• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Did e3 sell you on the WiiU?

Did E3 convince you to get a WiiU?

• Yes

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Already got one

Votes: 174 64.7%

• Total voters

Morbi

Scavenger
E3 definitely changed my mind on getting a Wii U. I can't wait now! Between the new Zelda games and of course Smash Bros, this was the first E3 in years I've been genuinely excited after watching.
Nintendo sure up'd their game this year with all these new awesome looking titles. Not to mention the Smash Bros invitational was super hype, had a blast watching it with my friends.

All in all , with the recent Wii U releases and the upcoming games this year, I definitely want to get my hands on a Wii U now. :D
As a matter of curiosity; which games were you most interested in (aside from Smash and the Zelda games, as you already mentioned those)?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
My 2 cents: I bought a Wii just for Brawl (despite not really liking Brawl and ended up selling the system afterwards) so I'm buying a WiiU for Smash. I also bought a 360 just for Bayonetta which means I'll be buying a WiiU for Bayonetta 2. Everything else is just a perk. Are the two games I mentioned worth $300+? Sure it is. I may not make that much money but certain experiences are worth it. I'm not buying it anytime soon though. Unless I land on some extra money. There aren't really many WiiU games I'd like to play right now.. already have a 3DS, PS3, and 360 with a big library I've been neglecting..

Then again I do have the limited edition Zelda 3DS, I'm a sucker for limited editions, and it would be amazing to have a matching Wii U and 3DS..

Raveks

Smash Rookie
As a matter of curiosity; which games were you most interested in (aside from Smash and the Zelda games, as you already mentioned those)?
Splatoon looks pretty sweet! So does mario maker. Mario Party 10 also looks pretty awesome haha :D and the whole amiibo's thing definitely caught my interest.

Raveks

Smash Rookie
My 2 cents: I bought a Wii just for Brawl (despite not really liking Brawl and ended up selling the system afterwards) so I'm buying a WiiU for Smash. I also bought a 360 just for Bayonetta which means I'll be buying a WiiU for Bayonetta 2. Everything else is just a perk. Are the two games I mentioned worth $300+? Sure it is. I may not make that much money but certain experiences are worth it. I'm not buying it anytime soon though. Unless I land on some extra money. There aren't really many WiiU games I'd like to play right now.. already have a 3DS, PS3, and 360 with a big library I've been neglecting..

Then again I do have the limited edition Zelda 3DS, I'm a sucker for limited editions, and it would be amazing to have a matching Wii U and 3DS..
I'm with you on the limited edition consoles. If a 3DS smash bros bundle is released, i'll have to get that for sure. A smash bros wii u would be sweet but i don't know if i can wait that long to get a wii u hahaha.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I honestly didn't care for ANY title previously other than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Smash Bros.

For some reason, E3 did NOT get me interested in anything else, I just got interested in and of itself. I'm now looking forward to Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, both Smash, Bros., and Zelda U(in regards to Wii U titles). I'm looking forward to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate being a long time fan.

All in all, my own research got me interested, lol. I'm sad to say if any of these games were not spiritual successors I wouldn't have searched it up, haha.

Booster

Smash Lord
Yes it did, I'm actually getting it before PS4...I may regret this later once PS4 and XboxOne get good, for now every game is getting tons of delays on those systems

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm with you on the limited edition consoles. If a 3DS smash bros bundle is released, i'll have to get that for sure. A smash bros wii u would be sweet but i don't know if i can wait that long to get a wii u hahaha.
Ironically that's one of the things that's actually keeping me from buying a Wii U right now, like what if there's a Smash Wii U or Bayonetta Wii U, I'd regret buying it soon. On the bright side the latest I'd buy a Wii U would be October (for Bayonetta), on the down side I could miss the chance of getting the Zelda Wii U, so I'm a bit torn. I do hear you on "having to get it now", that's how I felt with the 3DS and Pokemon X/Y, good thing the Zelda 3DS came out soon after Pokemon did so that worked out perfectly. Odds are, I'll probably buy it soon lol. Compared to the XBOX One and PS4 (both of which I plan on buying eventually) the Wii U actually has a great library already.

Raveks

Smash Rookie
Ironically that's one of the things that's actually keeping me from buying a Wii U right now, like what if there's a Smash Wii U or Bayonetta Wii U, I'd regret buying it soon. On the bright side the latest I'd buy a Wii U would be October (for Bayonetta), on the down side I could miss the chance of getting the Zelda Wii U, so I'm a bit torn. I do hear you on "having to get it now", that's how I felt with the 3DS and Pokemon X/Y, good thing the Zelda 3DS came out soon after Pokemon did so that worked out perfectly. Odds are, I'll probably buy it soon lol. Compared to the XBOX One and PS4 (both of which I plan on buying eventually) the Wii U actually has a great library already.

