• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did You Know? Speculation Possibile Combat Damage?

Jcris25

Smash Rookie
http://didyouknowgaming.com/tagged/Super Smash Bros.

Here is some cool information about the past Smash Bros Games. Here is one notable idea that was left out of the previous games I would like to speculate on. Is this a possibility in the new game? If there was noticible combat damage would there be a need for the damage percentage at the bottom of the screen? Wouldn't they essentially do the same thing?

Will characters in SSB4 have noticable combat damage?

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
http://didyouknowgaming.com/tagged/Super Smash Bros.

Here is some cool information about the past Smash Bros Games. Here is one notable idea that was left out of the previous games I would like to speculate on. Is this a possibility in the new game? If there was noticible combat damage would there be a need for the damage percentage at the bottom of the screen? Wouldn't they essentially do the same thing?

Will characters in SSB4 have noticable combat damage?
I think that you'd still need it, even if there was visible damage. It'd be pretty hard to see the damage in all that craziness. Besides, I don't really like the idea of visible damage. I like my characters in mint condition.

Jcris25

Smash Rookie
I was thinking I wouldn't like visible combat damage but now I am thinking it would be kind of cool. I wouldn't want characters to turn red color like they do if you break your block bubble. That would be dumb to me. Don't even think I would like to see blood or dripping blood. I think if combat damage was visible I would just like to see some dirty spots on characters or maybe some scratches on the face or torn or tattered clothing?

What about broken equipment like fox' gun stops working or links sword breaks.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I was thinking I wouldn't like visible combat damage but now I am thinking it would be kind of cool. I wouldn't want characters to turn red color like they do if you break your block bubble. That would be dumb to me. Don't even think I would like to see blood or dripping blood. I think if combat damage was visible I would just like to see some dirty spots on characters or maybe some scratches on the face or torn or tattered clothing?

What about broken equipment like fox' gun stops working or links sword breaks.
That'd kind of mess up matches. However, if there had to be visible damage, dirty spots or scratches would be ok.

Jcris25

Smash Rookie
That'd kind of mess up matches. However, if there had to be visible damage, dirty spots or scratches would be ok.

That is the point. As of right now, SSB is a fighting game where characters remain in pristeen shape/condition the entire macth. Bring something new to the table, we have 3 fighting games in the SSB series and no character takes any physical damage. Have a gun kicked out of someones hand or allow them to drop it....have a sword get damaged...etc. Nothing to major, just spice it up a little.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
That is the point. As of right now, SSB is a fighting game where characters remain in pristeen shape/condition the entire macth. Bring something new to the table, we have 3 fighting games in the SSB series and no character takes any physical damage. Have a gun kicked out of someones hand or allow them to drop it....have a sword get damaged...etc. Nothing to major, just spice it up a little.
I don't even.. It just doesn't work out in my head. It's just not how I envision Smash Bros.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
We could have both. Keep the bottom damage meter and have some aesthetic changes on characters as they take damage. Ideally, these changes SHOULD NOT affect actual gameplay. Having a sword break on you or a weapon removed from your arsenal or slowed movements makes it much harder to make a comeback. The person already winning keeps on winning and matches will not turn around. Watching people play would be much less appealing since nobody would be turning the tides anymore. What would Link attack with if he has no sword (even though all the sword-using characters have legendary weapons that have been through many battles)? His fists?

0-39% damage (no change)
40-79% damage (light dirt stains, small rents in costume, etc.)
80-119% damage (heavier breathing, more notice rents and scuffs, etc.)
120%+ damage ('tired' idle stance, darker and larger scuffs on clothes and skin, stained weapon)

This could be adjusted for each character, though, based on character weight class, with heavies able to take more damage while staying relatively unscathed.

Jcris25

Smash Rookie
We could have both. Keep the bottom damage meter and have some aesthetic changes on characters as they take damage. Ideally, these changes SHOULD NOT affect actual gameplay. Having a sword break on you or a weapon removed from your arsenal or slowed movements makes it much harder to make a comeback. The person already winning keeps on winning and matches will not turn around. Watching people play would be much less appealing since nobody would be turning the tides anymore. What would Link attack with if he has no sword (even though all the sword-using characters have legendary weapons that have been through many battles)? His fists?

0-39% damage (no change)
40-79% damage (light dirt stains, small rents in costume, etc.)
80-119% damage (heavier breathing, more notice rents and scuffs, etc.)
120%+ damage ('tired' idle stance, darker and larger scuffs on clothes and skin, stained weapon)

This could be adjusted for each character, though, based on character weight class, with heavies able to take more damage while staying relatively unscathed.

Heavy breathing would be alright but I don't like the idea of being tired. That would basically make characters slower when the got tired. I like the heavy breathing when standing still but still want to keep the speed at a normal level.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Heavy breathing would be alright but I don't like the idea of being tired. That would basically make characters slower when the got tired. I like the heavy breathing when standing still but still want to keep the speed at a normal level.
I said 'idle stance.'

That's when the characters are just standing there and not doing anything. This shouldn't affect gameplay very much unless you're Link and the tiredness means your shield won't be raised. Then again, nobody really depends on the Hylian Shield to block everything.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Changing idle stances would be neat, but I wouldn't want anything beyond that.

Uffe

Smash Hero
The battle damage idea sounds pretty cool. I've had times where I wished that would happen, but I never knew the idea was thought of from Nintendo. I'd love to see it happen.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Yes, there'd still need to be a damage meter at the bottom even if characters had visible battle damage.
Just a reminder; IIRC, there was a way to turn off the damage meter so that you had to guesstimate how much damage anyone had on them.
Made matches more exciting, actually, which makes it even more unfortunate that I've never seen anyone other than me making use of it...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've never really been a fan of it, and I'm sure there's also a good reason it was left out. I think it'd feel very odd to have a damaged mask as Meta Knight at higher percentages, and then when I respawn it's suddenly all fixed up again. And what about characters who don't wear equipment that can be broken, how would you make battle damage on Kirby, Mario, Sonic and Pikachu in a T rated game? Then what about Pokémon Trainer's Pokémons, they share percentage, so if I've been playing as Ivysaur for a long time and switch to Charizard at higher percentages, will he show to have been beaten up even if he hasn't taken a single hit? There are many problems with the whole thing, and I can see why it was cut, and given that it looks like SSB4 will have a more light-hearted tone than Brawl's nitty gritty style I'm not expecting it to make it into this game. I feel like it's another case of "Do it on all characters or don't do it on anyone," as has been the case with so many things in Smash Bros, and in that case I feel it's best to not do it on anyone.

SVGK

Smash Rookie
it would be interesting if the damage meter was still there and it was things like torn or cut clothes, and cracked weapons, sheilds and masks, or looking exhausted.

but no effect on gameplay.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice

A sword getting damaged is a lot worse for Marth/Link/Ike than Falco/Fox/Wolf's gun getting broken. Completely imbalenced.

How about Zamus' plasma whip gun? Just cut out half her moveset too!

Or Just break Samus' suit, so she can't do anything.

Man I'd love to see that ga- no.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
As long as there is a turn on function, and It doesn't effect gameplay

Daniel Bryan:Yes YES YES YES!

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
A sword getting damaged is a lot worse for Marth/Link/Ike than Falco/Fox/Wolf's gun getting broken. Completely imbalenced.

How about Zamus' plasma whip gun? Just cut out half her moveset too!

Or Just break Samus' suit, so she can't do anything.

Man I'd love to see that ga- no.
Exactly how I feel.

Top Bottom