• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did they reduce the landing lag?

ferioku

Smash Ace
That landing lag looks sweet. If it's truly been improved I will be happy.

Anyway, I don't see why people are getting angry when I posted my opinion towards the upxoming smash games. It's obviously upsetting to see a game die out and I understand where melee fans are coming from, not like they're not wrong In some cases but who would want this game to die out like brawl did?

Either way, the build was early and people are making unnecessary judgments which is honestly building hate towards the new games. I just hope that our reaxtions towards the game is completely oppisite from when we played brawl.

And as for the guy who said all melee fans will never move on, watch hungrybox, Prog and Mew2king's interview. You will be surprised at their opinions of smash. They have all stated that it ia to early to make any sudden judgments and they will all be trying out the game. Of course fixing the landing lag is the main key to improve the gameplay, after that giving more move.ent options will be increadibly helpful.

D

Deleted member

Oh look, a thread about an simple observation has degraded into a Melee comparison flame war! That never happens on SmashBoards!

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Looks unnatural but whatever. If it stops people from whining I'm all for it. I think it has more to do with Lucina herself considering she is looking to be more agile than Marth (which could mean she'd be easy to KO for being a lightweight).
What feels natural is a lot more important. Imagine you know by now but Lucina is a direct copy of Marth without the weighted tippers.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
That landing lag looks sweet. If it's truly been improved I will be happy.

Anyway, I don't see why people are getting angry when I posted my opinion towards the upxoming smash games. It's obviously upsetting to see a game die out and I understand where melee fans are coming from, not like they're not wrong In some cases but who would want this game to die out like brawl did?

Either way, the build was early and people are making unnecessary judgments which is honestly building hate towards the new games. I just hope that our reaxtions towards the game is completely oppisite from when we played brawl.

And as for the guy who said all melee fans will never move on, watch hungrybox, Prog and Mew2king's interview. You will be surprised at their opinions of smash. They have all stated that it ia to early to make any sudden judgments and they will all be trying out the game. Of course fixing the landing lag is the main key to improve the gameplay, after that giving more move.ent options will be increadibly helpful.
I definitely agree. Many people have made a final judgement of these games way too quickly, and some of them haven't even actually played it.

I don't understand this whole "move on" thing. For me, move on has a negative connotation. It may mean I got in a fight that ended in me getting whooped.

Move on.

It could mean I'm holding a grudge against someone for something that happened years ago.

Move on.

When people in life "move on," they usually move away from something unfortunate.

Melee, however, is not unfortunate. It's an amazing game with fluid controls, classic characters, fun stages and items, deep gameplay, and timeless moments. Why would you tell someone to move on from that? Just because there's a new addition to a gaming series doesn't mean people should play it. I guess by that logic we should never touch Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., or Ocarina of Time ever again, right?

@ ferioku ferioku this wasn't directed at you, sorry for my rant.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't even know where to start with you, is it the presuppositions about the community or how other people would act? Or is it the absolutely high amounts of sodium I'm sensing from you. A game sequel is supposed to feel at least somewhat similar to it's predecessors. In the case of fighting games, extreme change is not appreciated because fighting games by their very nature are games that aren't supposed to change too much between iterations. In general most SEQUELS don't change between versions. Do you expect a sequel to say...Avengers to be a dark gritty cop thriller? No, you expect it to be action. Same thing in video games, if you change the genre you leave former fans of the game out and it isn't healthy. Super Paper Mario is one big example of this, I was a fan of the first two paper mario games but Super Paper Mario threw out most of the turn based RPG elements and introduced action platformer elements which made the game stand out less among the other mario platformers. It was very alienating.
I can't believe this drivel is soaking likes from people.

Smash is not comparable to other fighters in this regard in the slightest. Why? Because other fighters are subject to nearly annual new releases of the same game, with either a new character or a few upgrades. ultra, ultra turbo, ultra turbo alpha, ultra turbo alpha max, etc and so on. Smash has only gotten a new iteration only every several of years, so it goes without saying that there will be heavy-handed changes because with the new generation, you will see design fundamentals, and new directions in almost every facet of gaming and game development. Smash Wii U happens to be the current generation take on a Smash game, if you don't like it, don't play it. While you're at it, nobody is forcing you go to the movies to see new movies, nobody is forcing you wear newly brand name clothing.

