• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Sakurai say he wanted a more Female presence in Brawl?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Just so you guys know, I'm almost certain I saw Micaiah on a list of confirmed ATs from WHobby.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
That whole more females in brawl thing was thrown out the window the minute Sakurai decided to add Lynn (of the FE franchise) as a freaking AT.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
I want there to be more females. In every fighting game as I said before I main on male and one female, I want there to be a decent list of females to chose from not one or two. The female mostly that I want to see playable is Micaiah, or in a Mia (wishful thinking) from fire emblem

The Protagonist

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, as far as Krystal I really can't give a valid opinion because I didn't play much of Star Fox Adventures (didn't like it too much).

Anyway, as for female characters for Brawl I REALLY wanted Lyn (Fire Emblem 7 aka Sealed Sword) to be a playable character but alas she was destined to be an assist trophy.

Miciah from Radient Dawn would be nice (Her and Sothe are badass in that game).

But what I would absolutely LOVE is if they were to give KOS MOS a character spot. I'm a huge fan of the Xenosaga games (probably the only one lol). I can imagine it wouldn't be TOO much of a far fetched idea seeing as how Monolith Soft was bought up by Nintendo as of May 2007. Also, remakes of Xenosaga I & II were ported to DS in Japan. *check the Monoloth soft entry in Wikipedia for proof*

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Whoa! Objection! Krystal is absolutely not a 'thoughtless recolor' of Fox.
Agreed. Krystal's character was created and designed before they even decided to make Dinosaur Planet into StarFox Adventures meaning that Krystal's appearance has nothing to do with Fox's.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
Lyndis would have been neat. Oh, well.

As far as Star Fox females go, Krystal is not the worst. Try playing Command; Amanda will drive you up the wall. That's why she and Slippy are perfect for each other. (Also, why the heck is Katt not pink? Seriously!)

At this point, it's hard for me to think of many other females that haven't been mentioned here/aren't third party.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Just so you guys know, I'm almost certain I saw Micaiah on a list of confirmed ATs from WHobby.
From the Japanese forums? That was a forum troll who acted like a prophet, was also debunked.

In other words, it was a lie.

DevilRyodo

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff in smash is obviously female. Based on the items given to her.
Zelda
Shiek
Peach
Samus
ZSS

Arean

Smash Ace
I for one consider females as well.. Currently we have 5 females in brawl

Peach
Zelda/Sheik
Samus/Zamus
Nana
Jigglypuff (Yes, I consider it as a she)

The candidates I would like to see are

Midna (real form)
Krystal
Micaiah
Daisy

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
What weve got:

Jiggy
Samus
Peach
Nana
Zelda/Sheik

What we might get:

Krystal (also, if we're going to rant about the uncreativity of Starfox, then let's look at it's main character: A Fox named... FOX! They must have really put their heads together on that one! :p)
Midna
Female PT

What we need more of:

Captain falcon in drag

Reyairia

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly, someone clarified that Sakurai didn't say "I want to put more females in Brawl", just "I see that there is an unbalanced ratio of males and females"

^^^ Very paraphrased
If sexism didn't exist, the character roster would be half male, and half female.
Unfortunately, by the time that happens it will be the year 2080.
So, of course there is an imbalance and it's prolly gonna stay like that for a while.

1ofMany_ppl

Smash Apprentice
He did say that, and he went back on his word. It just goes on the list of minor disappointments in Brawl.
Minor disapointment? All I've ever flippin' wanted since the day this games been announced is a NEW female character!...thats it. A roster with ATLEAST 1 NEW female character would be fantastic to me. Seriously I don't think it's too much to ask. It would NOT be a minor disapointment to me. It would be a MAJOR why the **** is there no new female character!!! ****!
and no ZSS doesn't count, especially if that 35 roster with ROB is correct, I mean you can't even choose her? You have to use her FS to play as her???? Seriously WTF were you thinking Sakurai?!?!?

On another note: What Sakurai said was something more like this:
" Yes, I do feel the lack of female fighters for this game" something like that, but that was all he pretty much stated.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
If sexism didn't exist, the character roster would be half male, and half female.
Unfortunately, by the time that happens it will be the year 2080.
So, of course there is an imbalance and it's prolly gonna stay like that for a while.
If sexism didn't exist, there would be more recognizable female figures in the land of games in general, making more characters eligible for Brawl. I wouldn't blame the smash bros. developers, I would blame gaming developers as a whole, since Smash Bros. is merely a collection of iconic characters from nintendo's universe.

