• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did They Reveal This Game In The Wrong Way?

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
So we all know how they revealed Smash Ultimate and the "Everybody Is Here" tagline. My question is with Sakurai saying that there won't be as many newcomers this time around, did they make a mistake by revealing the majority of the roster and stages at once, leaving very little hype reveals for the newcomers and new modes? Would it have been better if we were only shown the 30 characters from the demo leaving the rest to be revealed weekly, and then a month before the game comes out we get the last veteran reveals and then the "Everybody Is Here" trailer? I would of personally loved to see that happen since I think the best part of fighting games is seeing reveal trailers for characters while waiting for the game. Don't get me wrong i'm still hyped for this game, i'm just worried that hype might soon decrease unless we get some insane newcomer announcement or the return of subspace.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nah. The game is only six months away, unlike other Smash Bros. announcements where we were waiting much longer.

The fact that they only had two new characters and one clone to show six months before release means that the goal really was "everyone is back" and they likely aren't hiding a ton behind the curtain. I think simply telling everyone at once that all their favorites are back, rather than drip-feeding us returning character after returning character is a much smarter way of doing it.

Plus, they've said multiple times at E3 that they have more to announce before release. We know nothing about the single player portions, there are still more stages that haven't been shown, and we're pretty much guaranteed to get more Echo Characters since they made such a big deal of them in the trailer, yet only showed one new one.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Nah, the way it was presented was perfect. Dropping every Smash character ever at our feet with the “Everyone is Here” tagline was the best possible way they could have revealed that, yes, every character has returned, which is the main goal of the game.

If Sakurai and co. had spent the year drop feeding veteran after veteran with no newcomers, people would eventually get sick of it, and wonder where the hell the new characters were. By the time it sank in that all the veterans returned (5-6 months in) all the excitement would be lost.

Instead, they surprised everyone by showing their full hand, gave us the perfect jolt of excitement by showing everyone in a matter of minutes, and dropped that amazing poster with everyone reunited. For my money, there was no better way they could’ve shown it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I think that was perfect. Now we don't have to be betting on who's getting cut. We just need to guess who's the next newcomer to be revealed. Though that caption appearing with Snake halfway through the trailer kind of spoiled everything. If that caption didn't appear, some characters would have been more surprising and then the poster at the end confirms that everyone is back for people who weren't counting.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gotta say, I still watch the trailer and love it every time.

The way they started showing characters, and every one you're saying "Yeah, of course, that makes sense, wouldn't be Smash without him, etc." but you're never really taking stock of how many characters there are. Like the announcement trailer for the 8-player Smashes last round where they had a battle between 5 characters, but you didn't stop to count them until they pointed it out. Sure, when the ICs showed up, you celebrate a bit since they missed a round, and they'd said they were finished but missed out because of the 3DS. Or when Squirtle came by and something else happened which I never catch since I'm celebrating.

But when you see Snake, after we all thought he was permanently dead? And then "Everyone is HERE!" And then PICHU? I can't stop smiling.

It's nice to know that none of our favorites are getting cut for this one. Now the only additions will be new, even if we won't be getting boatloads of newcomers. I feel like this will be the last Smash, at least for quite a while until Nintendo's next gen console comes out, so it's fitting that it looks more at the past then the future. I've never been so hyped for a game, and this trailer delivered excellently.

Honestly, the only problems would be for people who prefer surprises. For a fighting game, I want to know early on if my favorites are in or not so I can preorder and binge play the game, rather than to spend all of my time speculating and then getting disappointed when the full roster is leaked a week beforehand and not seeing my favorites.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The title Ultimate wouldn't have meant much if we didn't get this huge chunk of information all at once. Like when we saw the sixty something characters revealed and than the title, I really felt that this was the Ultimate smash game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think veteran reveals would be that hype anymore, especially not since the majority of them don't have any huge changes. With Brawl there was a huge jump in graphics + Final Smashes were new and exciting, for Smash 4 it was HD/handheld for the first time and it was exciting seeing how the characters looked in the new artstyle, plus the pre-release period was super long and needed something to tie us over with. This time around reveals for the many shoe-ins just wouldn't be very exciting, the likes of ICs, Snake, Wolf and other previously cut veterans would be super hype, but we'd have to go through a lot of characters where there really wouldn't be much to talk about.

Instead we got an absolutely insane trailer that will go down as one of the biggest bombs dropped in Smash's history. It might be the case that these next 6 months drag on a bit in between newcomer reveals, but it'll all have been worth it for that one moment the "Everyone is here!" tagline dropped.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At this point, I really only care about gameplay changes. Anyone else added is just gravy. I think they were right to reveal all the veterans at once since everyone was concerned whether the third parties (bar Sonic) would even return.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
You have to consider what Nintendo is trying to advertise here. The tagline of smash ultimate is that every character is here, making it the "ultimate" game. Revealing the game as Smash ultimate while remaining coi would garner criticism and unrealistic expectations. By making this annoucement, Sakurai revealed the reasoning for the label by revealing its main draw while also calming some expectations for a ridiculous amount of newcomers. I mean even after explaining that there wont be as many newcomers, a lot of people are still expecting 10+ character reveals in the next 6 months. That being said it was much worse prior to the game's reveal.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If they dragged it out and only drip-fed us old characters and Daisy, imagine the furious backlash. Doing it all at once like this was perfect. Open, honest, no way to accuse them of being 'deceptive' with having few newcomers.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think they should have revealed Wolf with the "Everyone is here!" tagline and then save Snake afterwards a la Brawl.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This is a joke question right?

If anything, they did it perfectly. Instead of trolling around with who is coming back, they throw them all back for fans appreciation

Top Bottom