• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Describe your local Melee scene

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
ITT: Describe how your local scene works. Social interactions, cliques, well-known players, teams, common venues, things that make your local scene stand out from others, etc. I'll start with an example.

In my local scene, (upstate South Carolina) most tournaments take place in Clemson. There's also a small video game store close to where I live that has tournaments sometimes.

You could classify the players that attend locals here into 4 main categories:

-Kids, new players, and "bad" players

This is the majority of the turnout for many locals. Especially ones that take place at Clemson University, as we got some of the more casual players that attend for fun just because it's there. We also get a couple kids every tournament. They usually keep to themselves and other kids. Then there are the so-called "bad" players. I don't say that they're bad out of any sort of elitism or anything, but they're the people that don't really strive to get better. Most of them would become part of the next category just by putting in more effort to get better. Of all the sub-categories here, the "bad" players make up the majority of them. It's been really easy to place better in this tournament environment because not many people actually get better between tournaments.

-The "in-between" crowd

This is where I am. This category is much smaller than the previous one, but it is still much larger than the next one. This is the group of players that are actively working on getting better, but don't consistently place in the top 3-5 of the locals. For having the largest range of skill levels, this category still manages to be pretty small in this scene.

-The highly skilled players

This category is rather small. It consists of players who consistently place very well. They typically take home some of the prize money and may or many not be sponsored by our local Smash team, Olympus Esports. There isn't much else to be said here.

-Esam

Esam goes to school in Clemson, so if he needs to pay rent or something, he just attends a local and totally cleans up shop and leaves with all the prize money. There are other top players who fall in this category of players who just drop by sometimes because they're close and then completely sweep it. Examples are Soft and Druggedfox. We're still working on getting PPMD to come to a tournament down here. Someday.

Last year, a top player from SC named Starlord (formerly Atlas) started the Esports team Olympus Esports. Since then, they've hosted biweeklies and such, which has really caused the scene around here to pick up steam. They also sponsor many of our best local players and have a big tournament every few months. The series is called Olympus and it typically alternates between Melee and Project M. The main events typically have a considerable pot bonus. Most of their events take place at a church in Clemson.

I don't know what else there is to say about my local scene..

This isn't my local scene anymore, but I'm describing southern western Virginia

Everyone is bad except 3 players. 1 of which is an idiot who's not sucky enough to not suck, another is a desperate try hard, and the 3rd is actually kind of good. There's also a mysterious 4th player who rarely goes to events who's he's secretly good. He places well in Maryland and northern Virginia tournaments and even beat Cyrain at Smash Con. There are 4 players who are almost good enough to not be bad, but they still are. At least everyone's improving faster than at any other point in the region's history. We used to have 3 players who were actually good. 1 of them sometimes places top 48 at nationals

I'm so vague

LanAl

Smash Rookie
Everyone is free, including myself xP,

I am working to change that.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
NC Melee scene:
0. PP

1. $Mike
2. Twitch
3. Ronzell
4. L0ZR
5. Stingers
I think $Mike is the only person to take a game off of PP in bracket semi-recently.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
NC used to be my stomping grounds, been a long time since I was PR'd there. List hasn't changed much lmao (accept for my boy adam slowly dropping over the years). Great region.

I played in the SoVA Region for a few months with the doug (teamed at pound 5), ether, toasty, rhan, and others. Maybe 2010. Small region but ppl are great.

I also played in northern VA for a few months going to tourneys with Vist (homie), Redd, wenbo, chivalruse, Boss, etc. 2011-ish. I once went to a xanadu tourney just to play Boss in melee forever lol. Good guys.

I'm southern Florida now, probably ranked 13-15th or something. Great scene here, Blea, porkchops, tipman, linguini, smilez, and spider_sense are super chill. Pretty good talent here, with zidane as a hidden boss and Rula, but he just moved to central FL. I tend to place 9th, 13th, or 17th depending on how thirsty I get (lol). Everyone here is really motivated toward getting better but never forget that it's about having fun first. Great region.

Did I mention it's 84 degrees every day in October, 76 at night? LOL.

BootyBlast

Smash Rookie
I live in Switzerland, esports is on the comeup. We still are nowhere near Germany's in terms of playerbase, but in our defence we are a tiny country so every smasher goes to the big tourneys every 2-3 months. Currently Smash 4 is outdoing ssbm in terms of size (sadly imo, but they will see the beauty of melee sooner or later) getting up to 100-150 entrants at the bigger tournaments. But our ssbm scene is growing. We have 3 maybe 4 oldschool players who competed in europe back in the day and were pretty good, they were brought back to life about 3 years ago when a newcomer luigi (9th at Helix - imo best Luigi in Europe now) helped to reinitiate the scene with; starting a functioning and active Facebook group, communication led to a playerbase. Our group grew fast and is getting solid. Now there are; a bunch of newcomers who go to tourneys to compete, semi-recent amateurs who are on a very good path which forced the older more veteran players to actually git gud, 20xx for daaays and a (smallish) handfull of serious competitors including the on and off talents we get when smashers come to Switzerland to study. Imo a solid scene that definitely has potential, we still need to industrialized and are a bit behind, however we certainly have the brains and the effort to git gud.

Marzipan

Smash Rookie
NCSU scene here.

Sharkz comes by every other week to reminds us why he's on the PR. Everything is pretty chill though. MMs, fests, and get togethers are pretty frequent. Usually we just have fun with it.

Last edited:

CheAkiwara

Smash Rookie
German Smasher here.

The last couple of months been crazy here ! I've started playing late February / early March of this year and oh boy my town sure is great for smashers !

We have like one actual "pro" player reaper , we used to have Ice but he recently moved away so he doesnt count anymore. Then there are like 15 or more medium/semi-pro players living like an hour away.

It´s great here because we work or live so close to each other that we can often meet up spontaneously.

Toonstar

Smash Rookie
My old scene, back in Hawaii, was nonexistent. But now that I've moved to SoCal, it is a huge wake up call. There is quite a large community of smashers and they all vary from trash tier to demigod.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Funny story about Esam coming to locals near me. One time a tournament a way behind schedule and Esam wanted to leave since it was getting late. The TO let him leave with the prize money for first place. There was no issue about it either since everyone there knew no one could beat him.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Funny story about Esam coming to locals near me. One time a tournament a way behind schedule and Esam wanted to leave since it was getting late. The TO let him leave with the prize money for first place. There was no issue about it either since everyone there knew no one could beat him.
Grimey as **** imho

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Still kind of ****ed up that he didn't have to play it out...
I'd ask for a refund of venue fee and bounce, no joke. You pay to compete, not hand money to another competitor simply because he's skilled and pretentious, lol. He wouldn't want me to be the TO. I'd tell him do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'd assume they only went through with it because everyone thought it was fine. If anyone still in the bracket was opposed to it I'm sure they wouldn't have gone through with it

MattyMutt

Smash Cadet
My local scene is pretty good. As a whole we're pretty free, There's only like three players on the state PR that are anywhere near top level, and only one that anybody outside of the PacNW would recognize (Fat Goku and maybe Eggz if you're oldschool).

The scene in my town is great. We don't have any super noteworthy players, but we have a large body of solid players, and so there's lots of different players, styles, and characters to go up against. I get to play with good people all the time, and we're always pushing each other to get better. I definitely lucked out imo.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Man was I lucky to find a local smash scene around my local college.

First time I got to know them was a dream, first time I actually participated in a Melee tournament actually. Here in Case Western, Some are good players, some are great players! (I'd say borderline between what you call, "the in-between crowd" and "the highly skilled players". The room was big enough to hold everyone in it, and they stay up as late as possible for friendlies. I see a couple of low-tier mains as well, which is always fun to see (or at least people who use low-tier characters, even Kirby).

What a great experience!

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
My scene consists of 3 kinds of people:
~Bad Players~
These are the guys who don't play very often or just don't care enough to improve themselves or help others, but for some reason still show up to our tournaments. I'm not complaining though, the more people we have the better as long as they aren't violent.

~The Trolls~
Omg, so I found this meme, and it's so funny. I need to post it everywhere, and then while I'm playing against people in friendlies I'll unplug their controllers to win. That's really hilarious right? I'LL MONEY MATCH YOU RIGHT NOW! (Loses said money match) Well I never had the money so I can't give you the prize LAWL. We have a couple of these in our group and we had to crack down on a few of them because they were becoming cancerous and toxic.

~The Tryhards~
A about 10+ people care about getting better and we all actively get together on Monday's and Wednesdays and practice skills. We host locals 2 or 3 times a month and try to get more people involved. We mainly just focus on getting our scene to grow and progress.

So that the Peterborough Scene, it's pretty decent, and it took about 2 years for my friends and I to build it

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I've been frequenting a Smash club at University of Washington a lot recently, I was disappointed at first by the lack of Smash 4 but have been having a lot of fun trying to learn Melee and how Yoshi works in this game. Lots of SD's, needless to say. Most of the people here would probably be considered borderline-skilled, I still get 3-4 stocked for the most part but I'm probably one of the newest people to Melee here!

I don't really know people's names/tags yet since I've only being going for about 4 weeks, but the guys who lead the club seem like they would be able to hold their own in a tournament from what I've seen. I've heard from some people that Silent Wolf is a grad student at UW(??) which is really weird to think about, but if it's true that he is a student here, he doesn't come to club meetings most likely because he'd just body everyone. It would still be really cool to seem him in person though.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Kind of scattered throughout Northeast Ohio. There's mini scenes in Akron, Case Western, and Canton. Pittsburgh often shows up so it seems a little bigger than it probably is.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Esam goes to school in Clemson, so if he needs to pay rent or something, he just attends a local and totally cleans up shop and leaves with all the prize money. There are other top players who fall in this category of players who just drop by sometimes because they're close and then completely sweep it. Examples are Soft and Druggedfox. We're still working on getting PPMD to come to a tournament down here. Someday.
Fun fact: ESAM came to Chapel Hill for TMG v. Clemson this year. I got put up against an OK-I-guess Marth round 1 that I double two-stocked, then I was put up against ESAM in bracket (second round, RIP me). I took a stock off of his Samus game 1, but then he adapted, switched to Fox (which I had no knowledge of) and he 4-stocked me game 2. Then I got put up against Beeftip and lost because he's a part of the Chapel hill crew (I took 3 stocks off game 1, but then he adapted super well and 3 or 4 stocked me).

Basically, I have tough luck with brackets.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
NC Melee scene:
0. PP

1. $Mike
2. Twitch
3. Ronzell
4. L0ZR
5. Stingers
I think $Mike is the only person to take a game off of PP in bracket semi-recently.
Also in NC, in the raleigh area. Raleigh area is pretty strong, not even considering Kevin who also lives in Raleigh. Fun fact: 10 of NC's best players, 5 of which are currently PR'ed, live within a mile of each other, including Kevin.

Also, NC smash has the best taste in asian/indian food

Last edited:

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Well, since for some reason Northeast Ohio got smooshed with Pittsburgh, we kinda forced them to be called "Midwest" lmao. We have this really weird group of kids who only come out for Smash 4 at this one biweekly called Freedom, and they ONLY go to that tournament. They're really annoying online and never stop complaining when Smash 4 isn't there, but in real life they are quiet and antisocial. I don't like them very much lol.
Everyone who goes to these tournaments though is a regular when they happen, relative to where they live. There's regulars at every tournament I've been to, in Cleveland, Akron, Canton, etc... It's pretty nice since you know everybody in the area. I've only ever gone out to Pittsburgh once for Victory Road 3, and then realized how many better low leveled players they have. Will probably go out there more to see people, but the online FB group is where all the stuff happens.
PGH/NEOH is a very different region, since we still have a lot of trashtalking, beef, immaturity, hatred for eSports... It's amazing. It makes the experience better because we're all friends. Abate is a cool guy, and our top players can be considered "Hidden Bosses." (His tag is 4%, he took a game off of DJ Nintendo at TBH5, he's our best player.)
And there's like 3 girls who go to tournaments. I am the one who goes to them most frequently LMAOOOO

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also in NC, in the raleigh area. Raleigh area is pretty strong, not even considering Kevin who also lives in Raleigh. Fun fact: 10 of NC's best players, 5 of which are currently PR'ed, live within a mile of each other, including Kevin.

Also, NC smash has the best taste in asian/indian food
Yup, I'm in Apex and eagerly awaiting for NEG to bring back Melee bi-weeklies. I only had the chance to go to SNS once because Sunday is a bad day for me, but I think I can go more often now.

Top Bottom