• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Di

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=4947]DI[/drupal]

I've been playing this game for a while (Melee) and I haven't really been able to practice my DI or where to apply certain DI's.

(Falcon Taking hits from Fox)

Forward Smash - DI Up and towards the stage?

Upsmash - DI towards or away from Fox?

DownSmash - DI Up?

UpThrow - DI away?

Tell me mistakes and what DI's to do. I have to work on them yet so I want to know what ones I'm doing right.

*georgeH

Smash Rookie
I suggest moving this into the melee discussion boards or maybe falcon-specific, but here's a decent start.

You have a pretty good idea of how to DI in general, but there's a few factors that need to be considered. Crouch canceling is always a helpful defense tactic that can throw off opponents, and although falcon is already a heavy character, figure out which moves from fox are best to be holding the stick down without overusing it.
Also, survivor DI and combo DI need to be differentiated. Fox's smash attacks will generally be used as finishers and thats when you want to recover high and inward, with the exception of upsmash since it sends you straight up meaning you should DI away. Upthrow, tilts, and aerials are mostly in the combo DI category so you mostly want to escape by DIing away. However, most decent players will read/predict where you're going after a hit, so mixups and DIing inward sometimes are crucial to not getting comboed; after taking a hit, think of what the other player wants to follow up with or how they expect you to retaliate, and do the opposite through your DI imputs and punishes.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Forward Smash - DI Up and towards the stage?
Yes
Upsmash - DI towards or away from Fox?
If it's high %, DI downwards and inwards to the stage. If you can, crouch cancel it, it'll make you last so much longer.
At low %, DI away otherwise he'll U-smash you again, DI as far away as you can

DownSmash - DI Up?
Downwards and try to tech it if at very high %. You will hardly see a D-smash ever on stage, only real use is for edgeguarding, that's when you try to tech it on the wall.
UpThrow - DI away?
U-throw is always bad. No DI is terrible, DI in front makes it a tad easier for him with tech skill.
DI behind him would be your best bet. Learn to Smash-DI the U-air so you don't get hit by that, that's more important.
Responses in colour

Top Bottom