• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did some star KO testing with the new ceiling heights.

regal68

Smash Cadet
3.0 Ceiling heights:

Halberd Stationary << YS < Halberd Flying < Castle Siege 1 = WW < PS1 = PS2 < Castle Siege 2 = FD < Skyloft = Rumble Falls = Metal Cavern < Yoshi's Island =Distant Planet = Lylat= Smashville < BF < FoD = Green Hill Zone = Norfair < Skyworld < Dracula's << DL64

So basically never ever go halberd vs Fox (still). Tested this using Fox's uncharged upsmash vs Peach with no DI in Training mode (human controlled and stale moves shouldn't matter in training). I tried vs Bowser to break some of the ties but it didn't matter. CS1 and skyloft were tested in the exact middle of the slope and Metal Cavern/Rumble Falls/Halberd Flying were tested on the far right of the stage.

DL64 let Peach live 5% longer than Dracula's and she dies 5% sooner on halberd than YS. The death %s go from 61-84%

Platforms make a big difference. On Halberd Stationary, you die 7% sooner on the platform. The top of Norfair subtracts about 15%.

I shudder to think of the percentages before the ceiling raises.

So can anyone from the BR verify these? Another question for a BR member: were these just done to normalize the ceiling heights or trying to balance a character like Fox's counterpick game?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here's what I posted in the release thread:
In general, stage ceilings were significantly lower than Melee's (by ~15 units), leading to vertical KO-happy characters such as Fox and Bowser having around 11 or 12 good counterpicks instead of like 4, for no reason other than the stage ceiling being lower than normal. The average stage ceiling in common tournament stages now matches Melee, with some outliers (Yoshi's Story, Wario Ware, PS2, Dreamland, Dracula's Castle for example), as it should be. This change wasn't intended to target character balance in any specific way, but rather stage balance. How characters will shift on the tier list as a result will just be how it was intended in the first place, nothing more.

regal68

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the quick response and all your work, Strong Bad. And great, that is what I was hoping. I realized the same problem when I did extensive sets with a fox main friend of mine. Even though I could beat him with Marth, Sheik, and Peach, his CPs would be very much in his favor regardless of who I played. Hopefully this helps :D

regal68

Smash Cadet
Also, I was looking for the statistics thread to post this in but was unable to find it. Was that a relic from the brawlmods forum? It contained info like character fall speed, weight, etc. Can anyone direct me there?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Any chance you could put the percentage for the kill next to some of these stages? I'm sure you don't have that data anymore :(.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Here's what I posted in the release thread:
I really like that change. Can you confirm that star ko's take priority over blast zone ko's on the top corners of the ceiling? Before you would just explode. But in this demo it behaves like Melee. Which is AWESOME. You guys had to have done more engine optimizations because 3.0 feels SOOO much closer to Melee xD.

Top Bottom