• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did America lose a generation?

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I am 13 and my generation is pretty dumb. I am one of the few children in my school who was raised to not be and idiot. Using slang, smoking, sex before marriage, etc. Dear god, the people at my school. School is the only public place I go to that has kids my age so this is the only evidence I have. Kids that are around my age curse, act dumb, or just be annoying. I know parents have alot to do with how a child turns out. But, I know kids these days, are just bad. Also kids in 5th grade are acting like they are so cool and swag like. One time, I accidentally walked in in front of two of them while they were playing soccer, and, it was like a waterfall of F bombs flowing out of one of their mouths. I just looked at him and said, "Classy", and he got all mad. So, I do thing my generation and others are messed up. Why I am not like one of them is thanks to Nintendo. I learned what Pokemon was and did tons of research. Then I asked my brother what was it like back then. And he told me it was great. As I learned, grew up, and went into a new grade, I noticed. Today is not quite what it was yesterday.
Now, kids are spoiled. And influenced by stupid things.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
What are we arguing about, everybody knows that a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age.

Back on topic, though, people have been saying this for ages. The new generation is always disappointing the elder. Every time there's a new generation of humans, the one that came before (or even the one before that) always says how much better/nicer/more moral than things were 30-40 years ago. Of course, this older generation was seen by their elders to be just as degenerate as our elders see us.

Who's right? Neither. Values are human inventions that change with time. We invented them to help run society better, but we disagree on what exactly they mean. Every culture agrees that most violence is wrong, but what is considered acceptable violence changes depending on the country and year. 1000 years ago, violence was more common, and thus more acceptable than it is today. The people of that time might look at us and say how we've all become wimps that are willing to be walked all over, while our parents and grandparents today say that we're too quick to become violent. Nobody is objectively right here, it's just attitudes changing with the times.

MasterExocuter

Smash Cadet
Going through my old posts from a while ago and I found this forum. Just wanted to apologize for some of the things that I said previously, and that if I could, I would retract them in a heartbeat. I'm sure years down the road I will unfortunately come across things I have said at my current age and will wish I never said them. You all were right to call me out on my BS, and if this comes across as a little extra, I cannot stress how disgusted I was at some of the baseless and ridiculous things I said throughout this forum. Not to mention my lack of critical thinking when it came to expressing my ideas. It seems that in attempting to point out the faults in others, I could not see the blatant faults in my own self nor could I accept criticism from others. Cheers, and hope you all have a good year!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
MasterExocuter MasterExocuter It's the same for all people. Even I cringe at my own responses in this thread. There is always a factor for growth that should be taken into account especially with videogame platforms as the age demographic seems to be contain a higher density of teenagers/younger adults who are still developing dramatically from a physiological & social standpoint. I think that having some degree of self-contempt for the past shows that you have been open to growth and have made changes both known and unknown. I have stated previously from 4 years ago that if there is any platform that is ideal for making mistakes, it is on forum boards like these where you have a pseudoanonymous "username" where you can write what you think is right and later reflect on it with others. There is no such thing as anyone getting anything perfect on the first try when it comes to imperfect systems such as exploring concepts and ideas. It's why I think it's insidious that the internet spares no mercy many times when it comes to the "digital footprint" or the idea that what you thought was okay to type 5, 10, 15 years ago can still represent you if you don't make an effort to mask your irl identity. Conflicts, disagreements, and other instigator factors are bound to happen, it's part of growth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Reading through this thread is already pretty dated TBH. I see people complaining about hip hop for corrupting the youth or whatever, but nowadays you already have full grown adults into the kind of hip hop that was blamed for gang violence complaining about today’s generation’s taste. Why? Stuff like bubble gum pop and sad mumble rap.

And I’m certainly not into today’s pop scene. But this has been the case for quite awhile, such as generations of rock which were each scrutinized by the previous generation. And young people often think of their generation as inferior due to not fitting in with current trends.

Plus the issues that are likely to destroy us have been ingrained generations ago. And would probably take more generations to fix. **** like global warming. The sad thing is that we and previous generations won’t take responsibility for it and it’ll be up to the future generations to handle these issues.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The newer generation is ****ed. They're being raised with all kinds of handicaps only to be shoved into a cold, unforgiving society.

It was like that before, but its even worse than before. Mind you, this is only based off of what I've seen, and that's likely a minority, but I doubt it.

Klimax

Smash Ace
The problem is that society taught young people to think as "part of a community" and not as "individuals", that's the biggest problem. Because it's easier to manipulate a community when you make them believe that they all have the same problems.

Top Bottom