Then you pulled the "Paper Mario" example which is also hilarious because of its equal amount of irrelevancy, because Smash 4 isn't running the same type of contrast to its predecessors. It's very much still "Smash". Wavedashes don't make Smash, Smash. L-cancels doesn't make Smash, Smash. As hundreds and hundreds of people have reiterated over and over and over, AT's in and of themselves, don't make Smash.

If anything, I'm convinced that Nintendo shouldn't listen to you because you are extremely toxic towards the competitive community who only wants a game that is best for everybody. There is nothing wrong with some people wanting to stay with older games if that is their choice. It is for this reason that other fun things like the speed running community exist. They play awesome games and to deny that the old game is awesome (hence why it is popular) just because a new version is coming out is just short sighted and hateful.
Well this is an outright lie. The competitive community only wants the game to be great for them, while at the same time constantly parroting that it is of no harm to anyone else anyway. As wrong as they are, I still do not hate the competitive Smash community because I enjoy playing Smash competitively so I am a part of it. Having a differing opinion from another competitive Smasher doesn't make me against the Smash community, it makes me against your silly egotistical opinion that assumes that the only right way to make a smash game is your way. That's not toxicity towards Smash, it's toxicity towards stupid people which I hesitate not to show.

There is a good amount in the community who would appreciate if the new game was conductive to competitive play. It is again, sort of like what other fighting games have done with Street Fighter and Marvel's newer games being the one played at EVO. Those games changed a lot within their own gameplay and people appreciate them because they had good enough mechanics(better than good enough, a marvel game is very hype to watch).
Yet there is a large community of people who cling to MVC2 like it's the gospel of the franchise, and hate-o-rade UMVC3 in to oblivion. You seem to conveniently forget all the other relevant examples in your post. This even happens with street fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Well this is an outright lie. The competitive community only wants the game to be great for them, while at the same time constantly parroting that it is of no harm to anyone else anyway.
Not going to respond to the rest because this isn't my internet fight to the death. Competitive players want the game great for them. They want to be pandered to. There is nothing wrong with that. Their statement that the game being great for them isn't harmful to anyone else is correct, though. Hell, people complain so much about Melee, look at what Melee's done. It has a thriving competitive scene and everybody and their mother played it casually for years and had so much ****ing fun with it. Their favorite game is an example as to why this works. Why is it bad that some people want a game that they want to play competitively? Since when is wanting a deeper gameplay experience ever been a negative? How would anyone be harmed with another Melee? (not literally of course, but something that fits the same duality of casual and competitive playability).

Unless you're going to say some revisionist history bull**** that nobody liked Melee because it was too hard.

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
Landing lag does not bother me at all. It just means I have to be careful and think more about my next move really. I'm happy with lower lag too though.

Senario

Smash Ace
Not going to respond to the rest because this isn't my internet fight to the death. Competitive players want the game great for them. They want to be pandered to. There is nothing wrong with that. Their statement that the game being great for them isn't harmful to anyone else is correct, though. Hell, people complain so much about Melee, look at what Melee's done. It has a thriving competitive scene and everybody and their mother played it casually for years and had so much ****ing fun with it. Their favorite game is an example as to why this works. Why is it bad that some people want a game that they want to play competitively? Since when is wanting a deeper gameplay experience ever been a negative? How would anyone be harmed with another Melee? (not literally of course, but something that fits the same duality of casual and competitive playability).

Unless you're going to say some revisionist history bull**** that nobody liked Melee because it was too hard.
I'm just going to reply to you since I really don't have the time to fight to the death in angry forum posts. Much less write an essay wall of text to somebody who is so mad and is full of salt.

What you said. The ability to play competitive has never hindered other ways of playing. And many competitive players are fine with simplification of some tech if it means they get substitutes. No L cancelling, no auto cancelling from brawl, just change it so landing lag is low across the board. Auto cancelling punishes you for speeding up, hence it is worse than L cancelling in terms of accessibility.

