• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy intro banana's

Poppinfresh

Smash Rookie
I've noticed from watching videos of good Diddy players that at the beginning of matches, and occasionally in the middle, players will hop off the stage and toss two bananas back. Assuming it's performed as fast as possible, should I worry about getting rushed by a specific character or on a specific level.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I've noticed from watching videos of good Diddy players that at the beginning of matches, and occasionally in the middle, players will hop off the stage and toss two bananas back. Assuming it's performed as fast as possible, should I worry about getting rushed by a specific character or on a specific level.
does it matter? you have bananas lol

and of course players will rush a diddy unless its a snake or pit otherwise they will rush projectiles at u. you will progressively learn how to deal with these situations as the experience comes.

Poppinfresh

Smash Rookie
Lol. That's true. I suppose I don't quite feel comfortable intentionally leaving the stage. My instincts tell me to stay grounded and stay as close to the center as possible, ha. I've begun starting my matches like this and I'm always waiting for a player to know it's coming and get a nice gimpy lead, with some kind of methodical rush I don't know about. lol.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea dont expect the unexpected >_>... if u bait the correct expected approach then sure punish appropriately but it all depends on the player and his attack style... cant trust the beginning of the match unless u know ur opponent. adapting ftw

Yaman12

Smash Rookie
Lol. That's true. I suppose I don't quite feel comfortable intentionally leaving the stage. My instincts tell me to stay grounded and stay as close to the center as possible, ha. I've begun starting my matches like this and I'm always waiting for a player to know it's coming and get a nice gimpy lead, with some kind of methodical rush I don't know about. lol.
I have the same instincts when I play Diddy in a serious match, It's a habit I've got to break.

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
Yes this is a good strategy and after practice you'll get better at doing it and better at recovering back on the stage.
It feels awkward at first
and if you don't like it you can turn around and double jump then toss them out if they don't have projectiles.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Dfear is right, but keep in mind that spacing is a huge thing. If you have the ROOM then it's a no risk situation. If you need your bananas badly, get used to fighting without them, then when the time comes, smash them or throw them away from you and you can get your nanas. CAREFUL THOUGH. I got BADLY gimped by a mario player while i was doing this lol

DFEAR

Smash Hero
there will be a point in time where ur opponent could be better at handling bananas then u are and or know how to bait or use them against u. in the situation it is most viable to not be desperate for a banana but instead play cautious and smart and be a good banana-less diddy and be the better player overall

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
there will be a point in time where ur opponent could be better at handling bananas then u are and or know how to bait or use them against u. in the situation it is most viable to not be desperate for a banana but instead play cautious and smart and be a good banana-less diddy and be the better player overall
I can vouch for this in personal experience. I've played my best friend since Brawl was released, and he has thus had a LOT of Diddy experience. He plays CAPTAIN FALCON, ffs, and yet I still have a VERY hard time beating him because he has learned how to use my Bananas against me (pro tip: on almost any stage, at the beginning of the match, Captain Falcon can run up and catch your Banana before you if you do a standing throw right when the match begins). I REALLY have to mix-up anything I do with a Banana when I play him, simply because he's almost as good at a Diddy player at using them.

Thus, knowing when it is SAFE to pull a Banana definitely is crucial; Back-Throw > Banana Pull is usually a safe option at almost any percent. When you're far away from an opponent, it is PROBABLY safe to pull one, but you have to factor in how fast the character is, or if they are Falco (lasers). If they're fast or Falco, jumping off-stage might not be the best of ideas, even if they're all the way across the stage.

Usually, however, jumping off-stage CAN work. Personally, after seeing ADHD do this in matches, I now do this off-stage:

Run Towards Edge > Full Hop > Smash Banana Pull > Tilt Banana Pull > Jump back towards the stage > Instant Throw the second Banana onto the stage/at the opponent

In my experience, this creates a wall of sorts that many characters can't get through safely.

TL;DR: I'm not going to summarize it, just read it you lazy person

Top Bottom