• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Did anyone else get the GOLD COIN at best buy?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
same here BUT the nintendo guy running the event was super nice and had one of the coins showed it to me and even let me hold it.

World

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have a picture of the coin?

I asked about it on another forum with the person stating Best Buy changed it from an event gift to a pre-order pickup when you get the game.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
Every employee at my Best Buy had a different story about what happened with the gold coins. :facepalm:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Mine just said you get them if you preordered on Wednesday or Saturday during Smash Fest. Which I did, so I'm expecting my coins when I pick up the games :)

World

Smash Cadet
I pre-ordered a Wii U version yesterday. Maybe it's a pre-order bonus. *shrugs*
Alright.
Wasn't sure because on another forum someone posted this image with the following:

A Nintendo rep began handing out sign up sheets for the game, and these papers, as they would send us Canadians the special Smash Bros. coin in the mail since they didn't ship in time

Every employee at my Best Buy had a different story about what happened with the gold coins. :facepalm:
Yes, this has been confusing for me as well.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
We were also told that the coins would be picked up at launch. I don't mind since we still got cool loot (a Smash button and a Mario Kart 8 flag).

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What did it look like and is it the same for the 3DS and Wii U? I preordered the 3DS game, first game I ever preordered and I don't even own a 3DS or 2DS yet.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
What did it look like and is it the same for the 3DS and Wii U? I preordered the 3DS game, first game I ever preordered and I don't even own a 3DS or 2DS yet.
It was a gold colored coin inside like a round plastic container, it had the smash symbol on one side and i THINK said super smash bros (wiiu and 3ds? not sure) on the other... if you took the two buttons they handed out and made a coin out of them that was what appeared to be on the coins container part anyway, i only held it real quick and didnt look if the gold on the inside had the same symbols i assume it does.

and this wasnt like an openable platic container it appeared to be permanently around the coin. I'm not a coin collector but i think ive seen coins in similar holders before.

Last edited:

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Sorry not sure what what I'm doing.
Someone please tell me how to post a picture? I have the coin and want to show it off.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Gah, you lucky guy. I was at the front door at about 9, so I didnt make it in...
Sorry you didn't make it in. It was pretty packed. The line was already 75+ when we got there at 2:30 and we heard that the first people had started lining up at 6:30 that morning. We were all outside until half an hour before the event, then they moved the line inside. From there, it still took 2 and a half-ish hours before we got up there.

My advice for tomorrow: get there early and prepared for a long wait outside. My recommendation is a chair (standing for so long kills your feet), some water bottles, and your 3DS. Also something to eat, depending on how long you plan to be there. After you play your time (they went with 2 minute 4 player FFAs to fit in as many people as possible yesterday), you can go to the table and get a Smash sticker and one loot of your choice. Also, grab the preorder slips and head to their checkout to do the preorder if you want the coins. Be warned: you need to pick up the game and coin from the same location.

Hope to see you tomorrow. I'm going to go another round and also try out the 3DS Smash Run demo...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The Nintendo rep at our best buy told us that anyone who pre-ordered that day got the coin when the game came out, because they were sorry for not having them that day

I was second in line... and then it wasn't exclusive. : (

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Nintendo rep at our best buy told us that anyone who pre-ordered that day got the coin when the game came out, because they were sorry for not having them that day

I was second in line... and then it wasn't exclusive. : (
Here's hoping that's the case for everyone! I preordered near the end of the event of Saturday, so I doubt I'm one of the first 75 people.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I'm bound to obtain one for pre ordering the game at my best buy

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I went on the first Smashfest day, I never got any coin :(

I did get a Smash sticker and Nintendo E3 Lanyard however, was I supposed to pre order it there?

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Same for the location I went to. They didn't say it was a production error, just that it would come with the game at pickup. They said the first 70 people to pick the game up get one. That Best Buy was an hour and a half away, so I'm not driving... I don't want the coin that much, haha. I got a MK8 flag, some stickers and a couple of pins.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Same for the location I went to. They didn't say it was a production error, just that it would come with the game at pickup. They said the first 70 people to pick the game up get one. That Best Buy was an hour and a half away, so I'm not driving... I don't want the coin that much, haha. I got a MK8 flag, some stickers and a couple of pins.
i preordered it from one that was 2 hours away... it BETTER be the first 70 people who preordered not just the first 70 who show up when the game comes out. I was under the impression that ONLY the best buys with this special event had the coin available and ONLY preordering during the event got you the coin. If I can just preorder at my local best buy and get the coin then im switching my preorder or the one i preordered at better hold my coin when i drive out there, its ridiculous how mismanaged the whole event was... the best buy i went to barely seemed to know it was going on until a bunch of people showed up.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
i preordered it from one that was 2 hours away... it BETTER be the first 70 people who preordered not just the first 70 who show up when the game comes out. I was under the impression that ONLY the best buys with this special event had the coin available and ONLY preordering during the event got you the coin. If I can just preorder at my local best buy and get the coin then im switching my preorder or the one i preordered at better hold my coin when i drive out there, its ridiculous how mismanaged the whole event was... the best buy i went to barely seemed to know it was going on until a bunch of people showed up.
Two hours for a coin? That's pretty hardcore. I'd make the drive if it were something better, and although that coin is sweet, it's not worth the time or the drive for me. But yeah man, that's just what they specifically told me - both the Best Buy employee and the Nintendo rep. They said it really didn't matter who preordered at what time - it was given to the first 70 people to pickup a preorder copy of the game. I hope you get it!

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Better not be the first 70 people. I was told by the nintendo rep that everyone that preordered on wed & saturday would get one.

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
I was told by my Nintendo rep that anyone that preordered during Smash Fest was guaranteed to get a coin. The only limit was it had to be preordered on the Smash Fest days & during the times Smash Fest was occurring. I missed the mark by 6 minutes because everyone, myself included, decided to preorder last minute Saturday. I hope they still give me the coin though.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Hope you get one guys! Since they kept throwing out 70, I doubt everyone gets one if they preordered at my location. There were 200+ people and I know a ton of them personally who preordered. hah

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Yep. I got it! My Best Buy employee said that Iwata made it so that everyone in line could get the gold coin if they pre-ordered it, then recorded us saying that he was going to send our thanks to him. I'm not sure if this happened anywhere else, though.

Top Bottom