Nontoxic

Smash Cadet
I don't play Melee competitively, but I do play it casually over Brawl just because I like the quicker mechanics and movement options. I actively watch Melee tournaments because I legitimately enjoy the hyped up passion that comes with it, especially after all these years of it being around.

It seems to me that competitive Melee players would play Smash Bros 4 competitively if there were a few small changes made, such as less landing lag and more movement options, that most casual players would likely not even notice over the new graphics, stages, and characters. It feels like there's an unfortunate qualm between casual and competitive players that doesn't need to be there. I wish Smash Bros 4 could be a game that could be played casually, but could also be a GOOD competitive game for the players that want to play it like that by including non-glitch, intuitive movement options, momentum carried from running into your jumps, decreased landing lag, offensively-focused gameplay, etc. It's these little things that would only improve the overall game experience for everyone (casual players too).

Just because the game is made so that it can be played competitively in an effective and interesting way doesn't mean it's Melee 2.0, and can still be a completely different game. It just means that for those who want to play at a competitive level, the mechanics are there for them, and if you're in the majority of players that don't play competitively, you don't have to, and casual players would still benefit from the fluid movement and gameplay that competitive players adore. I can't think of any ways that more movement options could hinder people from playing the game non-competitively.

I think everyone wants to see the new Smash succeed, and hopefully the mechanics of the game are adjusted so that it will be a good competitive fighter with plenty of innovative movement options and fluid gameplay that all Smash Bros players would benefit from. Finally I'd like to reiterate again that giving the game more movement options does not make the game Melee 2.0. Nintendo has the ability to innovate and create new ways to move around the stage that everyone can use, while making the game unique from the others.

I don't play Melee competitively, but I do play it casually over Brawl just because I like the quicker mechanics and movement options. I actively watch Melee tournaments because I legitimately enjoy the hyped up passion that comes with it, especially after all these years of it being around.

It seems to me that competitive Melee players would play Smash Bros 4 competitively if there were a few small changes made, such as less landing lag and more movement options, that most casual players would likely not even notice over the new graphics, stages, and characters. It feels like there's an unfortunate qualm between casual and competitive players that doesn't need to be there. I wish Smash Bros 4 could be a game that could be played casually, but could also be a GOOD competitive game for the players that want to play it like that by including non-glitch, intuitive movement options, momentum carried from running into your jumps, decreased landing lag, offensively-focused gameplay, etc. It's these little things that would only improve the overall game experience for everyone (casual players too).

Just because the game is made so that it can be played competitively in an effective and interesting way doesn't mean it's Melee 2.0, and can still be a completely different game. It just means that for those who want to play at a competitive level, the mechanics are there for them, and if you're in the majority of players that don't play competitively, you don't have to, and casual players would still benefit from the fluid movement and gameplay that competitive players adore. I can't think of any ways that more movement options could hinder people from playing the game non-competitively.

I think everyone wants to see the new Smash succeed, and hopefully the mechanics of the game are adjusted so that it will be a good competitive fighter with plenty of innovative movement options and fluid gameplay that all Smash Bros players would benefit from. Finally I'd like to reiterate again that giving the game more movement options does not make the game Melee 2.0. Nintendo has the ability to innovate and create new ways to move around the stage that everyone can use, while making the game unique from the others.
Amazing and sensible first post. Welcome to the forums.

Why can't we get more members here like you?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Not to be that person, but if this debate keeps up this thread probably will be closed.

If someone likes one game over the others and isn't a douche about it, or even if they make a douchey comment, just ignore it. Passive resistance haha

I feel like landing lag on aerials should be tailored individually to their utility. Low damage combo oriented moves should have low lag, and heavy hitting moves should have more.

I also thought that if there is enough stun, you should be able to function and combo without a lag cancel , like a frame link in street fighter.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
I just want to talk about landing lag.
What about aerial lag for air dodges? I think I agree with a lot of people that aerial lag for air attacks should be reduced (because I personally like combos) but I'm not so sure about decreasing it when landing from a dodge. I don't know a lot about the Brawl competitive scene (or the competitive scene in general, really) but it seems like the aerial dodge could be abused with no free fall element.

