• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy and Momentum Reverses

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
So earlier today I watched a match on Cobb's Tournaments featuring Dissent., and noticed a few times that he utilized options out of a smash monkey flip that I've never seen before.

Usually when I watch a Diddy and I see him/her monkey flip for mobility, they only do one thing afterwards: land. There hasn't been much discussion about what could be one of Diddy's greatest strength: his mobility.

You see, when Dissent. inputs a smash monkey flip (unkicked) from the air, he utilized one of four options:

A) Fall to ground. This is the most common option I see in replays. It maintains initial momentum and most importantly results in a slide. Relatively easy to punish if the flip is not smashed. From the slide you can:
  1. Slide forward in shield or other option.
  2. Short slide backward with a reverse crouch crawl.

B) Perform an aerial. This negates momentum resulting in a straight fall with no slide. Situational use.

C) Use your double jump. This negates momentum resulting in a fall you can control from there.

D) Perform a popgun-reversal. This results in a momentum reversal - which if the monkey flip was smashed makes for a dramatic and surprising shift in momentum and subsequent slide. From here you can cancel the popgun into shield, and move into whatever else you want.

It's this fourth option that I mainly wanted to discuss. I rarely see Diddys use this, it can be short hopped, and it's fairly easy to perform. It's extremely slick to use and see, it's surprising to opponents to think you'll land on the other end of the stage only to land about 1/4 FD away from your initial position. Further, you usually land safe with a charging popgun, ready to inflict hitstun, or you can cancel into shield. To see what I mean, take a look at what Dissent. does in this match. It's really slick. You can see him do two at about 1:07. The second one mixes up the newly invincibly Sheik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYr30Oy3FI

What do you all think? Is anyone else playing Diddy this fluidly? I really enjoy this style and as soon as I saw it went into training to try and emulate it.

Last edited:

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
Yeah, this was in Brawl. Never saw too many players use it though. I love it. Very underestimated AT.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
I'm a big fan of this aswell, always good to throw out on occasion to shock and mix up your opponent. Stylish as hell too.

Dodging after pulling out the popgun can be beneficial if you want to keep momentum

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
You can also lagless-cancel the pop gun, which results in the ability to aerial, double jump, air dodge, or fall to the ground. I find this to be his best option most if the times since you get to pick your option based on how your opponent reacts to the reversal

Luisfer

Smash Rookie
You can also lagless-cancel the pop gun, which results in the ability to aerial, double jump, air dodge, or fall to the ground. I find this to be his best option most if the times since you get to pick your option based on how your opponent reacts to the reversal
By "lagless-cancel the pop gun" you mean cancelling it's animation while you're on the air? I would like to know how do you do that.

Also about the momentum reverse I find myself doing it with the banana-pull, but never thought about the pop-gun then shield thing, I've been trying to apply it to my game and it has been a bit useful so far.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
By "lagless-cancel the pop gun" you mean cancelling it's animation while you're on the air? I would like to know how do you do that.

Also about the momentum reverse I find myself doing it with the banana-pull, but never thought about the pop-gun then shield thing, I've been trying to apply it to my game and it has been a bit useful so far.
It's kind of difficult. You need to be holding the shield button when you jump, and all the way through until the reverse. The popgun will automatically cancel after a couple frames laglessly. If anyone knows a better way, post it here, but I find that tech difficult to implement into my game. I'll have to try it again and see.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
You don't need to be holding the shield button, although that does make it perfect cancel automatically. The timing between the b button and the shield button is strict enough that I would describe it as almost simultaneous. It's really nifty and id recommend learning it. The tech is way more useful when you don't have to prep it by holding the shield button in advance

Andrew_Ryan

Smash Cadet
I find many of these to be really helpful on certain stages like SV, BF, and DK64. From either side of DK64, monkey flip without a kick into the center of the stage to get no lag. Quickly turning around to grab seems to be a quick mix-up after performing the flip.

RedQuelll

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedQuell
Hmmm, ive been trying to do it and its the only tech I cant seem to do thats been discovered in smash 4 (that isn't character exclusive) with diddy. Are you supposed to do the input early or later?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Try a smash input flip, with a popgun reverse just after Diddy begins his free fall animation. Should work.

Top Bottom