• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Desyncing WiiU Pro Controllers

Kyras

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vaynor
3DS FC
2122-6728-5947
What's the most reliable way to desync a pro controller? I've had issues with this in the past, mostly at tournaments. All of the information I can find online says to start the syncing process and simply not sync the pro controller, or to hold the sync button the controller until it times out (or press it once and allow the sync to time out). None of these options work; the controller simply reconnects to the WiiU the next time it is turned on. The best solution I've found so far is just holding the controller constantly and being careful not to turn it on when I'm not using it, but I'm hoping there's a better way. The battery pack can't be removed so that option won't work like it would for other wireless controllers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it even possible for a WiiU Pro Controller to be completely desynced from any WiiU?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
What I usually do is use the temp sync method for the Wii U to hook up my Pro controller, and then use the red button on the back to 'desync' when done since it will spend about a minute looking for a new Wii U that is also trying to 'sync'. My first tournament they wanted me to use the red button sync (hard sync, makes it so the Pro Controller only works with that specific Wii U on wake up), but it became harder to 'desync' properly when I was finished. Didn't happen when I used the temp sync solution, as the Pro controller restores its sync to the last hard sync it had when the attempt to sync via the red button fails. it's left over tech from the Wii days if you wanted to bring your controller to a friends house but not sync it to lose Mii/save data transfered via the remotes.

Edit: To temp sync, you bring up the controller settings menu and use the Re-order Remotes option. From there, any Wii or Wii U controller that is activated from sleep (just hitting a button) while it's re-ordering will 'temp' sync to that machine. If the remote goes back to sleep, the sync is lost.

Last edited:

Kyras

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vaynor
3DS FC
2122-6728-5947
Hmm, the temp sync seems like the best option. The only problem, though, is that the weekly tournament I'd be using it at is one where I would probably be bringing my own setup to help out, and thus my controller would already be synced to one of the setups. I take it there's no way to completely unsync it, then? Letting the sync via the red button time out did not work to remove the hard sync from the controller.

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
What's the most reliable way to desync a pro controller? I've had issues with this in the past, mostly at tournaments. All of the information I can find online says to start the syncing process and simply not sync the pro controller, or to hold the sync button the controller until it times out (or press it once and allow the sync to time out). None of these options work; the controller simply reconnects to the WiiU the next time it is turned on. The best solution I've found so far is just holding the controller constantly and being careful not to turn it on when I'm not using it, but I'm hoping there's a better way. The battery pack can't be removed so that option won't work like it would for other wireless controllers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it even possible for a WiiU Pro Controller to be completely desynced from any WiiU?
The funny thing is it that I just recently found a desync method for the Wii U Pro controller.
On the back, where the plate protect the battery, near the top of the sync button and the screw will be a small hole. If you have a toothpick or a paperclip, you can push the button that will be in the small hole and completely desync the controller.
Update 28/05/2016: So yeah... after going to GOML with my pro controller, it is confirmed: the hole with the button does desync the controller, but the second you touch a button it automatically looks for the last console it connected to. This is sad but asinine! It forces you to have to take out the plate that protects the battery. But if that is the only way, I guess that is what has to be done. At least I - and anyone else who wasn't sure - now knows the deal with the Wii U pro controller. A shame really.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's your personal setup right? You can delete all Wiimote and Pro pairings from the system settings. All or nothing though.

If you're afraid of accidentally turning on the controller I believe you can just remove the battery and plug it into a Wii U's USB port when you want to play, though it doesn't automatically sync to the Wii U you hook it up to.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, the best solution would probably be to just have a place to put down the controller so it doesn't get accidentally touched. Like, just take a shoebox or something, write your name across it, and see if you can leave it on a table or something.

For a more technical solution, here's another way I found: http://smashboards.com/threads/anot...ntroller-at-tournaments.429734/#post-20816266
Technically, I think this could also be done with very old android devices... it seems that prior to around android 4, the bluetooth stack in android devices could connect to wii u pro controllers. I am just guessing at this though, it was a long time ago when I was researching this.

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
The only way to make a Pro Controller "forget" a Wii U is to sync it with a new Wii U (or other device, if that's an option). It will always try to connect to the last connected device upon the press, intentional or accidental, of any of the face buttons.

The solution is to carry a mini (MINI!) USB cable and remove the battery entirely for the duration of your time at the tournament venue. The connection will be wireless, and you will still have to manually sync to each console (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're misinformed or lying), but without power, your controller obviously won't interfere with setups while you keep it in your pocket or bag, and the Wii U's USB ports offer more than enough power to keep the Pro Controller functioning while connected.

Gero Zeal

Smash Cadet
The only way to make a Pro Controller "forget" a Wii U is to sync it with a new Wii U (or other device, if that's an option). It will always try to connect to the last connected device upon the press, intentional or accidental, of any of the face buttons.

The solution is to carry a mini (MINI!) USB cable and remove the battery entirely for the duration of your time at the tournament venue. The connection will be wireless, and you will still have to manually sync to each console (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're misinformed or lying), but without power, your controller obviously won't interfere with setups while you keep it in your pocket or bag, and the Wii U's USB ports offer more than enough power to keep the Pro Controller functioning while connected.
Well this is quite a sad resolution. I had really hoped the button would stop it from searching for a machine once pressed, which now meanings I have to find a screwdriver the will be virtually exclusive to the Pro controller.
I least now people who were curious will know now. That, and it is now confirmed without a doubt.

Top Bottom