By adding some landing lag to the air dodges, people will have to really think about using the dodge. I think it's important to define when landing lag should be reduced, and if and when it should not. I'm curious to hear what others think.

(Also...hi, I'm new.)

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
What about aerial lag for air dodges? I think I agree with a lot of people that aerial lag for air attacks should be reduced (because I personally like combos) but I'm not so sure about decreasing it when landing from a dodge. I don't know a lot about the Brawl competitive scene (or the competitive scene in general, really) but it seems like the aerial dodge could be abused with no free fall element.

By adding some landing lag to the air dodges, people will have to really think about using the dodge. I think it's important to define when landing lag should be reduced, and if and when it should not. I'm curious to hear what others think.

(Also...hi, I'm new.)
Welcome man :) Glad to have you on SWF.

From the footage we've seen, there is indeed some landing lag on airdodges. Landing while being in a dodge is no longer as fluid as it was in brawl, making airdodges a bit more riskier if you're using them as an air-to-ground evasive transition.

I'm personally fine with that. I think the air dodging mechanic in brawl was easily abused, especially with the low amount of hitstun. While it wasn't as much of a problem in upper level competitive play, players that are still adapting to entering the competitive scene kind of use air dodging as a crutch, often. It just got plain annoying.

Landing lag on aerials is a different story. The lag should be reduced overall, going off the demo.

In this clip shown, Lucina seems to have a recovery animation that goes by really, really fast. It makes me somewhat optimistic about the landing lag in this game. It could also be that the N-air is auto cancelled, the move ended right before she touched down, or that the lag is still there, and we're just not experiencing it as a problem because we don't have the controller in our hands and aren't executing this ourselves.

I decided to recheck the trailer of Robin and Lucina. Lucina seems fine but Robin seems to have issues with his landing lag.

As much as I want to sigh in disappointment, let's just wait and see. Let the game identify itself from Melee and Brawl and we'll see how it pans out.

inb4it'sgonnasucklol

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
Welcome man :) Glad to have you on SWF.

From the footage we've seen, there is indeed some landing lag on airdodges. Landing while being in a dodge is no longer as fluid as it was in brawl, making airdodges a bit more riskier if you're using them as an air-to-ground evasive transition.

I'm personally fine with that. I think the air dodging mechanic in brawl was easily abused, especially with the low amount of hitstun. While it wasn't as much of a problem in upper level competitive play, players that are still adapting to entering the competitive scene kind of use air dodging as a crutch, often. It just got plain annoying.

Landing lag on aerials is a different story. The lag should be reduced overall, going off the demo.

In this clip shown, Lucina seems to have a recovery animation that goes by really, really fast. It makes me somewhat optimistic about the landing lag in this game. It could also be that the N-air is auto cancelled, the move ended right before she touched down, or that the lag is still there, and we're just not experiencing it as a problem because we don't have the controller in our hands and aren't executing this ourselves.
I'm not really a highly technical player, but I noticed when Lucina landed after that attack she kind of jerked around when she landed. Is that how auto cancels typically look when they're executed?

Senario

Smash Ace
I decided to recheck the trailer of Robin and Lucina. Lucina seems fine but Robin seems to have issues with his landing lag.

As much as I want to sigh in disappointment, let's just wait and see. Let the game identify itself from Melee and Brawl and we'll see how it pans out.

inb4it'sgonnasucklol
I saw that too and was very very disappointed with how much landing lag he had on well...EVERYTHING. And it hurts because it wouldn't be the first time my personal favorite character has been garbage in a fighting game. What he could use is faster animations since a lot of things seem to have a lot of ending animation, throwing out spells especially. Landing lag is stupid long as well, even considering most other standards of landing lag. It makes no sense why he is so slow though, Mages are some of the fastest characters in the fire emblem series and it makes sense since they wear no armor, just robes. And it isn't like he is a particularly hard hitter or even speedy.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm not really a highly technical player, but I noticed when Lucina landed after that attack she kind of jerked around when she landed. Is that how auto cancels typically look when they're executed?
Yeah, kind of. The reason she looked like she jerked around was that her landing animation was being played really fast. So it looks like she quickly touched the ground with her hand and is back to normal. When aerials aren't L-canceled or auto cancelled, this animation is played at regular speed. When L-cancelled (only in melee, out of melee, brawl, and smash 4), the landing animation is cut in half. Auto canceling does the same (I believe).

So it looks like it was auto cancelled here, but it could also be that they're simply speeding up the landing animations for most/all characters because of the huge complaints at E3 about landing lag.

I saw that too and was very very disappointed with how much landing lag he had on well...EVERYTHING. And it hurts because it wouldn't be the first time my personal favorite character has been garbage in a fighting game. What he could use is faster animations since a lot of things seem to have a lot of ending animation, throwing out spells especially. Landing lag is stupid long as well, even considering most other standards of landing lag. It makes no sense why he is so slow though, Mages are some of the fastest characters in the fire emblem series and it makes sense since they wear no armor, just robes. And it isn't like he is a particularly hard hitter or even speedy.
Keyword: Seem

I'm not entirely sure but that's how I look at it.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yeah, kind of. The reason she looked like she jerked around was that her landing animation was being played really fast. So it looks like she quickly touched the ground with her hand and is back to normal. When aerials aren't L-canceled or auto cancelled, this animation is played at regular speed. When L-cancelled (only in melee, out of melee, brawl, and smash 4), the landing animation is cut in half. Auto canceling does the same (I believe).

So it looks like it was auto cancelled here, but it could also be that they're simply speeding up the landing animations for most/all characters because of the huge complaints at E3 about landing lag.
Yes, I think landing lag is actually one of the most complained about things if not the most complained about thing in Smash 4. Even though I think L-cancelling isn't an ideal solution (which is a topic for another thread), if it reappeared to help address the issue I wouldn't be opposed.

One wonders how it will end.

P.S. Rich Homie Quan may be one of my favorite names on this site

Senario

Smash Ace
Keyword: Seem

I'm not entirely sure but that's how I look at it.
I've been pouring over info about the character since I've been wanting to play a mage in nearly every game I play. That includes smash. So it is a slight disappointment that so far it seems he has a lot of lag. A bit iffy on the "My weapons break" gimmick. Seems like it would make him not very good since he would actually get weaker the more he attacks.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You know what the most painful thing to watch in Smash 4 is?

Sonic's Dair. It is literally painful to watch Sonic recover from the attack. I made a sandwich, ate the sandwich, and walked my Yoshi, and Sonic still wasn't done recovering from the landing lag.

It's as if Sonic's leg breaks or something when he hits the ground.

I've been pouring over info about the character since I've been wanting to play a mage in nearly every game I play. That includes smash. So it is a slight disappointment that so far it seems he has a lot of lag. A bit iffy on the "My weapons break" gimmick. Seems like it would make him not very good since he would actually get weaker the more he attacks.
The gimmick's iffy-ness depends on how powerful his attacks are. I'm guessing that they made the weapon breaking gimmick to handicap him and not because they had to make some sort of unique trait about him. If his attacks are not really that strong then Robin as a whole is a design flaw (*cough* Phoenix Wright in UMvC 3) and the weapon break gimmick is pretty much not needed.

I'm not even factoring landing lag in this since based on what we know, most of the characters have landing lag.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Yes, I think landing lag is actually one of the most complained about things if not the most complained about thing in Smash 4. Even though I think L-cancelling isn't an ideal solution (which is a topic for another thread), if it reappeared to help address the issue I wouldn't be opposed.

One wonders how it will end.

P.S. Rich Homie Quan may be one of my favorite names on this site
Right, and because we're still at where we were at E3 (possibly?) I'm with you. I'm not a big fan of L-canceling (to be discussed elsewhere), but because the way things are right now, I'll take anything that can decently reduce lag without limiting a characters abilities.

And hah, thank you. Rich Homie Quan is the name of an actual rapper from Atlanta, Georgia. I think his name and music are both hilarious so I've taken on his name here lmao.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
You know what the most painful thing to watch in Smash 4 is?

