• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DHMO is good for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Link for DHMO

Link against DHMO

Despite what these nutcases say, DHMO is a really usefull chemical and it's contributions to mankind obviously outway the damage it does. The industrial applications alone make DHMO one of the most useful coumpounds on the earth! I say we expand research and allow knowlege to waylay ignorance in these trying times of science.

infinity

Smash Apprentice
More precautions and warnings are necessary to keep using DHMO. Can deaths of ppl by accidental inhalation be reduced? If so, Im all for it. However, in order for lawmakers to settle this issue, they will most likely force companies to cut down on dumping their waste DHMO into rivers.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I want to bring this back up for discussion, and since it already exists, I will not create a new topic for it.

I will, however, provide a new link to replace the one that is now dead.

Link against DHMO

Do not be a jerk and destroy this topic for everyone else.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I can't say that i would ever want this chemical readily available for people to have. It's deadly, it doesn't do to many ground-breaking things for people, the only thing i saw that was even remotely helpful is pesticides, and we have other pesticides to use that our better health risk wise.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
While I'm all for further research, I think that the modern usage of DHMO is pretty irresponsible. Just last week, I learned that the governments of several states, including the one I live in, are allowing large quantities of the chemical to be leaked into their water supplies. Quite frankly, it's appalling.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
DHMO's use is utterly horrible, I have talked to all my lawmakers and am drafting a purposal to have it banned!

We need to stop the epidemic, stop the danger, is is the invisible killer for God's sake, killing millions a year.

It's also used in Athletic performance enhancement, contributing to the raging epidemic that is peaking in sports today.

And nobody notices it, we must do something, we must fight this!

Ban DHMO! DHMO I.S.W!

On a side note, I love acronyms, somebody figure out what the one I have at the end of my post means, then pm me.

Edit: Just so you guys know, I created this acronym for use by the movement, you won't find it listed as an official acronym, I'm trying to get it popularized though.

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
First of all, the link you provided FOR DHMO is actually a site against it, because I went there myself to do a little research. And although I am for the advancement for science as well, there are certain aspects of science I do not want in my life. For example, I'm not to fond of nuclear science, simply because of the dangers. However, I feel it is something that should be studied. But like I said, I don't want it in my life, powering my home, with reactors in my neighborhood. And that fact that this chemical is being dumped into our water supplies with little knowledge is, as Digital Watches said, appaling. Where does it end? We do not know enough about this chemical and how to control it to be using so whimsically. Just because something is convienant doesn't mean it's wise to use.

Foe

Smash Journeyman
I am against research for DHMO. Going on that link you supplied, reading what it s used for, most are just terrible. I think it is just something people will use too much and harm everyone around them and themselves. Here is the list that DHMO does:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant,
* in nuclear power plants,
* by the U.S. Navy in the propulsion systems of some older vessels,
* by elite athletes to improve performance,
* in the production of Styrofoam,
* in biological and chemical weapons manufacture,
* in the development of genetically engineering crops and animals,
* as a spray-on fire suppressant and retardant,
* in so-called "family planning" or "reproductive health" clinics,
* as a major ingredient in many home-brewed bombs,
* as a byproduct of hydrocarbon combustion in furnaces and air conditioning compressor operation,
* in cult rituals,

* by the Church of Scientology on their members and their members' families (although surprisingly, many members recently have contacted DHMO.org to vehemently deny such use),
* by both the KKK and the NAACP during rallies and marches,
* by members of Congress who are under investigation for financial corruption and inappropriate IM behavior,
* by the clientele at a number of bath houses in New York City and San Francisco,
* historically, in Hitler's death camps in Nazi Germany, and in prisons in Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Libya, Iraq and Iran,
* in World War II prison camps in Japan, and in prisons in China, for various forms of torture,
* during many recent religious and ethnic wars in the Middle East,
* by many terrorist organizations including al Quaeda,
* in community swimming pools to maintain chemical balance,
* by software engineers, including those producing DICOM software SDKs,
* in animal research laboratories, and
* in pesticide production and distribution.

Bolded is what I feel is too unsafe. Even when you add the positives, I do not think it balances out. For some things like cleaning bath houses/pools you can easily replace it to clean the area. So called family planning isn't necessary. It's also used in nuclear powerplants which is a huge mistake.

I feel that everything that could go for this can be replaced so that using DHMO is not necessary. Therefore, with all the bad things DHMO is used for, should not be researched any further. It would be better for all of humanity.

Also DHMO has been proven to be in addicting foods, school shootings/violence and can be used as a steroid.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
DHMO is a new thing for me to hear about. I did some research from the links you gave and to tell the truth, DHMO sounds horrible.

It doesn't sound like something people in our society would want to be near, if it is going to cause disrupted cell membranes. Even if it does have some good aspects about it, I think the downfalls of it are worse.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I have to disagree with you. One of the major advantages of DHMO over other similar chemicals is the fact that it is so inexpensive. Because of this fact, there has already been a plethora of studies on its affects and uses. It would cost a lot more money to synthesize a new substitute and implement it.

To give an analogy, coal is a relatively abundant resource that has also been used for a long time, we already know the health effects and how to mitigate them. I understand that we are trying to find more energy sources other than coal, but that is more because there isn't enough coal to supply the energy needs of the entire earth. Not because of the dangers involved with it!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
DHMO is used in several horrific methods of torture. Advocating its use is like condoning torture.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Dynamos are used in torture, but they are also the primary equipment in most wind turbines. Are you saying that we shouldn't use wind power because dynamos are used to torture people?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yes, that is what I'm saying.

Wind = torture.

Let's also make note of the fact that many dangerous, disease-causing bacteria multiply rapidly when there is plentiful DHMO.

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone seem to leave out Solar Energy? There's a big ol' ball of energy in the sky, and I can't help but feel like each day we are wasting the energy it rains on the Earth. I realize people are making more use of Solar Energy, but if it was our primary energy source, I think things would be a lot easier. I mean, it's free and plenteful, and there are no damaging effects, whereas DHMO is very dangerours and used in cruel and unusual experiments. And even if it is inexpensive, it's still dangerous. And as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." If you want to use something cheap, expect all the reprocautions that come with it.

Wind = torture.
I Lol'ed. ;x

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer

Wind = torture.

Let's also make note of the fact that many dangerous, disease-causing bacteria multiply rapidly when there is plentiful DHMO.
Hyperbole aside, it is one of the uses of DHMO in diagnostics. They use DHMO to help create bacteria cultures to identify and cure diseases. As long as proper controls are placed and people aren't exposed to DHMO, everything is fine. It happens all the time in movies where the (evil) laboratory accidentally releases some designer bacteria or virus, but that doesn't happen in real life.

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
Even so, is it really worth it? With all the harmful side effects it creates, your eyes are closed if you believe it won't pose a threat. The fact that it creates bacteria at a rapid rate should be a huge red flag. Can you imagine the reprecautions if a terrorist was able to get his hands on some? It's bad enough nuclear war is a threat... added fear of bioterrorism is certainky nothing good for humankind.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You know, I'm not really quite sure why this thread isn't in the Pool Room... it's not exactly a real debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom