• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Ness and co die between MOTHER 2 and 3?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I am very sorry if this isn't in the right forums. So you can delete or lock this thread if it is bad. I didn't know where else to put this, but I figured it would be best if I put it in the Ness forums.

Did Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo end up dying in the time frame between MOTHER 2 and MOTHER 3? I really hope they didn't otherwise that would be sad. I think that was a reason why some people in the past said Ness wouldn't come back in Brawl, because technically they said that Itoi said the game MOTHER 3 some of the characters you talk to explain that Onett and the whole world (as seen in Earthbound 64 on Youtube) was destroyed so most likely the Chosen Four died, and are not just hiding somewhere after the Pig Mask army took over.

Does anyone know the official Mother canon about what happens to Ness and his friends in the time between Mother 2 and 3? Could you point to links to websites that may explain more?

If Ness did die, it seems to be odd playing him in a Smash game with Lucas at the same time.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
No **** considering the games are like 1000 years apart.
Where did you hear this? Is this what Starmen.net or MOTHER3's instruction manual says?

What about the Earthbound 64 videos that show Onett and Fourside destroyed by the pig mask army?

I am assuming that Ness and Paula got married, had kids, and lived happily ever after and died of old age and Onett and Fourside got destroyed somewhere between Mother 2's time 1000 years ago and Mother 3's time. What is strange is that technology remained relatively unchanged, I mean by 3000 AD I'd think we'd colonize half the universe with spaceships and stuff.

Not only that, it makes me think Lucas could be Ness and Paula's descendent by many generations perhaps.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What is strange is that technology remained relatively unchanged, I mean by 3000 AD I'd think we'd colonize half the universe with spaceships and stuff.
I see what you're saying. But remember, at one point, people thought we'd be living like the Jetsons by 2000.

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
spoilers for Mother 3
Think of how old Pokey is, he time traveled and said he could be "1000, or 10000" years old. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay into the future.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I thought that
Pokey went back and fourth in time for thousands of years just to get stuff needed to take over the world, he always came back to the same time period to build his pig mask army. Does that still mean that just the time between MOTHER 2 and Mother 3 is about a thousand years or more, not considering that Pokey traveled back and forth in time for thousands of more years to acquire everything needed to take over the world? He could have spent those 1000 years back in the past or future yet in his time line where he is built his army he only came back and like 3 years past.

This can get confusing :dizzy:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Giygas is in 1 and 2, so it's not that unexpected to see a villain return in a different form in Mother 3

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
SPOILERS

If their dead, how did Pokey kidnap Professor's Andonuts (jeff's dad) No the REAL question is how Ness and CO didn't go back and try to rescue him from Pokey.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
SPOILERS:

Pokey has the ability to time travel. He brought people to and from everywhere in time, hence the population boom in Ch. 4.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION that everybody who isn't on Nowhere Island is dead. In Leder's speech in Chapter 8, he revealed that the world was destroyed, and that the remaining humans escaped to Nowhere Island on a white ship. The only humans that survived are the ones that are living in Tazmilly.

Pokey's aging is a side effect of time travel. It's some paradoxical thing, where his age doesn't necessarily reflect how long he's been traveling in time. When he arrives on Nowhere Island, he's trapped there, and can't travel in time anymore, which is why he had Andonuts build him the Absolute Safety Capsule, he knew he couldn't run away anymore.

Just because they died doesn't mean anything. They all probably lived full lives after Earthbound. But yes, they are 100% absolutely no questions about it, dead.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Well I am glad that Ness and his friends ended up living full lives in a way, up to age 80 before dying. Perhaps the world before was destroyed like 100 years or more after Ness and his friends already died.

So Mother 3 doesn't give any specifics about how Ness and his friend's life was after Earthbound, and how they lived their lives after that?

On Starmen.net, that was the most requested thing that people wished was in MOTHER 4, is an explanation of what happened between MOTHER 2 and 3.

It makes the story much better if like we see Ness and Paula holding each other at age 80 as the world is going to be destroyed than seeing both of them die at age 14 or something. Don't you think?