Sonic's Dair. It is literally painful to watch Sonic recover from the attack. I made a sandwich, ate the sandwich, and walked my Yoshi, and Sonic still wasn't done recovering from the landing lag.

It's as if Sonic's leg breaks or something when he hits the ground.
Maybe if Sega stopped making his legs so long and lanky, they wouldn't have to bring him to the ER after every down air. =D

But at this point, I'm really starting to wish Nintendo could communicate some of these technical aspects of SSB4 in their advertising, at least on a basic level. That way, we won't have to spend days analyzing a 2 second clip of a video to see if the game is "competitively viable" or not. More than anything that lack of communication can lead to a lot of anxiety on our part. Communication is key.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Maybe if Sega stopped making his legs so long and lanky, they wouldn't have to bring him to the ER after every down air. =D

But at this point, I'm really starting to wish Nintendo could communicate some of these technical aspects of SSB4 in their advertising, at least on a basic level. That way, we won't have to spend days analyzing a 2 second clip of a video to see if the game is "competitively viable" or not. More than anything that lack of communication can lead to a lot of anxiety on our part. Communication is key.
I know what you mean. I searched the Pac Man video for any signs of momentum being carried into your jump, but I got the exact opposite. Maybe Sakurai will one day talk about it in a Pic of the Day.

D

Deleted member 245254

This is the part I hate about these debates with people who want the game to replicate Melee with literally no other creative ideas of their own.

You always play the victim card.

What's wrong with wanting a game we can both like?

What's wrong with wanting to have more options?

These are false-positive questions because their answers are ultimately irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with wanting a game both camps can like. There's nothing wrong with wanting more options.

You know what is wrong? Whining and complaining that the options you want aren't there. Whining and complaining that the game will fail to appease your camp if it doesn't have X feature/mechanics, and that is ultimately what the Melee turbo-fans do. The ultimate point being, Smash doesn't need said mechanics to succeed as a competitive game. It also doesn't need any random number of your randomly generated complaint requests in order to succeed. Innovation is possible when Sakurai (the man who made Melee) is making your game.

Play the game. See where it notches up after it has a chance to brew its own competitive scene (which it will, even Brawl did). When it's all said and done, only then can you rightfully contest Smash 4's success or lack there-of as a competitive game due to lacking features/mechanics/etc. Until then, criticisms are best made as constructively as possible, while approaching the subject with an open mind. You have to think "Okay, so this game doesn't have Wavedashing...how can the game benefit from this?". There are ways in which the game does benefit, but you need to assess them before jumping to conclusions.

It's not that it would affect casual players in any harmful way, but depending on the kind of mechanics, you can actually stifle or hinder the inviting qualities to competitive play. Street Fighter is actually a great example. That whole game is played defensively. Lots of camping, footsies, blocking, spacing. It's the literal anti-thesis to Melee gameplay, and yet it pulls almost double the entrants of Melee and UMVC3 at this years EVO. It is legitimately hype to watch (apparently for a lot of people).

Unfortunately, I think at the very root, a lot of this is a sign of the Smash communities average age. Smash players tend to be...younger. This means the overall way in which opinions are doled out on this very forum, and how Smash events are carried out in general are a pretty good reflection of the "young" demographic. I think the general way in which Melee players approach their flaming of any games not Melee is a sign of immaturity, to be quite honest.
I'm just going to reply to you since I really don't have the time to fight to the death in angry forum posts. Much less write an essay wall of text to somebody who is so mad and is full of salt.

What you said. The ability to play competitive has never hindered other ways of playing. And many competitive players are fine with simplification of some tech if it means they get substitutes. No L cancelling, no auto cancelling from brawl, just change it so landing lag is low across the board. Auto cancelling punishes you for speeding up, hence it is worse than L cancelling in terms of accessibility.
Like this. Oh, I disagree with you so I must be "salty". Like really, grow up.

People are citing landing lag up and down as a big hinge for Smash 4, and yet I fail to actually see this in consistency from all the Smash 4 footage we have available. There are many instances for many characters where you can see obviously little amounts of landing lag, and many (intelligent) posters have already postulated that it seems to differ between characters and certain attacks even. Watch the Mario move analysis, his landing lag is near non-existent!