Exactly! Missing out on a sick limited edition wii would suck, but on the other hand so does waiting months to get one and play the great library. As much as i like xbox and whatnot, at $500 it doesn't seem like the library for the ps4 and xbone is worth it quite yet. But i'll gladly pay the $350 ish for the wii u considering the games, its almost worth it just for mario kart or the new zeldas, not to mention smash bros of course.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Exactly! Missing out on a sick limited edition wii would suck, but on the other hand so does waiting months to get one and play the great library. As much as i like xbox and whatnot, at $500 it doesn't seem like the library for the ps4 and xbone is worth it quite yet. But i'll gladly pay the $350 ish for the wii u considering the games, its almost worth it just for mario kart or the new zeldas, not to mention smash bros of course.
IIRC Xbone is the most expensive being 399.

Wii U is 250?

Raveks

Smash Rookie
100 more for a Xbox bundle?! What does it come with 0_0
The one i saw at ebgames is at least. Comes with forza 5. I've seen others that come with multiple games for like $750 which is ridiculous. I guess its a deal if you're gonna buy the games anyway but still :| . Should be a limited edition console or something not just a game if you ask me.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Splatoon looks pretty sweet! So does mario maker. Mario Party 10 also looks pretty awesome haha :D and the whole amiibo's thing definitely caught my interest.
MP10 looks like it's been going onto another downfall. I'd love to have the classic gameplay back, not the whole riding on the carts again

Don't have a WIi U yet, but last year's E-3 convinced me the very moment Mario Kart and Smash were announced

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I got my Wii U (before E3) was because of Smash.

I couldn't care less about any other game than I do now. Except for Mario 3ds World (I still wish it was more like M64, especially the camera following you around).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To anyone contemplating getting a Wii U, you can get a Nintendo refurbished one with Nintendo Land for $200 on their online shop.

It's on backorder until next week, but you can order one now to guarantee having one shipped to you soon as they have it. That's a killer deal if you're short on money. Won't find it cheaper anywhere else. Plus, if you get a copy of Mario Kart 8 and apply it to your Club Nintendo account (which is free) before the end of July, you'll get your choice of Windwaker, Pikmin 3, NSMBU or Wii U Party for free. By my math, that's $260 for a Wii U with a Nintendo warranty and three games. Plus, if the deluxe promotion still works on a refurbished model, you should get $10 in eShop credit if you buy MK8 digitally.

That's insane.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I suppose I had forgotten about Legend of Zelda U because there was so very little of it. It would not have been enough to convince me to go out and buy a Wii U though. Perhaps later when they actually decide to market it. Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 were decent; in fact, those were the only games I was really interested in. However, beat-em-ups, or hack and slash games are usually not worth the retail price. They are notoriously lacking in content, even franchises like God of War are criticized for such. I also find it hard to actually count them as they are second party games. You are correct though, they did not look like mini-game compilations, but they do not look like console worthy games either. Nobody cites God of War (or any 3rd person beat-em-up) as a reason to buy a console.

Splatoon... really? I suppose if that interests you, perhaps it is appealing to the Nintendo consumer-base.

I just forgot about X and I never got around to checking out Devil's Third (I must have missed it because they were obsessed with showing off Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and the like).

Either way, everyone else seems to believe that E3 was good enough. So what do I know? I am not an advocate of wasting my money. I will just wait for the quality games to come out. The ones people will be talking about after release. I honestly feel as though people are talking about Splatoon because it was one of the only games shown at E3. I will be surprised and eat crow if that game sells well and retains interest.
E3 for Nintendo was not just the digital event. Splatoon may have a simple premise and cartoony demeanor, but after watching extended gameplay for it I am very excited. It seems like such an obvious and simple twist on the TPS genre, really. It doesn't hurt that many venues have claimed that Splatoon was perhaps the most fun multiplayer game playable at E3.

The trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X was a bit lack luster (and I say this as a Xenoblade fan,) but the 40 minute of gameplay reinvigorated my hype.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I have personally not seen anything that makes me want to buy a PS4 or Xbox One (as someone that owns a gaming PC and a Wii U) but I know quite a few people that own one of them.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Personally I've always been on the fence about getting a Wii U. There had always been a couple of games I was kind of interested in (Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World) but nothing that really made me have to have it. Yeah, E3 gave me plenty of games that I had to have. Just about every game they showed was something that caught my interest and I was pretty much sold on getting it after the Xenoblade Chronicles X Trailer.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I got in the first week of the Wii U struggling days because of two games Smash Bros. and Pikmin 3. I now am interested in the new Yoshi game and Kirby game more than ever!
The two zeldas game looks cools.(never play dynasty warriors game.)
I have New super Mario Bros. U Monster hunter 3, Nintendo Land, Wii U party, Super mario 3d World and Mario Kart 8.
Even mario games are a blast I LOVE Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Is a freaking Blast!!!
I want SMASH SHOW ME YOUR BROS NOW!
I can't believe I was excited more about the new Fossils Fighters more than Star Fox and Metroid.(Seriusly I NOT joking I play the two only fossil fighters game and somehow they do have better final battles than pokemon with good music and epic feel! I LOVE FOSSILS FIGHTERS!!!)