I really wish Itoi didn't leave so much ambiguity in those games. There should have been more explanation of what happened. Like what happened to Ninten and his friends from MOTHER 1, some people say that Buzz Buzz was actually Ninten and after he gets killed by Pokey's mom, he speaks to you whenever you you drink those coffee like at Saturn Valley.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday though, I found something very intriguing.

I think in MOTHER 3, Ness and his friends are still alive. In fact, a lot of the other people from MOTHER 2 are still alive.

Look at this webpage, and read what this person has to say.
http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=31152
^ this one is the proof or the argument that Ness and co are actually alive in Mother 3 and that if you look hard enough, they are there.

I can summarize his findings for a bit:
Most of the people in New Pork City ARE in fact, people who were from Mother 2/Earthbound. They aren't "lookalikes" like I used to think of the Earthbound people, but are infact the real people. The thing though is that most of them were kidnapped by Pokey who traveled through time, and suprisingly Ness was one of the ones who got kidnapped from his time and sent to work for Pokey in New Pork City.

Look at this video of New Pork City. It is really strange:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6nmGXyGL4

You can see Picky, Pokey's younger brother, at 0:09.

Ness is the man at the hotdog stand next to the theatre at 0:14. If you look closely, it DOES look like Ness. The above website to Starmen.net actually explains to you WHY it actually is him and not just some guy who looks like him.
I could see how Ness and Pokey are now "friends" because Pokey brainwashed him with the Good People Springs machine tube things and made Ness turn into some hotdog stand guy who stands infront of the very theatre that details his and his friend's adventure in Earthbound!

Venus at 0:29. Very easy to spot.

Ness' mom at 0:30 on the far right side.

Believe it or not, it is Paula's dad at 0:39. Remember the mustash he had? That most likely could be Paula's dad.

That brunette haired girl at 1:05 with the pigtails actually might be one of the preschool kids at Paula Polestar's preschool. Now seen grown up in what the above author says was 10 years.

Paula is seen under the statue of the dragon at 1:09. She has the same face, same lips, and very much the same clothing as she had. In this game, that girl is named "Nana" (not to be confused with the Ice Climber). She also says when you talk to her in dialog that people don't like her because her stories are too long (perhaps she makes up stories that were actually her stories with Ness back in MOTHER 2, but she didn't know it?) You'll understand why in a minute why this most likely proves this is actually Paula.

During the credits of MOTHER 3, there are two other characters who make a notable appearance.

The appearance of a man named "Paul" looks just like Jeff.

And also the appearance of a woman named Nan. Nan looks just like Ana from MOTHER 1, especially if you look at her clay figure. Nan is a play on the word name Ana, where the n and the a are reversed.
Nana is just a Nan/Ana with an A, and pretty much Paula is like a clone copy of Ana. So you can think of Nana as seen in MOTHER 3 as an almost clone copy of Nan. This is strange as you could say, the mind games that were put into this game.

I haven't seen Poo though.

So that is why I think that Ness and his friends are still alive in MOTHER 3. Also, they didn't die at the end of MOTHER 3 when Lucas summons the dragon because Lucas said not to harm any innocent people. So we pretty much know that Ness and the others survive even afterwards past Mother 3.

Levitas

the moon
Nan isn't an anagram of Ana...

Also you didn't really support your claims...

Edit: I just read his entire post/all of page 1 of his topic. It's not without merit, and is in a way "unprovable". The reason I say this is that he is claiming that Itoi intentionally made things so subtle that you have to read between the lines that appear once you read between the lines that appear once you read between the lines. It's really well thought out, and makes sense when compared with itself, though.

That said, I don't believe Ness and co are weak enough to fall subject to Pokey's traps ever, nor that their powers would ever fail.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
... Ness and co are not, repeat, not, canonically alive in MOTHER3. It's CANON that they aren't around anymore.

Do you get it? The game flat out tells you "Hey, you know humans? Yeah well Tazmilly is all that's left of them." in different, longer, more detailed and irrefutable words. Pokey brings in the rest for his own purposes, and those purposes would not include dragging his archrivals ahead into the future.

Top Bottom