That is excellent for us. That means he's not simply blanketing all characters with a specified amount of landing lag. He's actually making landing lag a balance point. Certain moves on certain characters have landing lag, certain moves do not. Now you have more choices to make. You have more things to consider in your approach and your aerial offensives.

I'm really not concerned about landing lag at all, based on the extensive amount of footage I've seen.

Senario

Smash Ace
This is the part I hate about these debates with people who want the game to replicate Melee with literally no other creative ideas of their own.

These are false-positive questions because their answers are ultimately irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with wanting a game both camps can like. There's nothing wrong with wanting more options.

You know what is wrong? Whining and complaining that the options you want aren't there. Whining and complaining that the game will fail to appease your camp if it doesn't have X feature/mechanics, and that is ultimately what the Melee turbo-fans do. The ultimate point being, Smash doesn't need said mechanics to succeed as a competitive game. It also doesn't need any random number of your randomly generated complaint requests in order to succeed. Innovation is possible when Sakurai (the man who made Melee) is making your game.

Play the game. See where it notches up after it has a chance to brew its own competitive scene (which it will, even Brawl did). When it's all said and done, only then can you rightfully contest Smash 4's success or lack there-of as a competitive game due to lacking features/mechanics/etc. Until then, criticisms are best made as constructively as possible, while approaching the subject with an open mind. You have to think "Okay, so this game doesn't have Wavedashing...how can the game benefit from this?". There are ways in which the game does benefit, but you need to assess them before jumping to conclusions.

It's not that it would affect casual players in any harmful way, but depending on the kind of mechanics, you can actually stifle or hinder the inviting qualities to competitive play. Street Fighter is actually a great example. That whole game is played defensively. Lots of camping, footsies, blocking, spacing. It's the literal anti-thesis to Melee gameplay, and yet it pulls almost double the entrants of Melee and UMVC3 at this years EVO. It is legitimately hype to watch (apparently for a lot of people).

Unfortunately, I think at the very root, a lot of this is a sign of the Smash communities average age. Smash players tend to be...younger. This means the overall way in which opinions are doled out on this very forum, and how Smash events are carried out in general are a pretty good reflection of the "young" demographic. I think the general way in which Melee players approach their flaming of any games not Melee is a sign of immaturity, to be quite honest.

People are citing landing lag up and down as a big hinge for Smash 4, and yet I fail to actually see this in consistency from all the Smash 4 footage we have available. There are many instances for many characters where you can see obviously little amounts of landing lag, and many (intelligent) posters have already postulated that it seems to differ between characters and certain attacks even. Watch the Mario move analysis, his landing lag is near non-existent!

That is excellent for us. That means he's not simply blanketing all characters with a specified amount of landing lag. He's actually making landing lag a balance point. Certain moves on certain characters have landing lag, certain moves do not. Now you have more choices to make. You have more things to consider in your approach and your aerial offensives.

I'm really not concerned about landing lag at all, based on the extensive amount of footage I've seen.
The amount of ad homenim attacks are so real!!! So much anger! Let it flow through you!!

Also get out of this thread if you feel the need to insult everybody who disagrees with you. Even if you are on topic it is unnecessary. There is no real point in wasting time arguing with you.

D

Deleted member 245254

The amount of ad homenim attacks are so real!!! So much anger! Let it flow through you!!

Also get out of this thread if you feel the need to insult everybody who disagrees with you. Even if you are on topic it is unnecessary. There is no real point in wasting time arguing with you.
So don't. Allow me to ease your pain by letting you know that I won't be pained by your missing input. I'm really sorry that to you, the anger in a post is 100% equated to its length. It really let's me know that your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

You do have good points, but the hostility is fairly obvious.

The reason most people still complain about landing lag is because of the highly- and obviously-outdated demo, which is the only one most people have experienced first-hand. Watching something is one thing, experiencing it is another. Hopefully, that will die out.

