• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy, Spike Master Flex

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
I think there has been a lot of general acceptance that Diddy has a great combo game, but not much to speak of as far as K.O.s.

As a Diddy Mainer, I'm trying to find a reliable way to K.O. So far, there are two major ways that this is possible.

1. Banana Man says: Eat yo' Potassium!
Seriously, who has not figured out how to rock the bananas? This is by far the most essential move in Diddy's arsenal. While they only do 4-5% damage, and slipping on them does no damage, it is obvious these are the main source of combos for Diddy. I consistently rack my opponents up 70-90% without being touched. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that because Diddy has no real K.O. potential, it is important to get the opponent (especially with the longer life span in brawl) upwards of 150%, because if they're fast enough, you won't be able to charge your smash attacks. Most opponents will die around 150% from a ftilt, which happens to be faster than the fsmash. Also keep in mind his fair has great K.O. potential (compared to his moves), and should not be forgotten.

2. Bump, Set, Spike! (Lame)
Has anyone else noticed Diddy's amazing spike potential? Yes! I've seen many people bring this up, so let me point it out again! There are four important spikes to master.

A) The footstool jump. Not all characters can do this, and it is an extremely tricky one to maneuver. You have to literally be touching their head before you press Y, but it actually can give you a second in-air jump. It seems as though you have to time it like with Jigglypuff's down-b in melee. You have to be touching their head. When you perform this effectively, it stuns the opponent for a second or so, sending them cartwheeling down. If you are close to or under the platform, it usually is enough to keep them from getting back up. There is not much room for combo with this one yet, though. (Not from what I can tell, anyone?)

B) The Hump Air. Again, this is hard to time. In order to latch your opponent you have to catch them before your backflip animation is over. If you CAN catch them in air (I can probably do it 10% of the time) you can ride with them down pretty far, depending on their damage, and their struggle to get out. Once you think you're far enough, tap Y and you're home free. Not only do you get an amazing extra jump that sends you rocketing into the air WITHOUT using your rockets, but you send them plummeting to their doom as well!

C) The Rocket Spike. Many of you have already found the Rockets to be quite useful in a spike. Just time it so you are on the upper half of their body, and they are sent firing downwards. While it is easy to time, it is also easy for the opponent to recover, so be warned! Lameasmike has an interesting thread out about a combo he's fiddling with. I'm going to give that a shot.

D) Diddy's Potential Meteor Spike. Not all character's dair have spike potential (wario for example). The important thing about Diddy's is it is fast and almost out of no where when used efficiently. At about 40-80% it is pretty much an auto kill for Diddy, and because Diddy has such great recovery, I suggest going off the stage and trying it whenever possible. Don't ever be worried about missing or getting hit away, because Diddy can almost surely get back up. I haven't checked the priority with many character's moves, but I do know it can be very ineffective if the opponent can time his/her air dodges properly. Also, many up-Bs can go through it, so watch out for that.

If anyone has any more ideas about spikes I'd love to hear them, but it is important to note something here. Diddy's ground game is fully combo, Diddy's air game is where his K.O.s are REALLY at.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Combined with his amazing recovery diddy has one of the best spike-games I've seen. I'm not sure if any other characters have 3 exclusive spikes as he does. So you're correct in saying his on ground and in air game is for racking up the serious damage (aside from a well timed fsmash) and then off the stage is where his monkeying around makes the kills lol
Also throwing his bananas and using the popgun to thwart a recovering opponent could result in a kill

Curse marke Sasuke

Smash Rookie
I love Diddy's dair, but I have trouble timing it as well as the hump spike.
Seems like you pretty much have it covered.

Samigi

Smash Cadet
You're forgetting about his fair. I tend to use this mainly as my KO move. It can be easily set up with his upsmash and or hump. It sends the person flying too...

Top Bottom