• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did they update the matchmaking online?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Ever since the update, I feel like the quality of skill with my opponents has gone up.
Every single one plays well. Like they suddenly know what they're doing. I have an 85% win rate. Could it be that the system now tallies the average win percent on your system as a whole and connects you with people who are as good as you?

Anyone notice something similar?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Nope. You're just having a string of good opponents. Happens.

With an 80% winrate, today I've encountered one good player as my first match of the morning who beat my Corrin and left after a single game, a few mediocre opponents following that, and one who was just absolutely terrible.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Nope. You're just having a string of good opponents. Happens.

With an 80% winrate, today I've encountered one good player as my first match of the morning who beat my Corrin and left after a single game, a few mediocre opponents following that, and one who was just absolutely terrible.
Strange. Cuz the string continues even today.

Maybe For Gloy Hell got that bad and there's so many reported players that I didn't even notice I got sent there

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
I've also been noticing more good players on FG as of late, and I find this to be a very pleasant change from all the noobs who are just flat-out awful.

That being said, I think it's just our good luck that's bringing us all these skilled players.

Nah

Smash Champion
Since when did FG have any sort of matchmaking at all?

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Nintendo didn't change anything connection-wise.
Eventually as the game grows older there will be fewer beginner players compared to how it was last year, either because they improved or they stopped playing altogether.
Now that we have confirmation that there will be no more new DLC and the hype for Smash is dying down, the beginners who aren't truly interested in competitive will lose motivation to continue playing.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
It's still going on to this day. The level of competition has never been this good this consistently. I'm beginning to think I may be in Smash Hell, but I can still join tournaments and I haven't been connected to the same person yet (both signs of a ban).

And I know the competition may get better as popularity wanes. But c'mon. From one day to the next? Nuh uh.
I'm not complaining. It's good practice.
But it's literally feeling like the game suddenly has a matchmaking system similar to Street Fighter 4, in which you are connected to others with ranks similar to yours.

In the past, it'd be like one good player every 20. Now I don't think I have played a single player who didn't know what they were doing since I created this thread.

Last edited:

HYP3R

Smash Lord
All I can say is that it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to update the matchmaking system without mentioning anything about it.
I can't think of a reason they would want to keep something like that secret. If anything it would be the opposite, they would be boasting about the new matchmaking in a direct or something.

There's also the dataminers, they would have found information about something like this while digging through the files for the latest patch. If my memory doesn't fail me I believe they even discovered Tournament Mode files before it was even announced.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
All I can say is that it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to update the matchmaking system without mentioning anything about it.
I can't think of a reason they would want to keep something like that secret. If anything it would be the opposite, they would be boasting about the new matchmaking in a direct or something.

There's also the dataminers, they would have found information about something like this while digging through the files for the latest patch. If my memory doesn't fail me I believe they even discovered Tournament Mode files before it was even announced.
I could definitely see them updating the MM without telling us.
Just sold my WiiU Yesterday
Bring on the NX !!
*Cough...Nintendo Reach*

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
They added For Glory hell without mentioning it

And even to this day, data miners haven't found anything on For Glory Hell

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Honestly, I'm experiencing the same phenomena at the moment. While I normally hate to rely on anecdotal evidence, I'd totally buy into a new matchmaking system being implemented recently.

Top Bottom