I do like your points of it being a balance point, though.
I'll take Robin for an example - (s)he seems to have the most lag of any character, but h(is/er) ultimate equipment makes it a non-issue at the start of matches since (s)he appears to be able to control the entire stage from one spot when (s)he's not in Recharge Mode. It makes sense for h(im/er) to have lag.
Mario, though, gets the near-nonexistent lag because he is the average and the game is indeed moving in a faster direction on a general scale.

tl;dr: Since you pointed out what they're doing, I like what they're doing.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I always thought Brawl was deeper than Melee. All characters in Brawl are competitively viable against one another where in Melee that really isn't the case.

For me, Melee was good for its time but I cannot play that game again. Melee would have a different outlook if another Smash game came out 3 years after Melee's 2001 release. During that time, there was nothing to compare Melee with so people got used to the mechanics and delving into it for 7 years.

So of course many would hold Melee to high standards over Brawl. After playing Smash 4 at Best Buy, I got the same feeling I got going from Melee to Brawl- it felt different.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I always thought Brawl was deeper than Melee. All characters in Brawl are competitively viable against one another where in Melee that really isn't the case.

For me, Melee was good for its time but I cannot play that game again. Melee would have a different outlook if another Smash game came out 3 years after Melee's 2001 release. During that time, there was nothing to compare Melee with so people got used to the mechanics and delving into it for 7 years.

So of course many would hold Melee to high standards over Brawl. After playing Smash 4 at Best Buy, I got the same feeling I got going from Melee to Brawl- it felt different.
I have to disagree. Nobody was viable against Meta Knight and the Ice Climbers, and Captain Falcon, Zelda, Link, Jigglypuff, and Ganondorf were viable against nobody.

In contrast, just this past EVO, Yoshi (who's near the bottom) put up a very good fight against Fox (the absolute top), and Yoshi only lost because Amsa kept on neglecting his kill moves.

Yes, Melee had balance issues - that's why we don't see no Kirby or Game & Watch. But Brawl had just as many if not more due to problems on both the high and low ends.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I have to disagree. Nobody was viable against Meta Knight and the Ice Climbers, and Captain Falcon, Zelda, Link, Jigglypuff, and Ganondorf were viable against nobody.
I'm more looking at the ratio (25 characters in Melee and 39 characters in Brawl). Comparatively, there are more competitively viable characters in Brawl in Melee. I disagree with Ganondorf, Zelda and Jigglypuff not being viable against anyone because I've seen first hand that they indeed are viable against the likes Meta Knight and Snake. And Ice Climbers? Yeah, they are viable against everyone in Brawl even if it is a cheesy way (infinite chaingrab).

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
There is nothing surprising about this, as this amount of landing lag was also present in the Best Buy Demo.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcMdMmtHkPpSWM0mlhoB2GI2b9F4fe8oE

Landing lag is not universal in this game. Some moves have an absurd amount of lag, while others have little to none at all. Shiek in particular has very little landing lag on most of her aerials. Mario and Luigi's Bairs are really fast. And if I remember correctly, Marth had the same amount of landing lag from Nair in comparison to Lucina.

Too lazy to look through all of the videos to find examples. You can do that yourself.

Last edited:

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
People are citing landing lag up and down as a big hinge for Smash 4, and yet I fail to actually see this in consistency from all the Smash 4 footage we have available. There are many instances for many characters where you can see obviously little amounts of landing lag, and many (intelligent) posters have already postulated that it seems to differ between characters and certain attacks even. Watch the Mario move analysis, his landing lag is near non-existent

That is excellent for us. That means he's not simply blanketing all characters with a specified amount of landing lag. He's actually making landing lag a balance point.
The large disparity in landing lag is the issue. No one is expecting universal lag on all attacks a la Z-canceling in 64, just landing lag that is practical rather than becoming a big disadvantage yet again.

Understand that when an aerial already has a fair amount of startup and/or recovery frames and then you touch down, copious amounts of landing lag punishes you for using it twice over. That's not balance. Never has been in the history of the franchise.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Some characters are made to be air fighters. Others are not. At least no one form of movement/approach seems to dominate as it is.

This was the case in the demo, and will probably be the case in the final product. Get used to it--I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom