• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo tested at NYC- Characters

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
So I was one of the lucky people who got to test the demo at NYC, and I am here to tell you all some things I learned about the characters that I have played. I didnt get to play them all over the course of a week but enough to know what changed.

Mario: Overall, he feels the same, but it's a bit harder to combo with him. However, it feels much more flashy. He still has up air strings but despite the changes, you can still do some smash 4 shenanigans...

-He can no longer do uptilt into itself because it has more ending lag.
-Down Throw has a different angle so it's harder to combo with.
-Dash attack is better, reaching further , but no longer shifts his hurtbox.
-Down tilt suffers similar flaws to uptilt as it's harder to combo with, although both tilts are still good combo tools. Instead of a speed nerf, down tilt has a different angle and has more base knockback.
-Up B requires you to travel longer to sweetspot the ledge.
-No moves using cappy.

Inkling: Inkling is not what you think. Despite good projectiles, they are surprisingly a bit better at closer range due to ink mechanics and mobility.

-Upair is good, covering herself from both sides, almost like sonic.
-Side B can lead into great kill confirms if used right. One thing I did was get a side B bury under battlefield and landed a charged upsmash around the 95-100 percentile.
-Down B is good as a zoning and edgegaurding tool, thans to the angles it can be thrown.
-Neutral B is your main special. Essentially bowser's neutral b but the range for hit stun is much closer, but inks the opponent at LONG distances. I may be incorrect but I think it has a small "windbox" since I slightly pushed my opponent when close to max range.
-She has decent neutrals. The frame data is good, but lacks range outside specials and smash attacks.

Sonic: My main in smash 4 feels almost the same in this game or even slightly better despite the mix of buffs and nerfs I noticed. They took what he's good at and made it better.

-Even though he can no longer cancel side b by shielding (which means you have to commit more), he's godlike at punishing whiffs and landings since he's still very speedy and the nerf to airdodges makes him one of the best at catching opponents.
-Homing attack has ALOT more startup, but can be released at 3 different timings now. Hard to tell if thats a buff or a nerf.
-Dash attack is better at crossing up since it's only one hit now but has good distance.
-Upthrow has less knockback. Combos more but kills at even later percents.
-Fthrow now sends forward rather than upward. Now it sets up for edgegaurds rather than juggles, but has a bit less knockback.
-More ending lag out of upb, making it a bit harder to chain aerials, but he can do it nontheless.
-ALl aerials except fair and nair have less ending lag and Back air does 16% and is easier to drift with, making it safer.

Ike: This character is definitely better. They gave him ridiculous things that make him almost amazing.

-Upair is now an arcing slash, meaning it covers his front and back a bit as well as above. However, it lasts less than his helicopter slash from previous games.
-Literally every aerial has less landing lag. Yes. EVERY AERIAL HAS LESS LANDING LAG.
-Fair has increased end lag. Also doesnt auto cancel out of a short hop.
-Fully charging eruption will fire 3 pillars of flames, making it safer and better at 2 framing at farther distance.
-Less end lag on uptilt

Zelda: I loved playing this zelda alot, and will be the first time I'll be actually using her as a secondary or even a main. The major problems she had are toned down and gave her some pretty big things.

-Dins fire no longer makes her helpless in the air.
-You can now move when using nayru's love in the air, making it better for hit and run or approaching.
-Farore's wind now has less startup and you gain more momentum when used out of a jump, and can even act sooner out of teleport.
-Jab does more damage and knockback as well as dash attack.
-Down B is now assembled, and releasing it at different times will attack differently depending on how much of the phantom is actually built

Villager: Villager is one of those characters who feels the same because he has not many if any changes. He's still a good character though.

-Jab has a finisher now, making it easier to box out opponents on you.
-Net pockets items, but does it really matter?

That's all for the characters I've played. There are definitely more things about the other characters, such as Bayo and her nerfs and buffs on Pit, Little Mac and Pacman.

Still cant wait for the real game! Hope December is Soon!

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
How were the lines and how many times a day did you get to play? I lived in NYC when they had it for Smash 4 and it was really not that bad, played 3-4 times in about an hour or so. Assuming it was worse this time?

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
How were the lines and how many times a day did you get to play? I lived in NYC when they had it for Smash 4 and it was really not that bad, played 3-4 times in about an hour or so. Assuming it was worse this time?
They had LONG lines and only 2-3 games per day. However, I cheesed my way with friends and got 1 extra game several times by waiting long enough for an employee change.
Maining::ultsonic::ultinkling:
Plans for secondary: :ulttoonlink::ultmario::ultlucina::ultgreninja::ultpichu::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultzelda:

For pockets: :ultvillager::ultwolf::ultbowserjr::ultike::ultmarth::ultmiifighters:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Do you know if Ike can Up B after his Side B like Fox, Falco, and Little Mac now can?

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Mixed feelings about sonic. I definitely want him to be good because it'll be so easy to just transition into ultimate and still be good with him. but I kinda want motivation to change my main haha. I knew I was maining sonic the second he was announced for brawl and would like a little change up but have no clue who else to play with now

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wait a second was Ridley removed from the NYC demo version?
Yea I just came to ask that because I saw a video.

According to Armada there was a pre E3 direct demo they were playing to prepare for the tournament that didn't have Ridley, so they could still be surprised. My guess is that was the one sent to the Nintendo store so they wouldn't leak him as they were less under Nindtendos control on the other side of the country.

ANYWAY This is a relief. I thought because I recently moved out of state I missed my chance to play Ridley, but instead I missed a chance of being furious in the middle of the Nintendo store when I realized I waited on line and couldn't play Ridley lol.

Top Bottom