• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Video Critique/Advice Thread

Conti

Smash Ace
Ok So the other Diddy Video thread seemed more towards actual top-level/good gameplay archive and metagame videos. This thread is designed with the sole purpose of putting up videos where you need advice/information about what you are doing/how to improve/ect,ect. Give input on other people's matches and put up matches of your own. Whatever works to help eachother improve.

To start off here's my post ;P

===================================

I need Halp -.- Got 5th/36 at my local in singles -.- Lost to my crewmates that are both very solid and I rarely beat, Top4 was 1st MVG WS Boss, 2nd OcS James,3rd Blue (from rushhoursmash plays with keitaro and false alot),4th OcS Vex.
I'm struggling really hard lately to get used to 1.06 [i feel like im overwhelming myself and just not fluent at all yet, and just idk, i blew in tournament, tbh i got DESTROYED in my only singles games on stream, And i wasn't really nerves, it was just, Me getting completely outplayed and being really bad]
I seemed to of done better in 2v2s then singles tbh.
My decision making/option select is really bad and i seem to keep being auto-pilot and just being super dumb. I pretty much know alot of what i did wrong, but could any of you maybe point out the severe weakpoints/bad habits and how i should be identifying them and how to go about switching up those habits and what i should be looking to do instead. What should i be looking to do instead of some of these side bs [point out the really bad ones i do].
My SideBs are reckless i know guys, im really trying to practice spacing them perfectly between regular B and Smash side b, and the heights for Wavebounces/SuperCrawls/Kicking at the begining-middle-end of move/Baiting the Grapple so i kinda kept going for them alot because the more i get punished and see when not to do it eventually i will become perfect with it. [i didnt even do that much of it vs james, i was messing up to much to even go for them].

Here's 2v2s if you guys wanna see, I use the Custom 3 Banana for Teams Specificly and it works really well with Luigi ;]
WFs/LFs/GFs are all in the playlist, Boss&Blue Vs James&Me was a struggle -.-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKP983XlSoI&index=4&list=PLiy1lEN0fdBzkLEwMXzX9a4nmTYEIhKWl

Here are the singles matches i was talking about, I got trashed. -.-
Vex Vs Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1CUZH5LbU&index=9&list=PLiy1lEN0fdBx54akCHHNxOqE_-sZZRoVm
James Vs Me (I went Rosa Round1, 1st time ever using her in tourny lol, luigi always craps on me so i tried her for the MU) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-C564tMUcw&list=PLiy1lEN0fdBx54akCHHNxOqE_-sZZRoVm&index=7

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I feel like you probably should have used the other thread (some others had asked for critiques there) but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

most boards have all-purpose video threads and diddy boards are kinda DED so sticking to one is probably for the best unless this thread suddenly sparks discussion

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Already posted this in the video thread, but since im looking specifically for critique ill post it here too

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm really wanting to request some post 1.06 videos here. Why is our video thread so empty... :( Still loving that vid of yours though Pogo <3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey Pogoshark, you used Rocket Barrel Attack in the video against Toon Link, or was it the regular Up B that killed him that early of the top?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes I've seen you praise the move a couple of times, good to finally see it's killing power in a propper match. Do you feel the move is worth the loss of recovery?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Yes I've seen you praise the move a couple of times, good to finally see it's killing power in a propper match. Do you feel the move is worth the loss of recovery?
I feel like its worth it.
When you look at it realistically you're only using your recovery under or slightly to the side of the stage anyway, All you have to do is jam left or right and you'll go up at a angle that's easy enough to recover with.
Its also way harder to interrupt once you launch and people think twice about getting near you when you charge it, e.g I've charging it as you fall past the edge of the stage as an edge guard works really well.
It covers ledge getups, as well as giving you a kind of ranged attack that hits above you as an anti air as well as giving you a solid kill option at 80+ out of a banana/hard read or 70+ out of a down/upthrow airdodge read.
With rage it can kill even earlier
I could talk all day about how much I love this custom tbh :4diddy:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Y'know, I will give the move a try thanks to you next time. Got some good set ups for it outside of U Throw and Banana?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
There isnt actually too much Ive found, its mostly frame traps.
I'm playing with the custom all the time though, so if I discover anything relevant ill be sure to post it to the Diddy boards

Swanky_

Smash Cadet

yo so I just lost this set. I have no sheik experience and I think i played pretty terribly G1, but any feedback anyone can give would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: just realized the match doesnt actually start til like 2:45, so skip ahead to there!

Last edited:

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692

Here is a set I played yesterday against Trevonte (some might remember him as one of the best Fox mains from Brawl, he mains Palu/Sheik in this game). This matchup is hard af for me so if anyone could tell me what I could improve upon, that'd be great. Mostly looking for MU help but general advice is of course welcome as well. Thanks :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THAT ROCKET BARREL KILL! Whoa! And I thought that Diddy vs Sheik was already the most hype matchup in the game. And whoa you play it really, really well! Thanks for sharing! Your Diddy is amazing!

Top Bottom