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I already got one. I was sold on it when Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced haha, just took awhile to get it.
Same. Lol Last E3 The moment I seen Smash, I told myself I gotta get it. Now I have Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Super Mario 3D World, WindWakerHD, Pikmin3 and MarioKart8 which is wonderful btw.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I already got one. I was sold on it when Super Smash Bros. 4 was announced haha, just took awhile to get it.
Same. Lol Last E3 The moment I seen Smash, I told myself I gotta get it. Now I have Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Super Mario 3D World, WindWakerHD, Pikmin3 and MarioKart8 which is wonderful btw.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I got one only because my Wii's disc drive died and I thought I might as well upgrade. Was hyped for MK8, but I don't really like it too much, so now just hyped for Smash 4 and Splatoon.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I've owned a Wii U since its release. and E3 made me so pumped for the upcoming titles. The Captain Toad game was a stroke of genius, and Splatoon looks like it'll be a ton of fun. I already own MK8 and I'm obviously very excited about Smash 4, so all in all it's a great time to be a Nintendo fan with a Wii U.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Already have one. I knew from the start that I'd want to be able to play Nintendo's first party games when they launched, so I went ahead and got a Wii U last summer along with NSMBU, Nintendo Land, and Pikmin 3. I've since added Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, DKC TF, and MK8.

Now I'm waiting for SSB of course, but also the next Zelda game, whatever the next 3D Mario game is, Star Fox, and everything else Nintendo comes up with. They've been my main source of gaming since I was a kid; I can't go an entire console generation without them. I'd never buy a console right at launch for various reasons, but I usually buy Nintendo platforms within a few months once there are a few games I want.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I had a Wii u since X-mas however the lack of games is really disappointing. On the other hand as a way to legally emulate some of my favorite childhood games is pretty good if it was a $100 less (no gamepad) it would of been great. But now that Splatoon the hypest game ever, im sold on the gamepad.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Nah. I was already sold when they simultaneously announced Smash Bros and a better online network. Smash with better online is all I ever wanted. The rest is just a nice extra.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I don't have a Wii U which is rather hypocritical considering how much I've defended it against random people on the internet saying it's dead. E3 definitely sold me on getting one though. Between Smash bros and Splatoon (I'm more hype for Splatoon than smash bros btw. COME AT ME BRO!!!!!) I had a bit of a hypegasm sense E3 for the Wii U. I'll probably be a Christmas thing though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I bought one 4 days after the console launched. My Wii's disc drive completely stopped working, so I decided to let my brother hack it so I can catch up on the back catalog of Wii/GC games I wanted to play but never bought whenever I feel like it (i'm against piracy for the most part, but in this case, I'd only be able to buy GC/Wii games I want as used games these days, so the money wouldn't go to developers anyway). I also downloaded ISOs of the GC games that I own legitimately (such as Melee) so I could continue playing them on my hacked Wii. I also did it for Project M, since it's not legally available in Europe right now and I really wanted to play it (and I do own a legitimate PAL copy of Brawl that I bought when the game launched all those years ago, so again, I'm justified in downloading a US iso for Brawl to play Project M). I generally play Wii games I legitimately own on my Wii U though, since the resolution is upscaled to make them look a bit nicer.

I honestly didn't want to buy a Wii U at the time, but my family basically forced me to as a sort of Christmas present since my brother really wanted one (he's the sort of guy who wants every new console ASAP, regardless of what games are on it), and convinced my sister to want it.

I bought the ZombiU bundle, which I somewhat regret. The game is OK and the multiplayer is really fun, but the single player is difficult to get into since it demands so much from you and the game has problems that make it somewhat unplayable for me. And the multiplayer isn't online so I have no one to play it with most of the time. Kinda wish I had got Nintendo Land, but at least I got a Pro Controller free with my bundle.

I bought Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed soon after, and was addicted to that. It's not an exclusive, but the Wii U and PC versions are the best ones, so I went with that (and later got the PC version as part of the Sonic Franchise bundle on Steam).

For a while I didn't play my Wii U all that much, since I couldn't afford many games (and there were not many I wanted to begin with), and I had my Leaving Cert exams to prepare for. After those were over, I started trying to buy more games for it. And it's been going well, as I have been using my Wii U a lot lately, and I have plenty to play on it.

And going off of E3 2014, I am certain I purchased the right console for the new generation. As if Smash already wasn't going to steal my soul, Nintendo announced a whole torrent of games I am hyped for, some of which are coming out this holiday season! So yeah, even if I didn't have a PS4 too (which still doesn't have too many exclusive games I am interested in), I would be more than satisfied with owning a Wii U and 3DS for my console exclusive games. And I have a gaming friendly laptop for multiplats and PC games, so I'm all sorted!

Top Bottom