• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy MU.

EarthBound18

Smash Cadet
If this should be posted elsewhere feel free to move it.

I have a lot of trouble againts Diddy Kong. Diddy has so much mobility that I can hardly even catch him, then I get combod to death. I was trying the Nair d tilt flame thrower neutral game but that didn't seen to work at all, I get caught in the banana a lot screwing me up. Any feedback would be great on how to do better at this match up

*posted this on mobile late at night so excuse the bad wording.

Last edited:

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Z catching the banana is really good against Diddy, since one of his best options in neutral is the banana. On top of that, it also gives you another option in neutral. You can counter Monkey Flip with Flare Blitz usually on reaction from a distance, or shield/rock smash if you think he's going to kick you. Remember fair has a larger range than it looks, and the sweetspot is on the outside of the slash effect. Up smash invincibility should work well against diddy's that try to fair at you because it hits on frame 6 against aerial opponents and Zard's wings have invincibility at all times. Jabbing the monkey flip command grab might work, but I haven't tested it. Jab in general is pretty fast.

Sorry that my advice is mostly general and sorta all over the place. I'm just typing the thoughts as they come into my head.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
This MU is a real pain. Getting hit by the banana spells easy combos and kills for just about every character and avoiding it with Zard is not very straightforward because it really limits what we can do in neutral. Spacing with aerials is very tricky because if you whiff Diddy can just toss the banana at you as you land and then get a free grab. This means you have to be really careful and not space with aerials if he has a banana. Stay on the ground and shield it until he's banana-less and then space him out with aerials and flamethrower.

If they like to go for monkey flip kick 50/50s a lot there are a couple things we can do. We can try to read it with Flamethrower and we can try to hit him out of it with anything from Flare Blitz and smash attacks on really good reads to Dtilt/Jabs on reaction. You can also run away and try to pivot grab/Ftilt when he lands behind you if you read a Flip Kick.

We have a harder time than most dealing with Diddy's Flip Kick mobility options because our aerials are slow but all it really takes is a single solid Fair at mid percent to set up a nice edge guard situation. Basically try to confront high Flip Kicks with reads, not on reaction.

It's a very hard MU.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm actually going to make an official thread for the next round of discussion.

I'll merge these threads when that happens. :D

Top Bottom