• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DI Questions: From a noob at DI

gunnac

Smash Rookie
OK, I was hoping some of you pros could help us lesser players at DI. There are general definitions of DI on the forums but nothing specific enough to answer the following questions:

1) Smash DI. How is this done? I have tried hitting a direction quickly when hit by an attack but I must not know the timing. If you can could you help me with the timing and maybe tell me some techniques on how to practice? If there is a way to practice smash DI without someone else to help me that would be best.

2) How do you DI attacks (offensive meaning my attack)? Specifically I have heard that you can DI an aerial attack, is this true and how do you do this (I'm guessing smash DI, which I don't know how to do)? Of course I know how to do regular DI (kind of), but smash DI alludes me.

3) Concerning regular DI, how do you DI attacks that send you upward? I cant seem to live any longer trying to DI to the left/right when hit with say Fox's up smash (as compared with when I don't DI at all). Is this just my timing or should I not be DI-ing to the side, but some other way?

4) Finally ASDI. I think i understand this, though it is hard to see in action. I think your supposed to hold C-stick toward the stage, supposing your trying to live from a kill move, in order to get the ASDI, then just after you get hit, hit up (if you get hit off to the left). I think this should get you both the ASDI and the regular DI, but I'm not 100% sure. Also are there other uses of ASDI?

DISCLAIMER: I have looked many times for in depth DI info on the boards but couldn't find much other than VERY basic definition info. If there is a good post please let me know.

NOTE: If you feel you cant give away all your info, (cause you're scared of a little competition:chuckle:) then just give a little. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Vist

Smash Champion
OK, I was hoping some of you pros could help us lesser players at DI. There are general definitions of DI on the forums but nothing specific enough to answer the following questions:

1) Smash DI. How is this done? I have tried hitting a direction quickly when hit by an attack but I must not know the timing. If you can could you help me with the timing and maybe tell me some techniques on how to practice? If there is a way to practice smash DI without someone else to help me that would be best.

2) How do you DI attacks (offensive meaning my attack)? Specifically I have heard that you can DI an aerial attack, is this true and how do you do this (I'm guessing smash DI, which I don't know how to do)? Of course I know how to do regular DI (kind of), but smash DI alludes me.

3) Concerning regular DI, how do you DI attacks that send you upward? I cant seem to live any longer trying to DI to the left/right when hit with say Fox's up smash (as compared with when I don't DI at all). Is this just my timing or should I not be DI-ing to the side, but some other way?

4) Finally ASDI. I think i understand this, though it is hard to see in action. I think your supposed to hold C-stick toward the stage, supposing your trying to live from a kill move, in order to get the ASDI, then just after you get hit, hit up (if you get hit off to the left). I think this should get you both the ASDI and the regular DI, but I'm not 100% sure. Also are there other uses of ASDI?

DISCLAIMER: I have looked many times for in depth DI info on the boards but couldn't find much other than VERY basic definition info. If there is a good post please let me know.

NOTE: If you feel you cant give away all your info, (cause you're scared of a little competition:chuckle:) then just give a little. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
1. Smash DI is basically just smashing a direction with the control stick to move your character ever so slightly during the hit frames. If you watched a character getting smashed by another in slow motion, you would see the one getting hit stunned for a certain number of frames and then launched in whatever direction. Smash DI involves those first number of frames in which you don't really go anywhere. At that time, when you smash DI, you can move just a tad bit to a direction you input. You don't have to practice with another player, i mean you could practice with comps or w/e. A good example of this is Smash DIing to either the left or right when hit by Fox's up aerial. If you Smash DI it correctly, you should move just enough to not get hit by the full force of the second kick.

2. I'm not sure what you mean :dizzy: You can DI all attacks and throws, and smash DI/ASDI all attacks.

3. If the attack sends you straight up, then you probably want to DI away but holding inward works too (depends on the attack). It's normally just the direction perpendicular to where you would normally fly towards. It might not seem like much help when you're looking at a move like Fox's upsmash, but it does work and does help. For that move specifically, just try holding away from the fox. If you go straight up, then your timing is probably off, otherwise you should be launched upwards and to the side you are holding.

4. ASDI is pretty much like smash DIing with the C-stick. The idea is more like, you can ASDI towards the stage when coming back in addition to using regular DI, so that the ASDI can get you close enough to the stage to perform a tech off the side of the stage. ASDI isn't going to make that big of a difference even in a situation like that, but it helps. Doraki's guide can explain it better than I could.

Top Bottom