There is unfortunately a low number of iconic female reps in the gaming world. I mean, if the roster were specifically half female with all characters from nintendo games, it would be filled with characters that were put in because they were female, not because they're iconic. I don't want that, personally. Affirmative action: NOT IN MY BRAWELZ!!!11

Hopefully in the future we'll see more iconic female representatives for the big N that can smash with the bros.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
If sexism didn't exist, there would be more recognizable female figures in the land of games in general, making more characters eligible for Brawl. I wouldn't blame the smash bros. developers, I would blame gaming developers as a whole, since Smash Bros. is merely a collection of iconic characters from nintendo's universe.

There is unfortunately a low number of iconic female reps in the gaming world. I mean, if the roster were specifically half female with all characters from nintendo games, it would be filled with characters that were put in because they were female, not because they're iconic. I don't want that, personally. Affirmative action: NOT IN MY BRAWELZ!!!11

Hopefully in the future we'll see more iconic female representatives for the big N that can smash with the bros.
I agree, actually. Hence why I said year 2080 when Nintendo starts up new franchises(?).

Mr. Ocax

Smash Journeyman
Well first off to the person who said Krystal was designed before it was a Starfox game, she was originally a cat in a game called dinosaur planet and Nintendo grabbed Rare by the balls and forced them to slap Starfox onto it and make Krystal a Fox. And even though she isn't creative, Wolf is completely less creative. And this lack of creativity makes him so popular. Its this anti hero who isn't a bad guy but isn't a good guy. The "badass" if you will is the characters these little fanboys cream themselves to. Why is Meta Knight so Popular? How about Shadow the Hedgehog? How about Zero from Megaman? It is an incredibly cliche character type that = insta popularity.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
well i don't think anyone should get in for being female i think if they're important to their series they'll make it boy or girl or wtf

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Well first off to the person who said Krystal was designed before it was a Starfox game, she was originally a cat in a game called dinosaur planet and Nintendo grabbed Rare by the balls and forced them to slap Starfox onto it and make Krystal a Fox. And even though she isn't creative, Wolf is completely less creative. And this lack of creativity makes him so popular. Its this anti hero who isn't a bad guy but isn't a good guy. The "badass" if you will is the characters these little fanboys cream themselves to. Why is Meta Knight so Popular? How about Shadow the Hedgehog? How about Zero from Megaman? It is an incredibly cliche character type that = insta popularity.

Hit the nail in the coffin, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Let's take Shadow the Hedgehog for example, he's popular not because of his personality(he's basically a emo Sonic)but because he wields guns and OMG DRIVES VEHICLES EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T NEED THEM. For younger gamers, it's not the level of character development that makes him/her good, it's the 'cool' things they do.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
How is Wolf not creative? explain please.

And Wolf is a badguy he just wont let fox die by someone else. If he's not a villian the Bowser isn't either. All he wants is peach, he never hurts her. You don't think krystal is a cliche character? A fox with breast who falls in love with fox. I'm a fan of krystal but it's true.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
^Wolf is an age old concept. As someone else stated, the anti hero has been done to death and beaten. You would be very hard pressed to find one thing wolf has done or one character trait he has that some other anti char doesn't have. This does not take away from the opinion that he is a fun char, but simply that guys like protoman, wario, shadow, dark link, chars in other media, etc have been doing his shick for a long time.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
^Wolf is an age old concept. As someone else stated, the anti hero has been done to death and beaten. You would be very hard pressed to find one thing wolf has done or one character trait he has that some other anti char doesn't have. This does not take away from the opinion that he is a fun char, but simply that guys like protoman, wario, shadow, dark link, chars in other media, etc have been doing his shick for a long time.
Wolf is not an anti hero falco is.

anti-hero is a protagonist who is lacking the traditional heroic attributes and qualities, and instead possesses character traits that are antithetical to heroism.

Wolf is a anti villian

An anti-villain is a protagonist or antagonist who engages in villainous, controversial acts in order to advance heroic goals. An anti-villain's actions often contain serious crimes, such as murder, though some actions may only be considered "villainous" because they come in direct conflict with a main protagonist.

Destructioncalls

Smash Cadet
Hmm honestly.. the only 2 females i can think of that has enough history to be in brawl is... Krystal and Dixie kong.

I like king K rool alot, but honestly i think Dixie needs to be in to rep the females. A lot people is gonna use the villian of the series needs to be in thing.. but villian wise we already have bowser, dedede, meta, wario, ganondorf (assumeing he returns), mewtwo (assumeing he returns), and Ridley (hopeing he makes it in).

So dat would be 7 villians to the low 4 female reps.

Top Bottom