keeping Lucas at bay? It seems that Lucas can immediately be in Diddy's face and PKF can be hard to deal with since only Ftilt / Fair / thrown banana seems to negate PKF and shield allows Lucas to run in and begin his pressure. Peanuts can do well, but they're pretty laggy now and not as good for camping.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
This is my most played matchup. You can't CC his Dair. You can CC everything else. Shield and grab him if he moves in front. DA his recovery. Wall him.

How should Diddy work at keeping Lucas at bay? It seems that Lucas can immediately be in Diddy's face and PKF can be hard to deal with since only Ftilt / Fair / thrown banana seems to negate PKF and shield allows Lucas to run in and begin his pressure. Peanuts can do well, but they're pretty laggy now and not as good for camping.
Just powershield PKF.

:018:

Last edited:
Top Bottom